Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AR15MBP

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
USA
This happens to products all the time. It's gonna happen to the Nexus 7 owners who just bought 16GB at $249 when the introduce the 32GB at $249 next week. Not only that, it is about 3-4 months later. This happens in the Android world ALL the time, just look at all the Motorola Droid products, ask the the Razer MAXX guys.

I thought Apple was different to the companies who use Android? Isn't that why we pay a premium? I do think it's a better product, hence worth the premium, but you're okay with the same product life cycle implementation?

Apparently so. These fools act as if their iPad 3 will stop working or that Apple will cripple it from the mothership now that a new version is on the streets. It still does the exact same damn things it did yesterday.

Actually in regards to upgrades of the iOS, this sudden generation upgrade could cause people with the "3" to lose features sooner.

Were iPhone 4S owners who bought their phone 7 months before the iPhone 5 was announced "scammed" too?

iPhone 4S released in early Oct., iPhone 5 released in mid/late September. 11 months later. How is this is same as 7 months?

Man, some serious fanboyism going on. I bought the 3 in March. Did I expect a one year refresh? Yes. Does Apple have the right to update it the next day if it wanted? Of course. But I think that goes against the standard Apple itself has set for its products and the expectations its many fans have. I think we have the right to have feelings one way or the other on this issue. I personally don't like it, and see it as a money grab by Apple. (New connectors = new products to sell, new iPad to sell, holiday season = more sales, etc.)

Monssef

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
Let's all complain in apple community forum. They might offer us some kind of an upgrade with a reasonable price :)

kevinp8192

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Personally I think it's good (and impressive) that Apple updated its iPad product line so quickly. That being said, I think they should have just slipped the changes into the line without the big PR announcement today, like they sometimes do with slight processor upgrades mid-year in their MBP (for example). People would have thought little about it, as it makes sense to start shipping iPad with the new connector. The new processor could have been an extra nicety. Instead they annoyed last gen buyers by making big of a deal about it today when it was just a minor upgrade.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
Can we get a 6 month window for those who get scammed by Apple back in March?

Exactly. People that do not know anything should not get a 30 day grace period to get a new ipad. Its their fault for not knowing that a new ipad was coming out. They do not do this for people who buy a new iphone a month before the new one comes out.

Basically what I get from this is that apple knows they are being a dick about updating it so soon they want to try and please some people.

PseudoRegister

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Florence, AZ
Christiana Mall Store, Newark DE Honoring 30-day Upgrade

Just got off the phone with them.

I purchased on October 1, and recycled my packaging just last week.

The person (er, genius) I spoke to checked with the manager and they'll figure out some way to do the exchange without the original packaging.

So I am a very happy camper, though I do have to put in a personal appearance on Friday to make the switch -- although October has 31 days in it, so technically Nov 2 is 31 days from the date of purchase.

Uh oh...

TonyBaloney

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
Katy, TX
I honestly don't see what the big deal is. The iPad 3 is a great device, just because a newer version has been released doesn't mean that it no longer works good. Your iPad 3 runs just the same today as it did yesterday. This the world of consumer electronics: something better will always be around the corner.

Last edited:

nascimento

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Battery battery battery

Apple can pull one over the fanboys but this was about the way the battery worked with the retina display. Instead of admitting there was a problem they just make a new version and sc**w the ipad 3 buyers.

orangewall

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
I bought an iPad 3 in new york last month, aswel as a GoPro HERO 2 camera with a couple of mounts and wifi-kit etc..

So in a couple of days time, both apple and go pro made both my purchases become outdated models ..

HAPPY TIMES!!

.. but not really ..

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Scammed? Did you not get what you ordered in March?

For many parts of the world Apple did scam the buyers by saying 4G and LTE, have them find out later that it's LTE on US carriers only.

Then again I don't have a iPad. I was looking forward to the rMBP13. Until I saw the price/features ratio.

cdarlington1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2006
St. John's, Newfoundland
33 days since I bought my iPad 3 from Best Buy. I just checked earlier and they have a 30 day return policy. I got it when iOS 6 came out, because my iPad 1 couldn't be updated.

I'm not seriously irked. The only downside is in a couple of years, it will be like my iPad 1 and won't be upgradable, whereas if I'd waited a month I'd get one more cycle out of it. Yea, I'll get a couple years out of it, but I usually keep phones, and computers for 4-8 years. My iPhone 4S replaced my 2nd gen iPhone...

For those that said we should have researched a bit of info. As of September 19, MacRumours still had the iPad 3 as a green iconed "Just Updated" product, recommending it. There were no rumors of a souped up iPad within that 30 day window.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't let u return it. You just might find a reasonable employee. It's happened to me!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
The short update cycle is a bit of a bummer for (not so) recent purchasers, but isn't nearly as bad as most of the Android Phone and Tablet makers. While Apple continues to provide OS updates for a few generations, the Android companies mostly abandon a model 6 months after release. At least Apple still provides bug fixes and new features for a reasonable amount of time.

Musgy

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Tired of Apple

I have obtained a lot of APPLE devices and am really feeling duped lately.
IPHONE 5 does not work correctly, maybe apple should share with cellular providers a little earlier to give them time to work together?
Bought a new IPAD the day they came out.....now feeling stupid, why did they not tell people that they were a temp ipad until this latest one coming out? Now I have to use to different interfaces. It is just getting to be too much. I feel I have to many eggs in one basket.
IMAC 27
IMAC 21.5
17" MBP
13" MBP
IPHONE 5 X3
IPHONE 4
IPHONE 3GS X3
IPHONE 3G
new IPAD X3
IPAD
APPLE TV X2
APPLE AIRPORT EXTREME
APPLE AIRPORT EXPRESS X7

grrrrrrrrr
:mad:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Wow they have put a 1024x768 screen on the ipad mini, Wtf apple.

1024x768 iPad's IPS display gives nearly the same sharpness as Galaxy Tab 7.7 Super AMOLED PenTile array, as it uses less pixels to reach "1280 lines per 800 columns" according to a NTSC standard as reference.

In other words, we are comparing apples and oranges when we say that the GTab 7.7's 1280x800 is better than iPad's 1024x768. I presume the GTab screen provides a very slight better real resolution (sharpness) than the iPad Mini if it's not equal.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The reality is that the full-size iPad didn't need a refresh today. My third-gen iPad works plenty well for my needs and I have no need for 2x faster CPU and 2x faster graphics for the things I use the iPad for.

Plus, the third-gen iPad still works wonderfully with all my legacy 30-pin accessories. I can't say that about my iPhone 5 since I haven't been able to get my hands on the Lightning to 30-pin adapters. The iPhone 5 will likely be the last time I'm an early adopter for Apple products for a while. The lack of a sufficient supply of cables and adapters for the new Lightning technology is very annoying. It's like Thunderbolt all over again except the cables are only $19 instead of $50.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
If I sell my iPad 3, does AppleCare transfer, or do I have to cancel it?

On second thought, I have AC+. I can smash my iPad at any time and get a new one. I should wait until after the new year and see what my chances are at getting a new model... :)

Last edited:

DestroVega

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
CT
Dammit, I bought The New (now old) iPad just on Sep 22nd. I'm so disappointed....I knew about Mini coming but never imagined Apple refreshing their regular iPad so soon..:mad::mad:

But this site had a rumor about it, it wasn't definite but with the change in dock connectors it was a possibility.

I wasn't shocked at all to see it a reality today.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
The reality is that the full-size iPad didn't need a refresh today. My third-gen iPad works plenty well for my needs and I have no need for 2x faster CPU and 2x faster graphics for the things I use the iPad for.

Plus, the third-gen iPad still works wonderfully with all my legacy 30-pin accessories. I can't say that about my iPhone 5 since I haven't been able to get my hands on the Lightning to 30-pin adapters. The iPhone 5 will likely be the last time I'm an early adopter for Apple products for a while. The lack of a sufficient supply of cables and adapters for the new Lightning technology is very annoying. It's like Thunderbolt all over again except the cables are only $19 instead of $50.

I like buying gadgets about one year after the launch date. This gives me decent prices and more mature and inexpensive accessories. However, if I lived in USA, I would be tempted to buy new gadgets the time they're launched since their prices are pretty low compared to Brazil.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
I think most of the changes we're seeing lately with Apple's approach to products have all to do with Cook's approach to the way the company operates. He's not a product guy like Steve was and his approach has all to do with economic efficiency. He wants to make Apple profitable as it never was. Of course this leads to loss of identity and if they start indeed releasing products within shorter periods of time, their product launches will stop being the phenomenon they used to be and will instead just be the release of another upgrade.

I don't feel the release of a new retina ipad today was a scam. I think the scam of this presentation was introducing the ipad mini as a new product, when it is basically a smaller ipad 2. This is clearly Apple wanting to go in direct competition with the Samapsung Note segment of devices.
Wether or not this is a clever strategy, only time will tell, but I do see the company falling into the same sort of product fragmentation it suffered from before Steve's return in the mid 90's. The ipad mini may be light and look pretty, but hardware wise it's rubbish for today's standards and even for Apple's own standards. The bigger sized iPhone, smaller sized ipad are all signs that Apple wants to compete head to head with the same segments of the android phones. Now, we all know how **** Android hardware generally is. Android is the PC of mobile devices, fragmented and without personality.
One of Apple's biggest weapons until now was the emotional connection its customers established with their products. Direct competition with the PC market was never Apple's top priority until now. The company always wanted to offer a solids state if the art alternative to PC. You paid premium and you got premium.

I feel all this going away lately. You pay premium for a product that comes with defects. my *used to be new* ipad is an example of that... I got it less than a month ago and the first one had 2 dead pixels and a stuff under the screen. this one has 1 dead pixel and light leaking in top. I might try to get it exchanged but I'm not going to rush into that because the point of the question isn't that there's a slightly better ipad out today. The point is that Apple is wanting to grow to a point which sacrifices its former premium service.
That may very well mark the beginning of a dark phase for the company. They may be the biggest company in the world, but so was Microsoft in the 90's and that didn't stop them from releasing trash after trash.

Even the release only now of the 13" rMBP is a freaking scam! I mean, when they released the 15" version the retina ipad was already out. So they could make a 15" model, a 10" tablet but couldn't make a 13" laptop? Of course they could! The decision to delay it was deliberate so they could make a couple extra bucks with the early adopters of the 15" model.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.