Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
my colleague bought the nexus

it crashed several times on the first of day

when i first saw it, i thought it was pretty cool

after the first crash, he was pissed and i was disappointed

i was really considering buying it but not anymore after the crashes :(

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
$329 is £206...

The iPad Mini - Starting at £269 in the UK!

Im not enjoying the £60 markup at all.

It's more like a £20 markup once you include UK VAT at 20%.

Which is still bad, but not quite as bad.

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
One word on iPad 4 "Fail"

How many ipad 3 owners are upset? Raise your hand!

Not really. Did you not see how they skimmed over that part and got to the iPad mini.

I mentioned in the keynote thread that small updates like this are to be expected. The iPad 3 works really well

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Buying a Nexus 7 would be pointless for me. It's not just about the hardware. It is that Apple has created an eco system that is damn near impossible to escape. If you have invested heavily in the Apple eco system this is a no brainer.

If you have flexibility then go with the Nexus or whatever else they are doing.
The best way to win is not to play.

Macdick

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
iPad Mini

Ok lets see
No retina

329$ Hmmmmm
Microcenter iPad 2 349$

Last edited:

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
Well, I guess $330 for a 1024x768 tablet make sense... on an a world where a 13" laptop with a $1700 starting price makes sense. I'm not sure what planet that is, but I'm sure it must be a nice place.

On a related note, apple stock is currently trading down 2.5% today. At least shareholders live on planet Earth.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus a far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crApple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7, and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple has excreted...

What a charming fellow :D

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Weak

Pretty weak this time around. Good that I get to keep my money :)

iPad mini is a little underwhelming, with the A5 and screen resolution.

iPad 4... well got iPad 3 already and not playing much graphic intensive game, I can hold another year.

iMac - nice upgrade, but my iMac is still fast enough, so can hold another year.

Macbook Pro 13" - no dedicate GPU is a deal breaker, no buy for me.

Sorry Apple... nothing I want to buy this time.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Blatantly just cashing in on their success now. A new Retina iPad at this stage is pure greed - a 7 month life cycle is disgraceful.

Right, a new iPad with double the speed at the previous version at the same price as the old one is just pure greed - since it got here several months early.

Disgraceful Apple, how dare you bring an improved product at the same price to market early!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
the downfall of Apple

It's not like it's a bad piece of gear (higher resolution would be nice at that price, but not a big deal for most users), it's just priced high. And that's a problem that can be fixed, if the box was bad they'd be stuck with it, but if sales aren't up to expectations they can drop the price after the holidays.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
For the inevitable people who are going to bitch about Retina display, if they had put it in the mini, what would be the unique selling point of the normal sized iPad?

It's not like the 13 vs 15 rMBP where the 13 has a lower res retina, Apple is locked into 1024x768 or 2048x1536.

Everything's amazing and nobody's happy.

Apple: "It's 20% thinner!
It's more than 50% lighter!"

iTroll: "But I want my Retina display :mad::mad::mad:".

It's amazing how suddenly you can't live without something you only knew existed a few months ago.

:apple:

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Personally, I think this is a win. Granted it is not as powerful as we (numbers minded) consumers want to see, but this is because it is a first generation model. We are also the smaller group of consumers concerned with how powerful it is vs how it functions.

Also, everyone loved the iPad 2 and this is essentially the iPad 2 shrunken down. The A5x was for the retina screen on the 3rd gen and does get warmer than the A5 on the iPad 2. It makes a lot of sense to make this a success by keeping the successful parts of the iPad 2 and fitting it into a smaller case. Apple will push the technology further after they see how successful this 1st smaller one is.

SoApple

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Phil Shiller " the black model will be made of the same anodized metal as the iphone 5 "
Unless they up their standards we"ll see a whole new set of scuffgate complaints lol..

Peppa

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
Apple: look how much better our new iPad mini is than the Nexus...oh btw it's $130 dollars more. -facepalm-

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Right, a new iPad with double the speed at the previous version at the same price as the old one is just pure greed - since it got here several months early.

Disgraceful Apple, how dare you bring an improved product at the same price to market early!

For once my not being and early adopter paid off. :)

Chapps

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2007
Whew! $329 starting price? I love the iPad mini, but I'm in the camp that feels the price is too dear for an iPad without a Retina display. Just to throw a wrench out, the Kindle Fire is over $100 less expensive, and it - like Apple - has a rich ecosystem to integrate with. Help me to understand why people will choose the iPad mini over the Kindle Fire this Christmas season (aside from those of us who are in love with Mac products).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.