Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released a new 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, an upgrade to Apple's most popular notebook. The new Retina model, like it's 15" brethren, strips out the optical drive to limit thickness and weight, while adding a new 2,560 x 1,600 pixel display. The new MacBook Pro is 20% thinner than its full-size brother and weighs 3.57 pounds.

retinambp1.jpg
The new MacBook Pro packs more than 4 million pixels into its 13-inch Retina display, nearly twice the number of pixels in an HD television. At 227 pixels per inch, the Retina display's pixel density is so high the human eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels at a normal viewing distance, so images look sharp and text looks like it does on the printed page. With four times the pixels of the current 13-inch MacBook Pro, you can view and edit video in pixel-accurate 1080p and see a new level of detail in high resolution images. The 13-inch Retina display uses IPS technology for a 178-degree wide viewing angle, and has 75 percent less reflection and 28 percent higher contrast than the current generation.
Internally, the updated MacBook Pro will offer flash storage, Intel dual-core Ivy Bridge processors, and Intel HD Graphics 4000. It can be configured with up to 768 GB of flash storage. The 13-inch retina display MacBook Pro will start at $1,699 with a 128 GB flash drive and 8 GB of RAM. It begins shipping today.

The full-size MacBook Pro with optical drive remains available.

Article Link: Apple Introduces 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Last edited:

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Good looking computer but I think the price is a bit high considering it's powered by an Intel video card :/

Katanae

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Been waiting for this for a year and said to myself I was going to get one no matter what, but this is too much. Only 500$ less than the 15" and half the Storage and no dedicated graphics. 1499 or MAYBE 1599 would have been reasonable.

ericdubya

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
Good looking computer but I think the price is a bit high considering it's powered by an Intel video card :/

When you compare it to the cMBP the $500 difference could be the cost of the retina display, SSD drive, and the compact designed. Though I would like a dedicated graphics chip, I think the heat, space and cost could be an issue.

Mrchubaka

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Im not sure if getting this ivy bridge version or wait next year for the haswell version of the macbook pro 13 retina

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
No brainer to wait for Haswell on the 13" rMBP, look at the intermittent scrolling issues on the 15" rMBP, they will be more than intermittent on the 13"!

thefizzle657

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
Remember how everybody was talking about how removing the optical drive was going to mean larger battery/more battery life, discrete graphics in the 13" and the greatest computers ever? Funny how none of that happened.

This is IMO way to expensive for what you get.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
What are the prices on the different configurations?

With the 2.5GHz i5 | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD the difference is $200 - $1499 for the MBP and $1699 for the rMBP.

Completely shocked they didn't put a dedicated video card in this. Surely driving the extra pixels is gonna take a hit on performance?

It shouldn't. Remember it's driving the equivalent of a 27" ACD / ATD and I don't recall people saying that the current MBP can't do that smoothly.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
sexy

sexy
gonna order a maxed out one
play with it for a bit and then throw it back in their face

these trends they are pulling out of their anazes really are not funny anymore

17" MacBook Pro all the way.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Completely shocked they didn't put a dedicated video card in this. Surely driving the extra pixels is gonna take a hit on performance?

I'm gonna stick with buying an Air this time then.

The rMBP 15 is running fine with it. I don't see how this is an issue unless you really need a dGPU unless you need it to run graphically intensive programs. Plus this is pushing less pixels than the 15 so it'll be easier on it.

----------

Wait is this thicker than the rMBP15?

I was reading that this was .75?

The rMBP15 is .71

and the Air is .68

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I'm sorry, but $1699 for 128 GB is outrageous and simply a rip-off. The base 13" MBP is a FAR better value - and the 2.9 GHz 13" looks like a steal next to these.

Oh well. We can hope they'll come down price-wise. At those prices, no way I'd buy one - and I was ready to pull the trigger to replace my 15".

And who knows? Perhaps they'll offer a non-outrageous upgrade to 16 GB RAM.

Last edited:

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
wow ... At that price .. nah no thanks ... $1700 for rMBP with dual core i5 or no dGFX card & 128GB SDD ... Good luck

15" rMBP look better option

& ipad mini at that price with user lock down ... MS surface seems better choice .. its support USB & SD card ...

Last edited:

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
So for £1699 I can buy a 13 inch macbook pro with integrated graphics, 256gb flash storage and an i5 processor, or I can spend £100 more and get a 15 inch version with an i7 and dedicated GPU.

Seriously?

Last edited:

MarkVI

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
If you had to decide between 13" MacBook Air i7 256gb SSD and 8GB Memory vs the $1699 MBP 13" retina, what would you choose?

I'm curious because I just had to decide on a work laptop last last week and now I'm wondering if it was the right decision, and/or if maybe I can change my decision. Of course, I'm a bit worried how well the integrated graphics will be able to handle the retina display. Perhaps it's best to wait til the next generation when they've perfected it more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.