Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's introduction of the fourth-generation iPad today, some recent purchasers of the third-generation model may be feeling somewhat disappointed that their new devices have been supplanted by an unexpectedly short upgrade cycle. CNET reports, however, that those who purchased their iPads within the past 30 days may be able to exchange their devices for new models at their local Apple Stores.
The manager at the Stockton Street store in San Francisco explained that "this specific store" would allow purchasers of the third-generation iPad to exchange their device for the fourth-generation iPad if purchased within the last 30 days. She emphasized that, unless the recently-purchased iPad showed serious signs of wear-and-tear, the usual 14-day return policy would be waived.

"And what about other stores?" You'll have to call and find out. She explained, "We can't speak to other stores' policies -- this is something our store has decided to do."
a5x_a6x_upgrade.jpg

The report suggests that the extended return window is not an official company policy and thus customers may find spotty adherence to it, but stores generally have some flexibility in allowing returns considering certain circumstances, and with any luck some recent iPad customers may find themselves able to upgrade to the latest model without penalty.

Article Link: Some Apple Retail Stores Offering 30-Day Window to Exchange iPads for New Model

Last edited:

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
i wonder if they'll still serve you 3rd gen ipads if you break it and use your applecare+ ADH.

FrHa

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
Can we get a 6 month window for those who get scammed by Apple back in March?

We didn't get scammed at all; your iPad hasn't got any worse. And there were no guarantees from Apple that they wouldn't upgrade this year anyway. Besides, this updated version isn't that much better.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
3rd gen iPad owner:

Buuuuttt Apple, can't you just take us out to dinner first? I usually like to get treated to a good meal before getting ******.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I was hoping for an older Apple style upgrade program... bring in your iPad and pay X amount of money to have it upgraded to an iPad 4!

That's what they did back in the Apple II days... :p

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

How did you get scammed? You got exactly what you paid for, right? So Apple updated the product. That happens. Deal with it. (And yes, I have an iPad 3 too. Have enjoyed it since launch. Will continue enjoying it).

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC

What a ridiculous way to look at it. It's been 7 months with the 3rd-gen iPad. Does it suck that there's a *slightly better* version out? Maybe. But you owned a 3rd-gen iPad for 7 months, and it didn't suddenly become obsolete just because a new one came out.

DarkWinter

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012

I guess a significant amount of people drop upwards of £399 without any research at all. Rumours of a refresh were around after all.

Hope the annual iPad refresh remains, which is when I'll be upgrading I expect.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Is having the latest and greatest iThing for, oh, a year at least THAT important to people?

This is a great change for Apple - getting the latest tech out there as soon as they can instead of holding it back for six months or more for the big launch.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID

This happens to products all the time. It's gonna happen to the Nexus 7 owners who just bought 16GB at $249 when the introduce the 32GB at $249 next week. Not only that, it is about 3-4 months later. This happens in the Android world ALL the time, just look at all the Motorola Droid products, ask the the Razer MAXX guys.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Is having the latest and greatest iThing for, oh, a year at least THAT important to people?

Apparently so. These fools act as if their iPad 3 will stop working or that Apple will cripple it from the mothership now that a new version is on the streets. It still does the exact same damn things it did yesterday.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
The A6 is just kick a$$ and they want to get it in the hands of the customer nothing wrong with that. At least they didn't announce the new ATV with the A6..

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Sadly, my iPad 3 is 3 months old. I wonder what the market on eBay is like to sell an iPad. Anyone know of anywhere else good to sell an iPad?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I have no doubt Apple stores will allow the 30-day window. They are all about customer service....never had a bad experience in an Apple store!

That being said, I've had great use of my iPad (3rd gen) but I would be selling it regardless of the 4th gen's release. It just so happens this way is easier for me - sell the 3 (and my wife's 2), buy a 4 and mini comes for Christmas!

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Oh and BTW every Apple product you currently own is now out dated as they updated just about every product they have.. Come on Tax return j/k..

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

This is a great change for Apple - getting the latest tech out there as soon as they can instead of holding it back for six months or more for the big launch.

People who have a void in their lives that they fill with Tech... I'm one of these empty people... I shall be leaping off a bridge today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.