Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Pre-set compatibility question

Now that we have an AppleTV 3 preset is that what should be used is a "default" for ripping DVD's/Blu-Ray's? I know that people were also using high profile I thought and I'm a little unsure of the difference between high profile and Apple TV 3?

Also - is there an updated list of apple device compatibility with Apple TV 3? What devices might that work on?

Ideally I want the highest quality encode first with device compatibility for iPads and such second.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
Quick question....I'm trying to use handbrake to the entire 3rd season of Community, but it's only ripping the first episode off the first disc. I've figured out how to rip individual episodes, but is there a way to just rip the entire disc into one file to play on my ATV/iPhone?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Quick question....I'm trying to use handbrake to the entire 3rd season of Community, but it's only ripping the first episode off the first disc. I've figured out how to rip individual episodes, but is there a way to just rip the entire disc into one file to play on my ATV/iPhone?

No. But you can rip them all and join them using mp4tools. My preferred method is to rip to mkv, using MakeMKV, use mkvToolnix to join the mkv's and then HB the mkv file. Sometimes, just sometimes, mp4tools can create sync issues. Joining the mkv's prior to transcoding avoids that potential problem.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Quick question.

Why would you want all episodes to play as one long movie? Makes it hard to tag and watch doesn't it?

If you do choose to go that route, be sure to re-number the chapters of the successive episodes as you add them to the original. Or else you will end up with the original chapters with the last being one long chapter.

scpetit

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
Audio HELP

I am trying to figure out the best audio encoding.I am a long time PC user and have had great success using WMNicEncto convert MKV to playback on XBOX360.

Bought and AppleTV and Macbook pro because everyonesays Apple is better but so far all the encoding is inferior to the settings I have been accustom too

For Example take a movie like SAFE (Jason Statham)
WMNicEnc can rip the original audio track (English 1510KBps 6channel DTS) to 768kbps 5.1 audio

under Handbrake it wants to default to Dolby Prologic II which is not 5.1 DD. There are options for AC3 ffmpeg with a max bitrate of 640kbps.Is this the one to use?

sidenote the AC3 passthough switches auto to DTS and will not xfer over that track naturally

Thanks for any input!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I am trying to figure out the best audio encoding.I am a long time PC user and have had great success using WMNicEncto convert MKV to playback on XBOX360.

Bought and AppleTV and Macbook pro because everyonesays Apple is better but so far all the encoding is inferior to the settings I have been accustom too

For Example take a movie like SAFE (Jason Statham)
WMNicEnc can rip the original audio track (English 1510KBps 6channel DTS) to 768kbps 5.1 audio

under Handbrake it wants to default to Dolby Prologic II which is not 5.1 DD. There are options for AC3 ffmpeg with a max bitrate of 640kbps.Is this the one to use?

sidenote the AC3 passthough switches auto to DTS and will not xfer over that track naturally

Thanks for any input!
If I remember correctly (can look at the selections right now as I am encoding something) Track should be: dts, Codec: AC3 ffmpeg, mix down: 6 channel discrete.

scpetit

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
If I remember correctly (can look at the selections right now as I am encoding something) Track should be: dts, Codec: AC3 ffmpeg, mix down: 6 channel discrete.

Cool thanks a bunch...the other thing I ran into..is it necessary when doing the encoding to add a 2nd audio channel for 2 channel down the road? Where would this be useful? ipAd maybe or something

aggmiami

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
I have two aTV2's that I purchased when first launched, but have been considering an aTV3 in order to get the 1080p playback benefits...however slight they may be. Does the aTV2 downconvert/downscale the 1080p aTV3 Handbrake file to 720p on the fly? Or are you forced to have two seperate Handbrake files in order to play the same video through both devices?

jlluna

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Holly Michigan
I have 2, 2nd gen apple tv's and 1 Apple TV 3 . I use the (Apple TV preset) in handbrake to convert mkv bluray files.They both play fine on Apple TV 2nd gen and 3rd gen. Can not really notice picture difference between the Apple TV 2nd gen and the 3rd gen.

Amazee Dayzee

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
Anybody know about the newest version of Handbrake? This one: http://i43.tinypic.com/14ka5v8.png

I try to burn a movie. First of all, no matter which presets I try, it always came out pixelated. And second of all, it comes out in a VLC format and it won't let me play it on iTunes. This coming Sunday I have an 18 hour road trip, so somebody please tell me how to figure the damn thing out.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Anybody know about the newest version of Handbrake? This one: http://i43.tinypic.com/14ka5v8.png

I try to burn a movie. First of all, no matter which presets I try, it always came out pixelated. And second of all, it comes out in a VLC format and it won't let me play it on iTunes. This coming Sunday I have an 18 hour road trip, so somebody please tell me how to figure the damn thing out.

Have a look at my post on the other forum. I think you have a copy protection problem (causes pixelation). Try removing it with MakeMKV and then using Handbrake.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
And second of all, it comes out in a VLC format and it won't let me play it on iTunes.

What exactly is a "VLC format" ? You said the same thing in your other post.
As I said pastbin.com your activity log. this will tell us exactly what is going on. Beyond that there is little anyone can do for you. If you want help you need to help yourself first.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
What exactly is a "VLC format" ? You said the same thing in your other post.
As I said pastbin.com your activity log. this will tell us exactly what is going on. Beyond that there is little anyone can do for you. If you want help you need to help yourself first.
Maybe he means a .vlc video format, which are rather rare. More likely he just means a compatible extension for VLC player? In that case it can be anything: mkv, avi, mp4, ...

mrholder

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Handbrake SD setting

What is the best handbrake setting for a standard definition dvd rip? Universal or iPhone? Just ripping TV episodes to watch on iphone 5 or an ipad. Planning on getting an Apple TV for the holidays.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
What is the best handbrake setting for a standard definition dvd rip? Universal or iPhone? Just ripping TV episodes to watch on iphone 5 or an ipad. Planning on getting an Apple TV for the holidays.

You can probably get away with 750-900Kb/s "average" bitrate and using "slow" for the x264 preset. Do a couple test runs and see how it looks. That's what I use for our ipad and it looks fine and keeps the space down.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Here are my settings for DVD's and Bluray's.

File sizes end up being around 3-4GB for DVD's and 10-16GB's for Blu-ray's.

I also add
Track 1 - AAC Stereo @ 160Kbps
Track 2 - AC3 5.1 @ 640Kbps

Quality is as good as original and no visible pixilation on a 82" screen.

handbrake-dvd.jpg

handbrake-bluray.jpg

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I have personally ditched the constant bitrate mode in favor of the constant quality (Variable Bitrate : VBR) mode. Gives better quality vs file size results.

I had issues trying to find a happy medium. Especially with animations. It would either undershoot and give a small file with noticable pixelalation or it would blow up to these 20 something gig files. Plus with Blurays you get a lot of film grain which can affect it. So I went the constant bitrate and I was ok with the predictable file sizes.

mrholder

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Here are my settings for DVD's and Bluray's.

File sizes end up being around 3-4GB for DVD's and 10-16GB's for Blu-ray's.

I also add
Track 1 - AAC Stereo @ 160Kbps
Track 2 - AC3 5.1 @ 640Kbps

Quality is as good as original and no visible pixilation on a 82" screen.

Thanks for the info.

bwfc0907

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Bolton, UK
What's the best setting for ipad mini? What resolution is the file in the ipad preset! 720p?

What resolution is the iphone preset?

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
What's the best setting for ipad mini? What resolution is the file in the ipad preset! 720p?

What resolution is the iphone preset?

The retina iPads have resolutions of over 1080p. Depending on the iPhone (assuming you have a 5+) any file you convert for the retina iPad should work on your iPhone. I would recommend the Apple TV 3 setting (others have commented works on retina iPad) but I've had mixed results on a iPhone 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.