Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Indeed. It still looks barely like a building - there is more scaffold and external support, than actual building fabric!
I wonder what the timescale actually is...

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I wouldn't be optimistic that the store will be there for Xmas 2012. They have completely demolished the existing structure and begun constructing a new shell, which is exactly what happened with the Primark store about 500 yards up Princes St - it took at least 12 months to construct, fit out and open up and that was only a clothes shop! Given the state of the development just now and the fact that it includes a hotel as well, I can't imagine they'll be throwing the building up in 4 months.

More excuses to visit Glasgow.......

Still, at least the new authorised repair centre is only about 50 yards from my flat. It would have been nice if they had opened it when my MBP actually needed servicing though :(

andymac2210

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
Folks, the building is completely hollowed out, I'd be surprised if there was anything there within a year.

dGp3u.jpg

Jamesr15

Oct 3, 2012
Apple Store for Edinburgh

As I passed it today it looks as if they are creating a new basement and only the external front/side walls remain with the rear walls partially demolished. This building would suit Apple very nicely with its location beside two of Edinburgh's Shopping Centres/Malls and the Second Largest Mainline Station in the UK.

A better location maybe would have been in the centre of the street but if they do move (whether the rumours are true or not) it would give this building some very good use and vistor numbers, especially with the proposed "Hotel" beside it.

Motel One will not be occupying this building as there is another building down Waverley Bridge that is being prepared for hotel use, and carries a gigantic MOTELONE Advert canvas around it. Hopefully though it will not be some Premier Inn as there is one 3 mins along the road above TopMan/Topshop

Silver Pegasus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Motel One will not be occupying this building as there is another building down Waverley Bridge that is being prepared for hotel use, and carries a gigantic MOTELONE Advert canvas around it.

Incorrect. They are to have two city centre hotels. That one opening early 2013 (likely unofficially in Dec 12), and another at this site late 2013/early 2014.

This is backed up by many sources but i'll supply firstly an article about it.

http://www.cntraveller.com/news/2012/september/motel-one-edinburgh-royal

Second from the actual planning docs that i supplied on the front page of this thread.

23uucrt.jpg

The Apple Store certainly will not be opening this year and i feel it will be lucky for it to open before August 2013.

This is a picture taken last week and it shows how much the developers have gutted the building, only leaving it's frontage on Princes St. The basement/lower store floor is being extended, as reported earlier. I have learnt a store manager has already been hired although i'm not sure why they would hire one a good 6-12 months before the building is able to be fitted out.

281zkhi.jpg

callumk13

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
Hope this will be ready for next Christmas!!! How long before an apple store opens do they start hiring on there website? What do they give u at a store opening?

Is there an authorised repair centre in edinburgh? Does it do warranty repairs?

I've noticed the stjames quarter website is gone???

Last edited:

jjw1980

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
Is there an authorised repair centre in edinburgh? Does it do warranty repairs?

I've noticed the stjames quarter website is gone???

Yes and yes, there is one on Queen Street. They are listed on the apple site as the only apple service centre in Edinburgh:

http://www.applerepairsedinburgh.co.uk/

There used to be one in Bonnyrigg, not sure what happened to them. Is the st james centre getting pulled down? It is pretty ugly!

GWIM2

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Scotland
No purchases any time soon, then....

I'm happy with the location and the proposed plan, makes sense to squeeze in an extra floor for hotel purposes as long as they retain / match the existing frontage, which probably needs a good going over anyway as pedestrians have been killed / injured by falling frontage masonry on Princes Street I remember.

I've got no problem with trams either - useful things, which is more than can be said for the planners ....:mad:

Mind you, my council taxes don't get paid in Edinburgh:D

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Ah didn't show when I checked initially but does now.

Not sure what to think of that! Maybe they are putting the store in another location after all.

JohnnyKennedy

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Applications..

Has anyone actually tried to apply to the job? Not just make a profile, but through the dedicated website.

When you filter into genius, and scotland, only the three current stores are listed? No Edinburgh.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Has anyone actually tried to apply to the job? Not just make a profile, but through the dedicated website.

When you filter into genius, and scotland, only the three current stores are listed? No Edinburgh.

Not tried, but I imagine they aren't recruiting just yet? If it really is going to be where the old Burger King used to be, that won't be finished till probably autumn 2013 at the earliest.

Seems too early to be recruiting if they won't be opening for another year.

CFB1989

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
I too had the same issue when applying, Edinburgh is listed until you try and apply and then it's not listed. And now the listings have disappeared :(

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
A new planning application ref:12/04359/LBC was submitted at the start of December. I'm not sure what changes from previous applications but on the proposed south elevation it states that the "frontage design to be part of a separate planning application submitted by tenant". Hopefully this will appear soon!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I hope Apple coming to Princes St, along with the trams finishing up, will restore our main shopping street back to it's glory..

Still not convinced by the location of the Apple Store, I've always had memories of beggars and fights at that end when it was Burger King!

Apple Store is the name, not Apple store ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.