Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I feel like my iPhone 5 is slower than when I first purchased it.

Of course, I've downloaded some apps, snaps some pics, etc.

How can I speed it up again?

Restore? Turn off? Reset?

What should I do?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

What should I do?

a phone is not a computer that requires VM to run smoothly and will lose performance based on low memory or platter disks that go slower as memory fills to the outside bands.

if there is anything going on beyond placebo effect then it is either some piece of software you installed messing with the system (more possible now with how open the iOS has become) or you have jailbroken your phone, which tends to hinder performance.

Otherwise there is a hardware failure and you should bring it in to be replaced.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

What should I do?

I'd suggest the following (in this order):

1. Restart
  2. Reset
  3. Restore (from backup)
  4. Restore (as new)
If after each of those you're still not satisfied, I'd suggest visiting an Apple Store.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Your point of reference may have changed now that you got used to it. It is like first jumping in a fast car coming from a slower car and being amazed but after a while you get used to the speed and maybe expect more?

Without quantitative speed benchmark stats, it is hard to say if you are right or not. Try running some sunspider or geekbench tests to see if you are valid.

From my experience, I do notice when the A6 processor throttles itself to lower speeds when battery is low to conserve energy. I can confirm this by opening Geekbench 2 and seeing the CPU reported to 600-800MHz vs the 1.3GHz when under load or charging when the CPU ramps up. That may be what you are experiencing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.