Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
just out of curiosity, when you bring in your ipad for replacement (apple care), do they give you a brand new one?

If yes, I wonder how long until they run out of the "old" Ipad 3's. =D

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
First of all, iPad 3 is a great product. It is fast, fluid, great display, and consumers shouldnt feel bad that they have something "old".
True, technology goes forward every day and we cant have always the latest.
At one point we all know something new will come. But, from todays point of view I do have some feeling that i3 was some kind of test base model.
They did have a6 chip even before, cyclus was droped from 1year to bit more then half year, and all this could have been added in original february release.
I bought mine 35 days ago, and will stick on it, just think that this is all for some hype. Will the new cyclus be again in 6 months? Will they left something from ios7 to ipad3 users since it is not mentioning and producing now? (Like the first model, and second with siri). Dont mind the lack of new chip, just wouldnt wont to see some lack of function just cause i dont have the latest model.

applegigs

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
One thing is sure I ain't buying a second iPad in the same year.. After spending a ton of euros for MBPr "The new Old" iPad and iPhone I feel a bit disappointed. Hopefully they stick to the usual upgrade plan in march I might be up in the market for the device.

pauldunlop

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
UK policy

Apple has had this policy for a long time in the UK. I remember using it when the 2nd gen iPod came out, at £100 less, with a case and better headphones, etc, just 10 days after I bought the first gen one. Exchanged, no questions asked. I could either exchange, or be given the difference in price. Surprised this isn't standard worldwide.

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
For goodness sake, people. 4 or 5 months less with the latest and greatest is that big of a deal? We should just be happy to have great updates!

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
This happens to products all the time. It's gonna happen to the Nexus 7 owners who just bought 16GB at $249 when the introduce the 32GB at $249 next week. Not only that, it is about 3-4 months later. This happens in the Android world ALL the time

...which is why I went to Apple, but since the lines are starting to blur, maybe Apple's market share will become less clear too. Just sayin', Apple does NOT want to be in a position where people start comparing them to Android the way you just did.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Bummer...

People who have a void in their lives that they fill with Tech... I'm one of these empty people... I shall be leaping off a bridge today.

Sorry to hear that.

May I have your iPad?

*ducking*

On my way to hell now.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Can we get a 6 month window for those who get scammed by Apple back in March?

THIS... i love the ipad 3, its not that far off of the ipad 4, but it was a really sleazy move on apple's part to just refresh the ipad altogether... (mostly for the processor and the connector)...

seeing that 4th gen screenshot in the blog was a bit of a slap in the face, since bought the ipad 3 on day one... and then remembered that it came out in march

apple should allow us(ipad 3 owners) to upgrade for $100-150 depending on the size of our ipad 3... to upgrade to an ipad 4... but w/e.. im happy with my ipad 3...

If they release the ipad 5 next april, heads will really roll, they need to find a date to refresh each product and stick to it... ipods happen in september-october.. ipads usually march-april... they should've just held off the ipad mini until next april.. or released the ipad mini last march... big mistake for apple

had apple included some significant next gen features or a new design, an upgrade opportunity for all ipad 3 customers would've needed to be in effect

apple did not NEED to re-release the ipad / release the ipad 4th gen today... its not really called for... but i guess they did it to ensure that the ipad mini wouldnt canabalize the ipad sales solely for the new connector/etc

Last edited:

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
We didn't get scammed at all; your iPad hasn't got any worse. And there were no guarantees from Apple that they wouldn't upgrade this year anyway. Besides, this updated version isn't that much better.

Agreed. It's all psychological. Poor fanboys. :rolleyes:

Monssef

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
We just hope apple offers some kind of an update price to whom bought the iPad 3rd generation 6 months ago. Pay $200 to $250 and exchange it with the new. That'll b great.

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Releasing a new iPad only seven months after the last one. This sucks, this is not the way to treat your customers. Oh wait, why do I care, I am still rocking the iPad 1 :eek:

phebus

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2006
Oakland, Ca
It might be a silly question or just wishful thinking. I bought the new iPad, 14 days ago through Amazon. Can I exchange it at the Apple Store?

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
apple did not NEED to re-release the ipad / release the ipad 4th gen today... its not really called for... but i guess they did it to ensure that the ipad mini wouldnt canabalize the ipad sales solely for the new connector/etc

I thought this is more Microsoft Surface/Windows RT related ... steal some of the thunder from the end of this week.

- D

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It might be a silly question or just wishful thinking. I bought the new iPad, 14 days ago through Amazon. Can I exchange it at the Apple Store?

Why don't you just mail it back to Amazon... they have a 30 day return policy... unless you bought it used or from a 3rd party.

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I had a feeling Apple would upgrade the full size iPad to bring all iOs devices into the lightning connector family, just not this quickly. I'm perfectly happy with my iPad 3 and only a fool would upgrade to the latest - greatest but damn, this just smoked the resale value of my 3. Apple has already listed iPad 3 WiFi 16GB refurbs for $379!

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
and people say Apple doesn't care about their customers. I doubt we would see the same for any other tech company

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
...which is why I went to Apple, but since the lines are starting to blur, maybe Apple's market share will become less clear too. Just sayin', Apple does NOT want to be in a position where people start comparing them to Android the way you just did.

Understood, I was just trying to show that it's actually worse on Android but came off as more of a comparison.

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I can see a lot of 3rd Generation owners really pissed off next year when they try to sell their iPad for the 5th Generation. That's really gonna suck. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.