Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
If this case works as well as their iPhone case, it's well worth the money. I drop my iPhone all the time, always take it into the shower with me, and just generally don't bother being at all gentle with it. The case has a few scuff marks and scratches, but the phone itself is as pristine and unharmed as the day I got it.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Seriously, why would I spend $160 for this thing when I can just have Applecare+, get two years of warranty, and just pay $49 for a new iPad if it gets wet? I can tell you that I wouldn't put my iPad under water with this thing on it, no matter what they say about it.
In most countries you can't get applecare+.
Soon the cases will cost just as much as the product.. This case looks nice but what is going to protect the screen from that 4-ft drop?:D
This also puzzles me. I've been under impression that the glass in iOS devices is the most breakable part.
Although being naked, it's much easier to install optically high quality matte film on top of bare glass than having just another plastic layer between.
Also, by monitoring my own iphone & ipad use, I've noticed that I drop far more likely small things (iphone) than bigger ones (ipad). Now I have otterbox defenders on both. Although I also have speck's skin over my MBP, I might survive with ipad with naked screen. Not so sure with upcoming ipad mini... At least I'm going to wait until amazon sells these LPs half price...

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Nice case but not for a $160. I thought ~$100 would be a little overpriced but once I saw the price tag for this, no thank you.

Larrywb

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
CT
My wife and I both have iPads, purchasing 2 of these would cost $300, half the cost of a new one.

I'd rather hold off and buy a new one with that money if we drop it in water....

jdylan

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
Bagram, Afghanistan
Why the hate?

Clearly, he was talking about the screen of the iPad serving as a protector instead of a cumbersome plastic slate. Idiot.

Really, Fresh Pie. Why the hateful talk, why call the person an idiot and a moron? You must really be perfect in every aspect of your life. You come across as a hateful ******. Chill out.:confused:

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
Hello
i wanted to ask, since there is no screen cover, doesnt the water or salt water or juices or whatever stain the screen or ruin it on the iphone? What about the main button on the iphone, doesnt water go in? Is it nice and safe? Do you actually shower with it without problems? How does the sound come out from it since its blocked from the bottom? Have you tried the lifeproof earphone jack and so on that you could connect so you could listen to earphones underwater?
Thank you :)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Really, Fresh Pie. Why the hateful talk, why call the person an idiot and a moron? You must really be perfect in every aspect of your life. You come across as a hateful ******. Chill out.:confused:

You're a bit slow today, too. Look who I was quoting. ;)

Titanium81

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2011
If this case works as well as their iPhone case, it's well worth the money. I drop my iPhone all the time, always take it into the shower with me, and just generally don't bother being at all gentle with it. The case has a few scuff marks and scratches, but the phone itself is as pristine and unharmed as the day I got it.

+1 for LifeProof Cases

Blomkvist

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
North Carolina
Huh? Did you even read the article?

images

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
You're paying a good percentage of the device's price for that thing. That's like paying $12,000 for insurance on a $30k car. Why not just treat the device like it's a $399 piece of equipment and be careful with it. Should something happen then you buy another one but it's a big price to pay for insurance that most will never need. Plus if you do drop your device in the water (why you'd have to use it near water, I'm not sure), it's likely close to the time the next model will be released and you'll want the new version anyways.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You're paying a good percentage of the device's price for that thing. That's like paying $12,000 for insurance on a $30k car. Why not just treat the device like it's a $399 piece of equipment and be careful with it. Should something happen then you buy another one but it's a big price to pay for insurance that most will never need. Plus if you do drop your device in the water (why you'd have to use it near water, I'm not sure), it's likely close to the time the next model will be released and you'll want the new version anyways.

How about if you have the $830 iPad3 with LTE?

What if you are near water day to day often? On a boat, on a dock, near a pool, near a sink, near a tub, outside in a rainy part of the country? I can think of hundreds of real scenarios where would use an ipad near water.

SteaKnife

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
Grover CO
I have a iPhone lifeproof, it wasnt worth 80 bucks, but it was pretty shock proof and water proof, I didnt like the headphone jack thing though..

dan4877

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Ok, so trying to push through the arguing and banter here... overall the case looks pretty well built, are there any issues using my iphone/ipad with it on?

dwhittington

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Awesome!

This is nothing short of awesome. I'd say the nüüd looks sexy too. Well worth the pricetag based upon my LifeProof iPhone case experience.

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Yes you are paying a good percentage of the price of the iPad, however it enables you to do things with your ipad that you simply could not do without a waterproof case.

In my application if I were to go without a waterproof case, i'd be without an ipad within an hour. So I either pay the price for a waterproof case or don't use the ipad in my application.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
How about if you have the $830 iPad3 with LTE?

What if you are near water day to day often? On a boat, on a dock, near a pool, near a sink, near a tub, outside in a rainy part of the country? I can think of hundreds of real scenarios where would use an ipad near water.

Why do you really need to bring your iPad on the boat? Can you not be away from your electronics for one minute to enjoy some time out on the water?

I can see it for someone that works a job where they may have to be outside or on the water but for 99.9% of people out there, why bother? Why not just buy a warranty that will cover your device for 1/2 the price should you drop it in and lose it? The warranty will cover all kinds of other problems too.

Or why not opt for the Liquipel coating you can get that adds no bulk and doesn't require a case of any type? It's still cheaper than this option and you can throw any case on it on top of that too if you like.

Last edited:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Why do you really need to bring your iPad on the boat? Can you not be away from your electronics for one minute to enjoy some time out on the water?

I can see it for someone that works a job where they may have to be outside or on the water but for 99.9% of people out there, why bother? Why not just buy a warranty that will cover your device for 1/2 the price should you drop it in and lose it? The warranty will cover all kinds of other problems too.
I think your're right that the majority of users don't have a practical need for this case, but I wouldn't peg them at 99.9%. Not everyone relaxes on a boat, believe it or not the maritime industry employs more people people than the airline industry. If pilots have a legitimate use for ipads, why not boat captains, dock managers, etc.

How about construction foremen? Or civil engineers who often visit job sites. Ipads are quite useful in those fields as well, especially compared to the alternative which is a big, fugly, and slow Panasonic Toughbook.

Or why not opt for the Liquipel coating you can get that adds no bulk and doesn't require a case of any type? It's still cheaper than this option and you can throw any case on it on top of that too if you like.
This doesn't protect against drops, dust, mud, etc.

dan4877

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Ok, so trying to push through the arguing and banter here... overall the case looks pretty well built, are there any issues using my iphone/ipad with it on?

As in are there any issues using my touchscreen through the case?

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
for anyone that is saying... "why pay 150 for a case for a 399 iPad, that is just stupid"

consider this.... not everyone has a 399 iPad. I have a 64GB 3G version at around 900 bucks. I also have small children who like to watch netflix and play games on it when we are on vacation or travelling. While most tech nerds protect their electronics with their life I bought the iPad to use to it's fullest extent and one drop by a 4 year old could spell the end of the iPad. One glass of spilled milk or whatever also another killed iPad. This cover makes using the iPad CONSISTENTLY SAFER in all these situations. I have one and will be water testing it tonight.

If you think 150 is too much for a waterproof case, don't buy one but certainly don't negate the needs of everyone else but you.

SouthBeachMac

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010

FYI, I am replacing my depthfinder/chart plotter with the iPad, so that's a pretty good reason for me.

Also, did anyone get the email just sent out that apparently dropped the price to $129?

See link here.

acb0173

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
I already bought the RAM mount to mount to my steering rail/guard. Here is the plan I have. I have two ipads on the boat and one macbook pro. I have a Dual bluetooth GPS receiver and am running mac enc on my macbook pro in the nav station (i haven't picked the charting program for the ipads yet). There are a couple of programs that interface with mac enc. Anyhow, my current plan is to run the ipad/macbook pro navigation setup next to my current 10" chartplotter on our next bahamas trip and see which I like better, I'm pretty sure I know the answer already LOL.

Once all that it done I plan to, tie it in so I can run my music from the cockpit and even stream a movie from my macbook pro to one of the iPads. We have an 26 hour run each way so it's nice to have various forms of entertainment.

:D
phinsup, which RAM mount did you use to mount the iPad w/the Lifeproof case? I want to get one for mounting it on my Jet-Boat, but according to the specs on RAM's website, I didn't see one that would hold it with the LifeProof case.

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
phinsup, which RAM mount did you use to mount the iPad w/the Lifeproof case? I want to get one for mounting it on my Jet-Boat, but according to the specs on RAM's website, I didn't see one that would hold it with the LifeProof case.

I am using the ram RAM-HOL-TAB3U with a railmount. I am not sure if the rail mount is made by Ram or not.

Keep in mind I am not using the Lifeproof case, I ended up with the scanpod waterproof case and it barely fits in this mount. I think you would be fine with the lifeproof.

macgarden

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
Internet Manners

A perfect example of someone hiding behind their computer out in the cloud and making remarks that they would never make to someones face...Rude:apple:

Clearly, he was talking about the screen of the iPad serving as a protector instead of a cumbersome plastic slate. Idiot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.