Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As rumored, Apple announced the new iPad mini at today's media event. The device features a 7.9-inch display with a resolution of 1024x768 pixels, measures just 7.2 millimeters thin and weighs 0.68 pounds.

ipad_mini_promo.jpg
Internally, the iPad Mini has a dual-core A5 processor, a Facetime HD camera on the front and a 5-megapixel camera on the rear, 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity, and 4G LTE cellular connectivity in some models. Despite its smaller size, the iPad mini still offers up to 10 hours of battery life.
"iPad mini is every inch an iPad. With its gorgeous 7.9-inch display, iPad mini features the same number of pixels as the original iPad and iPad 2, so you can run more than 275,000 apps designed specifically for iPad," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "iPad mini is as thin as a pencil and as light as a pad of paper, yet packs a fast A5 chip, FaceTime HD and 5 megapixel iSight cameras and ultrafast wireless-all while delivering up to 10 hours of battery life."
With the same resolution as the iPad 2, all existing iPad apps that work on the older iPad 2 will work on the iPad mini without any need for developers to make modifications to their existing apps.

The iPad mini starts at $329 for the 16 GB Wi-Fi model, with the 32 GB Wi-Fi model priced at $429 and the 64 GB Wi-Fi model coming in at $529. The models with cellular capability cost an additional $130. All models are available in the same black/slate and white/silver color schemes seen on the iPhone 5.

Pre-orders for the iPad mini will start on Friday, October 26 with the Wi-Fi models shipping on November 2 and the cellular models starting to ship two weeks later.

Apple has also introduced new polyurethane iPad mini Smart Covers in six different colors, priced at $39 each. Apple also now has a full suite of Lightning adapters to support USB camera connections, SD cards and VGA or HDMI connectivity.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New 7.9-Inch iPad Mini Starting at $329

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
iPhone 5 gets an A6 and this stays with the A5? :confused: I guess we already know something about what we can expect with the next iPad Mini update.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Looks like a great unit but I can see that price keeping sales down. I'm sure they'd be making a decent profit even at $249 (or somewhere inbetween like 279). Especially when the $199 kindle has higher resolution, it's weird to see Apple introduce a product with lower resolution and ppi than what's already available.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Lack of retina means this will probably be one of the shortest product life cycles in history - maybe as short as my iPad3 :)

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus a far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crApple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7, and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple has excreted...

Last edited:

audioteknika

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
This bad marketing decision is the starting point of the downfall of Apple, whether you like it or not.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Fairly disappointed in the iPad mini. Priced a little too high given the spec.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Seeing it shows how completely different it is from the other smaller devices. People will pay for this difference, it is huge.

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crapple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7 and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple his excreted...

Buying a Nexus 7 would be pointless for me. It's not just about the hardware. It is that Apple has created an eco system that is damn near impossible to escape. If you have invested heavily in the Apple eco system this is a no brainer.

If you have flexibility then go with the Nexus or whatever else they are doing.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
wow, this thing looks so nice, i think i may buy one for my wife. she would never take our iPad 3 out of the house cause she thinks its too big.

this size is perfect for her handbag, and the price is ok with me. just wish it had retina display.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
One word on iPad 4 "Fail"

How many ipad 3 owners are upset? Raise your hand!
And $329 NOT!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.