Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
It's very expensive for what it is, but I'm sure Apple will sell truckloads of the things as usual.

Nice form factor, nice looking device but the price is a little too high for me - especially at the slightly inflated UK prices.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
$329 is still higher then ideal (and breaks Apples usual full $100 increments) but will still sell like hotcakes!

IMHO, $299 is ideal, but I will go with $329.

I think Mini will be a huge blow to other tablets.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
no retina = no bueno.

as i like the smaller size and style of it, the lack of the retina display might steer away other customers. the iPhone 4 had retina display and that's 2yrs old already. the iPad 3 had it aswell, i dont get it?

:confused:

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus a far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crApple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7, and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple has excreted...

a faster cpu? is this thing not fast enough? i have the ipad 3 and i never felt that any app would push the ipad to its limits.

nfc? usb? what for? :confused:

i am very happy with my ipad 3, and i am considering buying the mini for my wife as our second ipad. glad you are happy with your nexus. have fun. I know I will. ;)

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I like Apple products too....but have to vote with my wallet on this one.

I shrunken iPad 2 for $329....no thanks.

If Google comes through with the rumored $199 16 gig Nexus 7 on October 28th, I'll order that day.

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
I would've got it for $250, but for 329, they can go screw themselves. Apple lost its way.

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
This place hasn't changed in years...official complaint forums, post product announcement blah.

On the bright side, Apple filled a void in their growing product line-up!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’d love the dreams of lower prices to be true (and one day they will be) but for now... if you want portable AND great apps, what other choice is there? Android tablets don’t cut it. They have specs you can enjoy reading (as long as you ignore the specs the iPad Mini has better!) and a huge lack of apps that would match the app quality on iPad.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
This will sell, however I think it could have sold ALOT more if they would have lowered the price at least 50$.

The price won't be enough to totally take over all the other 7" tablet sales.
A little dissapointed

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
I thought the mini looked very nice, weighs what a pad of paper does - nice job Apple. It would have been better if they could have gone for $299, but $30 more isn't bad.

I'm sure the limiting factor on how many they sell this quarter will be the production number.

Add all the other improvements and Apple just knocked the ball out of the park for this announcement we thought was only going to be a for a few products.

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
$329 is a bit of a pricing FAIL.

With basically shrunken iPad 2 guts (+ LTE), they really should have hit $299 or $249. They care too much about not overlapping the iPod Touch prices... But the touch is a slowly dying product line. At $249 they could have delivered a knock-out blow to Google & Amazon, but instead they chose this path.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
$329 is £206...

The iPad Mini - Starting at £269 in the UK!

Im not enjoying the £60 markup at all.

But we, my fellow Brit, are enjoying two year EU mandatory warranty as well as the 20% VAT on top.

Americans get it cheaper but have much worse consumer protection.

Can't lick both sides of the lollipop.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Not really. Did you not see how they skimmed over that part and got to the iPad mini.

I mentioned in the keynote thread that small updates like this are to be expected. The iPad 3 works really well

i'm only concerned that the iPad 3 will never get iOS7 now, claiming the hardware is dated and they dont even sell it anymore unlike the iPad 2 .... just like what happened to the first iPad

thats why i sold and replaced my iPad 2 with the 3rd in the first place. ARGH!!!

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
So if a new 4th generation ipad was just introduced...why is there not a price cut across the board on the ipad 2 and 3rd generation models?

Very confused. Oh, and that $329 price point sucks.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
my colleague bought the nexus

it crashed several times on the first of day

when i first saw it, i thought it was pretty cool

after the first crash, he was pissed and i was disappointed

i was really considering buying it but not anymore after the crashes :(

I purchased my Nexus in July, and since have had perhaps 4-5 crashes total. Compared to my iPad 1, which crashes around every 5-10 minutes on iOS5, I am extreme happy with the Nexus. Perhaps that guy got a DOA one?

Little-Tiger

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008

Being an apple fan. I find the presentation a b*** C***. Comparing with a Nexus 7 and saying mini is better...Off course it is. But for 199, compared to 329 , iPad mini still will NOT win here...

When iPhone 5 came out, Apple promo was, we don't want big screen on a handheld because we want user to use their thumb easily.
Where is this ideal on the iPad mini??? 5 inch is too big, but a 7.9 inch is just perfect?? WTF?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.