Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
This sounds similar to Intel's SRT (SSD caching) but with OS X managing the locations, and it does not appear to be a cache, but just additional drive space.

Having just put an SSD into my MBP after pulling the optical drive, I'd like to have this functionality there.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Did they remove the FW800 port too? I have 4 FW enclosures on the floor connected to my 2011 iMac. Guess I won't be upgrading until Thunderbolt prices come down to my level.

For the price you are spending on an iMac, the thunderbolt to firewire adapter shouldn't be too unreasonable of a purchase. $30

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
The flash in hybrids is used typically for cache.

Apple, instead, is going the whole nine yards: using the SSD for OS and apps as well, while data goes in the HDD.

You're missing my point.

It's still a cache. A bigger one, perhaps, but it's exactly the same concept. Especially given that it's determining what to load into automatically - we'll see how well that works!

You're NOT missing my point. :)

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Guarantee that RAM is soldered as well. Price increase and the thin BS I could care less about. i5 at those prices still? Pass. I'll build one myself Apple, and use your OS if I want.

EDIT: 21 inch is non replaceable 27 inch is. For now.

Last edited by a moderator:

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Really dumb to make the iMac that thin and take away the optical drive. There was no need to do that.

vandeetz

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
I was really thinking of getting this, but I think I'm going to have to pass.

thin and light is great when using a laptop or a tablet, I don't see the advantage in a desktop unit. I'm not concerned with these in a non portable and would prefer to have an optical drive. I'm not willing to spend more money and have increased desk clutter to have an external dvd drive.

I'm just not willing to pay these prices for less functionality and I can't imagine anyone that wants an optical drive would buy one of these machines. Unfortunately the Mac Pro's have become strictly pro machines ($$$) and those that would take a tower are left out in the cold here.

beyond that I hate that with every new machine I have less and less user serviceable parts. I want to be able to do minor upgrades. I'm not going to buy a new computer every couple years and being able to upgrade parts is huge in extending the life of you computer.

just my 2¢

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
I just bought my iMac in January but this new design is a must-have for me. Luckily, Macs have great resell value so my outta pocket expense won't be too bad.

This machine is love at first sight. I cannot wait to meet her in person.

Sell it RIGHT NOW. In my experience, the rest of the world DOESN'T check MacRumors.com 3 times a day... you only have about a week before yours is no longer the 'latest model available.'

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
It seems especially pointless that the new design is thinner.

It wouldn't surprise me if thinner = hotter and more problems with overall reliability and display consistency from the heat. I will let more eager Apple customers do the field testing to see what happens.

I do applaud the addition of a lower glare screen.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Apple innovates once again by reinventing the ssd/platter drive and calling it something other than a "hybrid". BRILLIANT.

... Just like they invented Thunderbolt; oh wait. I mean Firewire; oh wait. I mean the tablet; oh wait.

The circus-seal flipper-flapping applause after that announcement were really negatively impacting my faith in humanity.

Great products today, I'm just trying to be in b4 the "Apple invents new things all the time!" fanboys have their collective orgasm. This hybrid drive is going to improve performance for a lot of people. It will likely have highly inconsistent performance with file access as things get copied to the SSD cache (just like with conventional hybrid drives). Still, it's likely a step-up.

Last edited:

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
I love the thinner design, but at the expense of so many things.

1.User Upgradeable RAM looks like it's out. (Confirmed is on 21.5 inch model)
2. SDXC Card Slot at the back? STUPID idea!
3. No SSD option for base model.
4. Most models have 5400rpm HDD Drive, so even slower than the old model,which is pathetic at this cost.
5. Graphics card looks to be a little weak.

Plus it's £100 more in the UK. Not worth it.

Am i still buying one? Yes because i'm a sap....

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
The new iMac stole the show.

I don't care what you say about the iPad mini, in my view, the new iMac easily stole the show today. To those who say Apple doesn't innovate anymore, take a look at the Macbook Pro Retina, and now the new iMac.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Apple innovates once again by reinventing the ssd/platter drive and calling it something other than a "hybrid". BRILLIANT.

... Just like they invented Thunderbolt; oh wait. I mean Firewire; oh wait. I mean the tablet; oh wait.

The circus-seal flipper-flapping applause after that announcement were really negatively impacting my faith in humanity.

Great products today, I'm just trying to be in b4 the "Apple invents new things all the time!" fanboys have their collective orgasm.

Glad the burning Macstrawman fanboys are having their fun too.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Guarantee that RAM is soldered as well. Price increase and the thin BS I could care less about. i5 at those prices still? Pass. I'll build one myself Apple, and use your OS if I want.

It didnt look soldered but there was no evidence of an access panel so you probably have to pay 4x the cost to have Apple put the RAM in. Typical Apple money grab with a huge hype around "WOW, its THIN." Seriously, other then immature 20 somethings, who gives a crap how thin it is? Especially when the thinness is only the edge. Its still just as thick in the back center. Tapered. LOL

vandeetz

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
How often do you use the optical drive?

just because you don't use the optical drive doesn't mean others don't. I know a number of people that use them for dvd authoring also getting digital copies of films and ripping music/movies of the disc.

I think the big deal is, why remove something in a desktop unit that doesn't need to be light and thin? consumers and professionals that have a ned for the drive are left in the cold now, especially with mac pro's being prohibitively expensive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.