Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
How hard is it for some to comprehend that not all of us are complaining because we want to say we have the best. I'm not that naive or vain.

I am worried from a support point of view. My device has been DISCONTINUED after 7 months of sale. High end apps (games) will be a huge issue going forward.

It won't be any more of an issue for those buying the iPad 2, which has NOT been discontinued.

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
I'm not at all surprised that people are angry about this. Apple has long followed a specific ipad release schedule, which has effectively served as a handshake deal with the consumer: pay $500-830, get an ipad that's "current" for a year (unless you're dumb or desperate enough to buy one just weeks or a month before the next expected "event"). Now all of a sudden, Apple's broken that deal. People that blew $830 YESTERDAY have an ipad that's half as fast as the new one.

Of course they're angry. I'm pretty pissed myself, and at least I got seven months out of it.

I won't be at all surprised if this ends up being an iPhone 1-style media debacle. Remember when they dropped the price by $200 just two months after release, and the outrage was so great Steve Jobs ended up giving the first buyers a $100 Apple Store credit? Expect similar here, at least for people that bought an ipad 3 within the last couple of months.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I can't believe it!!!

I just bought a Sports Illustrated Magazine and now I find out there is a NEWER MODEL coming out. Next thing you are going to tell me is that my Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition will BE OUTDATED NEXT YEAR???

Sheesh!

I suppose MY CAR will have a new model next year and I will have to put my current one on CRAIG'S LIST!!!

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE WHINERS ON HERE demonstrate why the 1 PERCENTER talk is just CRAP. The U.S. is successful largely because of the 1% that succeed in this country. IT IS FAILING because of the HUGE PERCENTAGE of idiots in this country that just want to ACT LIKE they are ONE PERCENTERS when they are not.

HELLO!!!???!!!

Look at this guy, comparing the economy, a $5 magazine and a car to an iPad.

Cars can still give you its core function 30 years later (getting to point A to point B). You think the iPad (A5X) is going to run the latest apps a year from now? No, by next year I bet it'll be like the A4, especially in the gaming department.

Like I said, its much easier for you guys to be on the outside looking in (didn't buy the iPad 3) instead of the inside looking out (bought the iPad 3).

The A6X processor should have came with the iPad 3 in the first place.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
LOL sorry, you're just making up excuses to be butthurt. No OS update will "slow down" until mayyyyybe iOS 7 -though i doubt it as iOS typically works perfectly fine on the previous gen of hardware. iOS 7 won't be out until next fall with the new iPhone.

As for developers, they have to target iPad2/3 level devices as their primary market. You can't ignore 100 million users, plus all the new mini users because you have no market to sell your apps to if you focus on iPad 4 at this stage.

Well, that doesn't mean that they can't have enhancements only accessible to iPad 4/iPhone 5 owners (if the app detects the better hardware).

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
iPad 3 has 1GB of RAM, iPad 2 has 512mb.

Your right. My mistake there. But that still doesn't change the fact that the ipad4 will be the "go to" device when developing retina applications. Especially side the ipad3 is no longer available or even mentioned on apples site.

The ipad3 won't be able to run retina apps smoothly when they are designed for a retina ipad4.

st1y

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Yes I do. And it does everything I need as quickly as I need it to. Also, I'm not upgrading to the iPhone 5 to avoid lightning as long as I can, so I'm glad I have a 3rd gen iPad that matches.

same here... I hate lightning... I feel it's the worst mistake Apple has made...

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I feel like it was punched in the mouth with this update just got new iPad

Very angry, sorry.

I know my iPad does all the same it did, but I waited until the third gen, shelled out £649 for THE top end model, and it got 7 months on the market.

I play a lot of games, and my iPad is left behind before it even got a killer app.

Really annoyed with the next gen iPad announcement. They could have at least waited a year to announce it after the iPad 3.

Really, 3rd gen already outdated...this is utterly rediculous. If I hadn't spent so much damn money on ipad apps already I would sell my ipad 3 and just leave them out to dry

Are you kidding me? Apple didn't earn many points in my eyes today. Bought an iPad 3 four months ago and now it is outdated :mad: Apple should start some trade in program or do something. LAME My kids wanted an iPad mini for Christmas - NO WAY - just wait six months and it will get the retina display.

Livid

This is a real kick in the teeth for those who bought iPad 3.
Are Apple going to do some kind of upgrade offer?

This is total crap, at least I can get my money back for the purchase of the new one. But why do I have to go through this crap every 6 months now? ugh

What the hell?! Presumably you can't afford to upgrade so soon, so your attitude is, 'IF I CAN'T HAVE A FORTH GEN IPAD, NO ONE SHOULD HAVE ONE!!' First world problems indeed.

BTW, here's some more upsetting news for you… YOU'VE ALL BEEN SUPERSEDED. That's right. Just this year alone they've released over 100 million new humans, with many more rumoured to be on the way. In another 20 years, you can expect your own hardware to start running a lot slower than the newer models. And unlike the iPad, you don't get a replacement warranty, and you can't just go out and buy a new one! The pain of today's iPad announcement—think of it as character building for the hard realities of life that lie ahead.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
Best Buy Premier Silver

Just a mention for any of you that are Best Buy Rewards Zone Premier Silver members, you get 60 days to return rather than the standard 30. I got my iPad 3 six weeks ago. It's going back tomorrow.

I had an iPad 1 and figured 5-6 months into the cycle, there'd not be much coming till next Spring. So grabbed the iPad 3 love the display. But, twice as fast? Yep, taking it back.

I'm not angry at all, just surprised at the timing. Had I purchased the 3 at launch, I'd be a liar if I told you I'd not be disappointed.

I'll consider myself lucky in that I shop a lot at Best Buy and they always take good care of me.

pugmohone

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Grrrr

Yes Apple is a business.
Yes Christmas and Windows 8 are around the corner.
Yes they released a great product called the new iPad back in the Spring, and since the camera was improved, I upgraded from the 2.
This still sucks for a number of reasons:

1. Resale value just plummeted. At least back in March, the iPad 2 was still in existence and I could morally sell to someone for just under the cheaper price Apple was selling for. Now - the 3rd generation iPad is no longer on the Apple website. I got a value of $250.00 on the Apple Reuse and Recycling Site. That blows.

2. The processor and HD Facetime camera should have been in this iPad in the first place and Apple should have waited to release this as a total product.

3. The greed here is killing me. Loyal customers who upgraded a product they thought would be the newest for at least a year were bamboozled. Apple really doesn't give a crap about anything but the bottom line.

:(

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
All the rage in this thread is hilarious.

First people complain that Apple isn't updating often enough, and that the specs are behind the every 6mo tablet refresh for competitors.

Then, when they do switch cycles, people still complain because they have to have the newest thing possible. This isn't a fashion show people; no one gives a rats ass what device(s) you own -- as long as it works for you right now, that's all that matters.

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
I'm just annoyed because of resale value. I haven't been happy with ipad 3's weight/heat/battery life and was gonna sell it when ipad mini came out. Now that there's a 4th gen, I won't even get enough for this one to break even on a mini. Guess I'm the idiot for not selling it yesterday lol.

Did you buy the iPad for the resale value or to actually get some use out of it? Because if you are buying for resale value (read investment) then you are buying for the wrong reasons.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Your right. My mistake there. But that still doesn't change the fact that the ipad4 will be the "go to" device when developing retina applications. Especially side the ipad3 is no longer available or even mentioned on apples site.

The ipad3 won't be able to run retina apps smoothly when they are designed for a retina ipad4.

Yup, agree 100% and it is that which fuels my fears.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Called Applecare+

They did not realize that the third generation was discontinued (have not seen the keynote yet). They thought the iPad 2 would be discontinued and the iPad 3 would take its place. When I told them that Apple is keeping the iPad 2 and no longer selling the iPad 3, they said to call back next week.

It is still possible that those of us with Applecare+ will be able to get the "bump" up, due to the iPad 3 being retired and put into the "refurb" bin.

Now the real downside, going to be a longer wait for the Jailbreak on iOS 6 with the A6X processor.

VERBAGE IN APPLECARE+
http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplusforipadenglish.pdf
3.1 Hardware Service
"If during the Plan Term, you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that (i) a defect in materials and
workmanship has arisen in the Covered iPad or, (ii) the capacity of the Covered iPad’s battery to hold an
electrical charge has depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specifications, Apple will
either (a) repair the defect at no charge, using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in
performance and reliability, or (b) exchange the Covered iPad with a replacement product that is new or
equivalent to new in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original
product. If Apple exchanges the Covered iPad, the original product becomes Apple’s property and the
replacement product is your property, with coverage for the remaining period of the Plan.
"

I am going to choose option (b).

Last edited:

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
How hard is it for some to comprehend that not all of us are complaining because we want to say we have the best. I'm not that naive or vain.

I am worried from a support point of view. My device has been DISCONTINUED after 7 months of sale. High end apps (games) will be a huge issue going forward.

Well - get used to it. Apple had to fire their best shot to survive the coming months without deep hassle. And they did quite a good job.

Actually they gave you everything they have now. And this should give them some room to battle Win8.

Face it - End of this week battle is about to begin. And when MS really manages to put decent battery life on an i7-based tablet running a fully fledged OS that is perfectly syncing with enterprise servers...

...do you really think that 7 months old iPad3 would've stood a chance?

Just to give you some perspective: Have you read the reviews of the Galaxy Note2 or the Note 10.1. Many stuff I read went like "Samsung made using a stylus cool again!"

Apple has plenty of heat to take and you will remember this bragging keynote as the last time, where Cook can present a chart with 91% web traffic on tablets.

They had to fire their best shot - they did quite a good job at it. Nevertheless the heat is on and you'll be (un)pleasantly surprised in the next weeks. Apple will receive some fierce competition and only time will tell if their iPad4 is up to the competition.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
What the hell?! Presumably you can't afford to upgrade so soon, so your attitude is, 'IF I CAN'T HAVE A FORTH GEN IPAD, NO ONE SHOULD HAVE ONE!!' First world problems indeed.

BTW, here's some more upsetting news for you… YOU'VE ALL BEEN SUPERSEDED. That's right. Just this year alone they've released over 100 million new humans, with many more rumoured to be on the way. In another 20 years, you can expect your own hardware to start running a lot slower than the newer models. And unlike the iPad, you don't get a replacement warranty, and you can't just go out and buy a new one! The pain of today's iPad announcement—think of it as character building for the hard realities of life that lie ahead.

I can afford one a lot sooner than you, pal ... the FACT is that doing so does not represent value for money.

See, I can be a presumptuous arse too.

jdsmke

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Chumps!

So basically, all of us who bought a "new iPad" (especially those of us who skipped the 2 and waited for the 3) are basically chumps in their eyes. A can not believe that Apple would abuse it's customers like this!

Dogface

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
I have an iPad 3. To all those moaning about the new one; remember you don't have to buy it.

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Anyone know if the new iPad has the more energy-efficient Retina display that Sharp or someone was promising for later in the year? The deal was that some further developments in the technology were needed for the iPad to transition to the same type of display as currently found in the iPhone, as opposed to the older and more power-hungry version in the iPad 3, as the yields weren't there in the spring for a 10-inch display.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Interesting that it has twice the graphics performance, I imagine it'll have an SGX543MP6 at a higher clock rate than the old MP4, much like the MP3 in the A6.

chrisdee

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
iPad 3 already outdated.

Yes.

Ipad3 isn't even available in the Apple Store anymore. Looks like Ipad 4 has replaced it.
Strange that Ipad 2 is not replaced by 3 instead ?

Anyway, number 4 is still like the others a overgrown mobile phone (imo).
But I'm shure it's going to sell well.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i wonder why the iPad 3 didnt go out of stock a few days prior to the announcement? so apple technically kept producing something which they dont even sell anymore now?

strange how the 3rd just vanished off the earth while they keep selling the 2nd at the same time its basically as if apple admitted that the 3rd was a "bug driven" filler that should have never been made

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Look at this guy, comparing the economy, a $5 magazine and a car to an iPad.

Cars can still give you its core function 30 years later (getting to point A to point B). You think the iPad (A5X) is going to run the latest apps a year from now? No, by next year I bet it'll be like the A4, especially in the gaming department.

Like I said, its much easier for you guys to be on the outside looking in (didn't buy the iPad 3) instead of the inside looking out (bought the iPad 3).

The A6X processor should have came with the iPad 3 in the first place.

My iPad 2 still runs the latest apps and will do so next year as well. The hardware tech does change, does not mean the software suddenly will not work. If you are a power user and need the latest and greatest apps then that is the price to pay with technology. Happens everyday in PC land. . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.