Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Took these yesterday

There is a blur in the bottom left of the first one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Been playing with the camera today post iOS 6.0.1 and I'm finding it _much_ harder to cause the purple fringing than before.

Of some photos I took today I only managed a couple that had it (was just taking normal shots and also trying to cause it) and one of those only the HDR photo really showed it. Last week, on a day equally as grey as today every other shot was getting purple fringing unless I shifted the angle around (not sun, just grey sky).

Anyone else finding this?

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
So what happens when you use the Maps app and take a picture with the purple haze in it at the same time? Does that rip a hole in the fabric of space and time?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's simple really, my iPhone 4S camera is better under all conditions than the camera on my iPhone 5.

There's no purple flare on iP4S. It's true you should avoid shooting into the sun, but sometimes there's not another camera angle possible. When needed & you must, you'll always get a better flare free result from iPhone 4S.

I have no problem sharing that truth, because I don't need to proclaim my iPhone 5 the best to protect my ego, Apple, or my purchase decision.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
It's simple really, my iPhone 4S camera is better under all conditions than the camera on my iPhone 5.

There's no purple flare on iP4S. It's true you should avoid shooting into the sun, but sometimes there's not another camera angle possible. When needed & you must, you'll always get a better flare free result from iPhone 4S.

I have no problem sharing that truth, because I don't need to proclaim my iPhone 5 the best to protect my ego, Apple, or my purchase decision.
Is there anything else different besides the purple flare?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Is there anything else different besides the purple flare?

I am _not_ bashing the iPhone 5, it certainly has it's appeal for many, but for me I find it uninteresting.

The 4S on the other hand, has features I've grown accustomed to and am unwilling to live without. iOS 5 is far and away my favorite version of iOS. iOS 6 is a pain to use. Not difficult, just simply has nothing of value to me. Google Maps is a must have, since despite my best efforts to be patience with Apple Maps is just not cutting it.

They are missing many parts of the areas in CA that I travel in. Areas that are major metro cities, (not backwoods) like Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego and others. Huge sections of those cities missing or roads incorrectly mapped. Apple maps will be fine in a year or two, but I must have functionality now.

The easily scratched finish (and I'm very careful) and other issues, are just too annoying to put up with.

That said I am very certain that the next iPhone will have these all resolved and will be the phone to have. That's Apple's pattern and it's proven.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

I see someone bumped up this thread, but I thought I'd reply to this anyway.

This is technically not true. The low-light capabilities of the iPhone 5 allow it to let in more light than any other smart phone on the market. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first phone sensor that allows you to push the ISO up to 3200.

Now personally, I do see the purple flare more on the iPhone 5 than on the iPhone 4S, but it's still there on the 4S. If it ever becomes noticeable on a particular photo I've taken, I run it through Perfectly Clear, a photography app that has a "de-Purple" mode made specifically to remove this artifact.

In any case, I do not believe it is accurate to say the iPhone 4S camera is better under all conditions.

----------

THis doesn't seem like something that can be cured with an update.

Hmmm....

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/26/the-iphone-5s-camera-is-faulty-shows-a-purple-haze/

This can definitely be fixed in software. Here are some before and after examples with Perfectly Clear:

Before:

DRjht.jpg

After:

QQ99K.jpg

Before:

yXPUe.png

After:

cYCUA.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.