Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi
So, I've got a DS212j from Synology that I just bought for time machine backups.
Problem is, every few days I get this error:
Code:
Time Machine completed a verification of your backups. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.
(see screenshot).
I'm considering upgrading to Mountain Lion, but one of the things that would really make me is if this thing was fixed. Synology tell me the problem originated from Lion and didn't occur in Snow Leopard.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 11.44.23.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 11.44.23.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
This isn't an Apple problem. The problem is with netatalk, the opensource library that Synology uses.

I am actually about to give up on using the synology for time machine backups. I tried 4.1 beta, which upgraded netatalk to 2.2.3 and I still get this problem.

Do you use time machine over wireless? Synology says that time machine over wireless is not supported. Apparently the added latency is what causes this problem with netatalk.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
This isn't an Apple problem. The problem is with netatalk, the opensource library that Synology uses.

I am actually about to give up on using the synology for time machine backups. I tried 4.1 beta, which upgraded netatalk to 2.2.3 and I still get this problem.

Do you use time machine over wireless? Synology says that time machine over wireless is not supported. Apparently the added latency is what causes this problem with netatalk.

Thanks
I've written back to Snology pointing out the issue and referring to netatalk. I've also written reviews here and there and pointed out to relevant threads of complaints. Hopefully they will get the message.

eric44

macrumors member
May 18, 2008
Interesting... I have been using my DS212 for around two weeks to back up our three macs.
My DS212 is connected to an airport extreme by an ethernet cable then everything is done over wifi.
I have had this happen once when I swapped our dead time capsule for the extreme.
It happened when we were on Lion, now two are on ML and one is on Lion but all seems well.
Is this some thing that happens regularly for some people? Any pattern?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Went back to the 4th gen TC because both the Synology and WD NAS had issues with netatalk. Now TM just works perfectly and wirelessly.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Never used TM with lion, but my rMBP didnt want to do a Backup on my DS211j until i updated the software.
But i'm still not using the newest one, because of other Software i have running on it.

I think i'm using DSM3.2 now and had 3.0 or 3.1 before... but would have to check at home to be sure. I chose this version, because it's the first version that apparently fixed the backup for lion.

Been working great over WiFi (well, synology itself is connected with Ethernet to my Router) for over 3 Weeks now.

Edit: To clarify: i'm using it with ML without problems (so far).

Last edited:

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Thanks - encouraging. Post back here if you do get the error.
I'm move interested in getting them to update to the latest version of netatalk. Nobody knows how to do this manually or to force it do they?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Ever since going to Mountain Lion I am unable to use Time Machine with Synology DS 212+ with their latest software (4.0-2228). I get the following error:

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “ds”.
The backup disk is not available.

I can access the Share Folder from Finder without any problems.

I get this both on my Mac Mini (wired) and my Mac Air (wireless).

I have tried creating a new disk and then reselecting and can not get it to work. I no problems prior to installing Mountain Lion.

Any ideas?

I contacted Synology support but got NO REPLY.

Last edited:

netb0y

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2004
Ever since going to Mountain Lion I am unable to use Time Machine with Synology DS 212+ with their latest software (4.0-2228). I get the following error:

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “ds”.
The backup disk is not available.

I can access the Share Folder from Finder without any problems.

I get this both on my Mac Mini (wired) and my Mac Air (wireless).

I have tried creating a new disk and then reselecting and can not get it to work. I no problems prior to installing Mountain Lion.

Any ideas?

I contacted Synology support but got NO REPLY.

Mike, I am having the same issue. Were you able to find a resolution?

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
My backups last about a month or two before synology corrupts them. I'm actually having to redo my time machine back-ups right now.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Mike, I am having the same issue. Were you able to find a resolution?
NO. i was told by them to try the BETA software but others said that they were still having problems. So I decided to go with a Time Capsule for my backups. I use Synology for my business and did not want to run BETA Software. For my primary use of Synology is great but not for TM Backups.

paddy2042

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2005
I am using a New iMac with Lion, doing a simple time machine backup to a 3TB Time Capsule wirelessly. The Time Capsule is less than 5 metres from the iMac and I still am getting the message "Time Machine completed a verification of your backups.* To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you"
I am totally fed up with the inadequacy of this system and have reverted to a SuperDuper backup on a USB connected external drive.

I cannot believe Apple is not looking into this. After paying over $500 for the Time Capsule I would be better using it as a door stop!..It seems a little unfair to blame wireless networking when the machine and TC are so close together.

I would upgrade to Mountain Lion if I thought it worked but this does not seem to be the case.

paddy

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I am using a New iMac with Lion, doing a simple time machine backup to a 3TB Time Capsule wirelessly. The Time Capsule is less than 5 metres from the iMac and I still am getting the message "Time Machine completed a verification of your backups.* To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you"
I am totally fed up with the inadequacy of this system and have reverted to a SuperDuper backup on a USB connected external drive.

I cannot believe Apple is not looking into this. After paying over $500 for the Time Capsule I would be better using it as a door stop!..It seems a little unfair to blame wireless networking when the machine and TC are so close together.

I would upgrade to Mountain Lion if I thought it worked but this does not seem to be the case.

paddy

It doesn't matter how close the TC is to your iMac, it's how close are both your iMac and the TC to your wireless router (assuming you're using wireless connections for both)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.