Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Maybe you could get the Android tablet they compared it to?

Actually I might, they saying the Nexus 7 will come with 32 GB for $250 next week. I'll check it out. I am not broke and I make good money, in fact, I paid the full $850 off contract for my iphone 5, but i'm not gonna bend over for Apple on the mini cause 16 gb for 329 is a ripoff period.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
This place hasn't changed in years...official complaint forums, post product announcement blah.

Remember when the iPad came out and people were stunned at how low the price was. Yeah, I don't remember those complaint forums though.

My but things have changed a lot under Timmy.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The word play is truly amazing. "Still" up to 10 hours battery life? Shouldn't it be longer to begin with, considering it's a smaller display that's not even retina?

Smaller display but also much smaller battery.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
iPhone 5 gets an A6 and this stays with the A5? :confused: I guess we already know something about what we can expect with the next iPad Mini update.

Maybe because Apple does not have any A6 to spare?
Cant make enough iPhone 5's.

And the A5X was for the Retina, so useless for mini.

Crixus

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Vicenza, Italy
Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus a far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crApple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7, and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple has excreted...

Perfect analysis.

robertallen79

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
I might get a 16gb model for trips, and as a companion to go with my Apple TV to make it a gaming type of machine along with video and to replace my older Kindle, because I still want to get a macbook air or macbook pro so I can work on things from home, I just want something I could take with me that wouldn't bog me down, with another case and that 7.9 inch display sure is nice vs a larger 9.8 inch

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus a far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crApple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7, and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple has excreted...

Aside from being a childish little troll this morning any other reason for you being here?

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
How many ipad 3 owners are upset? Raise your hand!

Why should I be? :confused:

I have been enjoying my iPad 3 since the first week it was out, and I will be happily using it for a long time. Or is Apple planing to shut my iPad down? :rolleyes:

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
I think this would be a great product if it had a Retina display, which would in turn justify the $329 price rage.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
a faster cpu? is this thing not fast enough? i have the ipad 3 and i never felt that any app would push the ipad to its limits.

nfc? usb? what for? :confused:

i am very happy with my ipad 3, and i am considering buying the mini for my wife as our second ipad. glad you are happy with your nexus. have fun. I know I will. ;)

Lets see. When I play a taxing game, such as Shadowgun, the CPU monitor that I downloaded shows that all four cores are being used. I guess that is just bloat however, and not being used by the game for logic... As for the USB port, I have plugged in a standard USB mouse and keyboard, which make the tablet feel like a real computer when I want that. I could also plug in a USB game controller, or a camera, or even an external hard drive if I wanted. Can any iOS device do that????

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I agree that the iPad mini needed to start at no more than $299. The 4th gen full size iPad looks like a bargain by comparison at $499. For the extra $170 you get a larger/retina display, A6X chip, etc. I would skip the mini and go straight for the 4th gen iPad without any hesitation at all.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
The more disappointing realisation for me is that Apple will have to update the iPad Mini in the future. Seeing the update of the iPad 3 today, it might even be in spring or shortly thereafter. Knowing that, why would I want to spend money on this device? It almost feels like an outdated product.

Every year you will be using OUTDATED product.. hence you wait forvever for a non-existent product.

If you stop upgrading every year on a product then the Product itself fit your need for years to come.

I'm so sick of people complaining about annual product cycle... STOP Wasting your money annually on the NEW product and you will be fine.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Okay whiners, you don't have to buy it!

Maybe since it's an ipad 2 you can get the blender guy on YouTube to run your iPad2 through a band saw and cut it to the new dimensions?

There, saved everybody a bundle!

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Glad you're enjoying the kool aid.

Lighter and thinner are great, but the fact is, not only is the screen not retina, it's lower resolution than the kindle at $130 less.

A lower res device at a much higher price is a hard sell.

Yeah, screw him and his own opinion which differs from yours.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
The more disappointing realisation for me is that Apple will have to update the iPad Mini in the future. Seeing the update of the iPad 3 today, it might even be in spring or shortly thereafter. Knowing that, why would I want to spend money on this device? It almost feels like an outdated product.

I think they went with a fall release (and updated the iPad 3 at this time) to have all their consumer products fresh for the holiday buying season. So I wouldn't expect an update on the mini or full size until next fall.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Lack of retina means this will probably be one of the shortest product life cycles in history - maybe as short as my iPad3 :)

Good one mate! I was thinking just that.

I think I'm gonna hang on to my 3 too (no reason to upgrade) and see if the new size grows on me, if so, I'll go for the Retina version that will get released in... 4 months :)

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
This is brilliant!

The 7.9 inch size is revolutionary - it is night and day compared to the "tweener" 7 inch tablets. Web pages will be SO much easier to read. Amazon and Google don't stand a chance against it. The mini is literally magical!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.