Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Skipped the 4S, will be skipping the NEW NEW iPad. No biggie. Actually couldn't care less about the chip upgrade.

Romey-Rome

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I wouldn't call it a minor bump. My iPhone 5 is noticeably faster that my iPad 3. When I had the 4, I would reach more for the iPad, now my iPad barely gets used.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I have an iPad 3 and am quite happy with it. I am also happy Apple upgraded the iPad. I may or may not upgrade. I may buy a mini, though. I really like the weight for reading on the go, and the price for such a beautiful device is right.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
I ended up going through 12, yes TWELVE, iPad 3s within the launch month because of bad displays. I FINALLY got lucky with a good one from craigslist in July, after having given up for a while.

Not sure I want to get rid of this one just yet. I'm sure the 4th gen iPads will be plagued with the same uneven tint issues as the 3rd gen.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Very angry, sorry.

I know my iPad does all the same it did, but I waited until the third gen, shelled out £649 for THE top end model, and it got 7 months on the market.

I play a lot of games, and my iPad is left behind before it even got a killer app.

Real Racing 3 ... *sigh*

Can't help but feel scunnered.

It always sucks when your newest toy is outdated. But you'll never keep up with technology. I hate to say it but you just never will. BTW, I'm in the same boat.

I tend to update every other product update. To avoid the minor tweak editions.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I got my ipad3 on launch.
Love it,
have the iphone 5 now and these different connections are a little annoying.
No need for me to upgrade to the new ipad solely on new chip and connector. No software update will make the ipad3 obsolete for another couple of years. I'll probably upgrade next summer.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I fully realize that my iPad 3 is not suddenly useless, but I have to admit that it kind of stings to see it get a seemingly significant update in well under a year. This was my first iPad (and while I still love it, and will continue to do so) I really find Apple's way of doing things lately quite frustrating.

I know going on some rant isn't going to do anything for anyone, I just miss the old days of Apple (which sadly weren't even all that long ago).

I wish they still cared about their customers, it sure seemed like they did when I first got on board.

Oh well.

Avalanche66

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
i wonder if Apple will exchange my iPad3 that i bought in May if i say its broken to the newer iPad 3....i already had a few issues with me iPad3 so they might right????

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
I find it funny how iPad 3 is now gone from the line-up yet iPad 2 is still in their official lineup.

I understand the need to update the connector and with the numbers dropped, to expect more incremental updates from here on. But they should have just dropped the iPad 2 and streamline it to just latest iPad and iPad mini. With the current line-up, people who bought iPad 3 will feel like they bought something that was quickly swept under the rug and forgotten.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Everybody complains about Apple's slow update cycle.

Everybody complains when Apple shortens update cycle for a product.

Either have to make those waiting to upgrade or those that choose to upgrade at last release pissed off.

Can't keep everyone happy.

Why doesn't this seem to bother consumers of other brands?

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
Purchased my iPad cellular 'used' for the price of the wifi model in July, now its very much outdated with the launch of the A6 equipped processor - further, just purchased a new cover for it after already investing in screen protectors and carbon skins.

A few thoughts, there's no doubt that the 'Retina' display is a vast improvement over the iPad2 display, no mention was made of memory, but we know the processor whizzes along - do I update and to what?

we'll I like Apple products and no doubt from a design angle both the iPad and iPad mini trump all Android devices - now, whilst i think I'll stick with the iPad3 for now, I still need something small for the kid, be it the iPad Mini, iPod Touch or, maybe even the revamped Nexus 7 expected next Monday.

Whilst I adore Apple products, the price of both the Touch and the mini at 64G seem steep and I'm not even thinking cellar for the mini - another huge leap in cost.

So, for now, what with all the product launches, I'll let it all sink in for a few days and away Google's news conference next week in New York.

Still, I was completely taken aback by the 4th Gen. iPad - no rumour site actually saw all this coming - no doubt Apple shares will soar, but sometimes I do wish they'd understand not all of us are part of the 1% - and judging by the MBP 13in Retina price, this would seem their target group.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
ipad 3 is only 7 months old and now it is outdated what a shame !

nobody wants to pay 500 dollars for a product that will be outdated in just 7 months.

They should respect the customers who made the them the top company of the world. I will not buy anymore iPad, now my 7 months old ipad 3 will not get ios7 or will get a cramped version of it..

If steve jobs was alive he would not let this happen.

jglonek

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2012
I don't understand all the hate about the new iPad coming out so soon. The only reason you could be mad is if you -have- to have the latest Apple product.

It's pretty clear that Apple wants the dock connector gone as soon as possible. And going through a holiday sales period with their flagship tablet using it was not going to work for them. So instead of just releasing the same iPad with the lightning connector they upgraded the internals as well.

The only difference is speed. And how many of you can say that you are maxing out the speed on your current iPad and that you absolutely need that increase? It's not any lighter. It's not any thinner. It doesn't have a better screen. So what's the big deal?

I bought the iPad 3 the day it went up for pre-order and I am perfectly fine with not upgrading it anytime soon. It does what I need it to do, and well.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Why are people saying that its okay if you have AppleCare + - what does it give you to help the situation?

It doesn't help at all. Apple replaces your broken iPad 3 with another iPad 3 of the same specs. You are not even allowed to change capacity. I've asked every time I've gone into an Apple Store and received the same response.

Now, SquareTrade is different as I understand it. They send you a check for the replacement value and you can blow it on coke and strippers if you want to.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
well, I am glad i was holding out for the 4th gen. I was going to wait until March, but now I will prolly get the new new ipad.

Who knows if they will release a new one in march.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I've had my ipad3 for a month or so and I'm not sure the 4 would be any better at what I use it for anyway. (Mostly drawing, reading and media) Glad to see the spec bump really, good to keep up with the competition even if the average user won't be able to see a difference.

It'll make a big difference for some games though. :)

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
I hated the iPad 3 and I thought it was a step down from the 2.

LOL WHAT? That's hilarious!

I bought a 3 and couldn't be more happy. In fact I'm enjoying typing this on it right now. While I'd like a 4 I'm in no way disappointed I didn't wait. The spec bump is not huge enough to make a difference to me.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
THE IPAD 3 IS NOT OUTDATED. The iPad 4 is just better. Nothing breathtaking.
This is CRAP TALK. The iPad 3 is now one generation closer to being obsoleted in terms of iOS upgradeability, which means it's that much closer to being outdated, period. Sure, it still "does what it did when we bought it," but so do lots of things that are outdated. That kind of talk is what blind fanboys say. This is not a good move by any means. This doesn't make me trust Apple any more than I ever have - I trust Apple less now because of this. Go ahead and buy the 4th gen iPad... see how you feel when it's replaced by the 5th gen in March, in FIVE MONTHS. Apple is on the verge of becoming exactly what they had made fun of in the past with Android - a company that starts rolling out new products too frequently.

I'll tell you what this does. It makes me think that next time I'm considering a new tablet, phone, etc, I need to reconsider my objection to Android and Windows devices. At least you know what you're getting into there. Apple hasn't typically stuck it to their buyers like this. Very disappointed. Very, very disappointed.

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
As the owner of a 1st gen. iPad, I am glad to see the specs on the newest gen. I'm thinking holiday gift. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.