Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Sadly, my iPad 3 is 3 months old. I wonder what the market on eBay is like to sell an iPad. Anyone know of anywhere else good to sell an iPad?

Probably going to have to sell for a $100 loss on Ebay. Might even be a $200 loss. If that is worth it to you to get better processor, go for it. But most uses on the iPad are not processor heavy, so I doubt you will notice much of an improvement.

jclondon

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
depreciation

What a ridiculous way to look at it. It's been 7 months with the 3rd-gen iPad. Does it suck that there's a *slightly better* version out? Maybe. But you owned a 3rd-gen iPad for 7 months, and it didn't suddenly become obsolete just because a new one came out.

Yes the ipad3 is just as good today as it was yesterday. BUT, it's is worth less.

The key here is depreciation, I assume that an Apple product in this category lasts around a year before it's replaced by a newer product. It's not about having the latest is that while it's the latest it still has a higher resale value.

Releasing something in 7 months rather that 12, has suddenly depreciated the iPad 3 much faster than normal.

So there is a genuine quantifiable reason for iPad 3 owners to be unhappy.

Apple should consider an upgrade program in which you can pay a reasonable amount to upgrade to the new iPad.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I wonder how hard it would be for Apple to take 3rd gen iPads, change out some things, and sell them as refurbished 4th gens?

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Ac+

Yes the ipad3 is just as good today as it was yesterday. BUT, it's is worth less.

The key here is depreciation, I assume that an Apple product in this category lasts around a year before it's replaced by a newer product. It's not about having the latest is that while it's the latest it still has a higher resale value.

Releasing something in 7 months rather that 12, has suddenly depreciated the iPad 3 much faster than normal.

So there is a genuine quantifiable reason for iPad 3 owners to be unhappy.

Apple should consider an upgrade program in which you can pay a reasonable amount to upgrade to the new iPad.

Paid it already, called AC+ where they can replace the old with a newer model.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
We just hope apple offers some kind of an update price to whom bought the iPad 3rd generation 6 months ago. Pay $200 to $250 and exchange it with the new. That'll b great.

You could just go to an Apple store, with a sign offering your iPad 3 for sale $200 to $250 under the price of an iPad 4.

codefuns

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
for me, it sounds like, apple made retina ipad with a cheap design first, and after a mass test, it found that the cheap design doesn't work, so it change it.

when ipad3 comes out, there are already lot of people said the cpu should be a6, why apple still choose a5x? just want to make more money? but disappointed so many loyal users? is it worth?

upgrade a product just come out for six months, and the upgrade is just cpu, from any points, it already proved apple doing things wrong wrong wrong.

smorris

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Northern Ohio
33 days since I bought my iPad 3 from Best Buy. I just checked earlier and they have a 30 day return policy. I got it when iOS 6 came out, because my iPad 1 couldn't be updated.

I'm not seriously irked. The only downside is in a couple of years, it will be like my iPad 1 and won't be upgradable, whereas if I'd waited a month I'd get one more cycle out of it. Yea, I'll get a couple years out of it, but I usually keep phones, and computers for 4-8 years. My iPhone 4S replaced my 2nd gen iPhone...

For those that said we should have researched a bit of info. As of September 19, MacRumours still had the iPad 3 as a green iconed "Just Updated" product, recommending it. There were no rumors of a souped up iPad within that 30 day window.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I wonder how hard it would be for Apple to take 3rd gen iPads, change out some things, and sell them as refurbished 4th gens?

I don't think there is anything identical in an iPad 3 and iPad 4. It might also be illegal to do this, since it _isn't_ an iPad 4. On the other hand, should be no problem to sell them as refurbished iPad 3s.

It might be a silly question or just wishful thinking. I bought the new iPad, 14 days ago through Amazon. Can I exchange it at the Apple Store?

Unlikely, since you didn't buy it there.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Oh and BTW every Apple product you currently own is now out dated as they updated just about every product they have.. Come on Tax return j/k..

I know, right? How dare Apple update the iMac? I just bought one in January 2009!!!!

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Anyone with sense will see that this is just another stop gap, an iPad 3.5 per-se.

The fact that its still heavier and thicker than my iPad 2 will save me some money till the eventual redesign next year.

Tbh, it just looks out of place in the iOS line of devices, given just how different it now looks when compared to the anodised iP5, iPods, and iPad minis.

sachisme

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
US
out of exchange window by a day

Dammit, I bought The New (now old) iPad just on Sep 22nd. I'm so disappointed....I knew about Mini coming but never imagined Apple refreshing their regular iPad so soon..:mad::mad:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm not sure why everyone thinks they got scammed. The MacBook Pro, for instance, often gets updated twice a year. One of the updates is usually a spec-bump update. This was a spec-bump update for the iPad.

No wait, you guys are right. Apple should just let Android catch up. You are totally right. :rolleyes:

Nobody outside of Apple is sure if they will be switching to a 6 month cycle or if they are simply realigning to a holiday season schedule, which makes a lot of sense. But if they are switching to a 6 month cycle, that is very telling. It means that the iPad is maturing. It doesn't get a number after it's name, it's slowly becoming more of a serious computer like a MacBook which gets updated more often. It also means that Apple is getting serious about competition.

People used to complain that Apple lagged behind in hardware. Now you complain that they lead in hardware? You people are impossible.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
What a ridiculous way to look at it. It's been 7 months with the 3rd-gen iPad. Does it suck that there's a *slightly better* version out? Maybe. But you owned a 3rd-gen iPad for 7 months, and it didn't suddenly become obsolete just because a new one came out.

Its laggy, hot...

I mean, I sound spoiled and I don't want a new iPad. Why? I can't really find a use for my iPad that I have, which I suppose is sufficient at doing nothing...

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
In typical usage of an iPad is anyone going to notice the processor upgrade? I know it won't make a difference for my newspaper reading, my book reading, and using some mini-app. That is most of what I use my iPad for. What about web surfing? Will they load faster?

lilgto64

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
Ohio
Stop - don't do it.

Stop - don't return our iPad 3rd Generation - read the fine print people - the 4th Gen iPad has a Lightning connector - and as we all know that is the worst sort of deception Apple has ever perpetrated on mankind in all of human history. If you trade in your 3rd Gen for a 4th Gen you will be relinquishing the last device with a 30 pin connector you may ever see and surely this is the 7th sign of the apocalypse and anyone who chooses to buy a device with Lightning connector is no better than baby eating satanic terrorists. :D

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
3rh3a9.jpg

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've currently got an iPad 2, a 2010 iMac, a 2011 MBP and an iPhone 4s. Amazingly enough, they're all still working as well tonight as they did before the event: None of them have stopped working and none of them are suddenly obsolete.

I really don't understand the attitude that anything except the latest and
greatest released gadget is worthless and anyone who has one is out of date.

I did consider getting an iPad 4th gen but think I might get a mini instead - it looks a pretty cool device :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I've currently got an iPad 2, a 2010 iMac, a 2011 MBP and an iPhone 4s. Amazingly enough, they're all still working as well tonight as they did before the event: None of them have stopped working and none of them are suddenly obsolete.

As soon as Phil mentioned the "new" 4th Gen iPad, my 3rd Gen exploded in the other room ... no AppleCare either ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.