Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashah888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
So........ After reading about all the new iMac news, I found out that there won't be any optical drives in the new iMac..........

So what are my options for installing a software from CD/DVD??

I recently bought a PC game that I planned to install on the new iMac via Bootcamp Windows. So now that I have no optical drives, what am I suppose to do??

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
USB CD/DVD drive. Very cheap on Amazon, Newegg, Ebay, etc.

Optionally, see if you can just download it from the game developers website and input the key from the physical disc package.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
If you have a PC or another Mac in the house you can share its Optical Drive with the new Mac and install software like that, i think.

ashah888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
If you have a PC or another Mac in the house you can share its Optical Drive with the new Mac and install software like that, i think.

I have an iMac right now. And when I get the new 2012 iMac, I will have 2 iMacs (temporary, until I sell the old one). Can these 2 iMacs work together to share the optical drive?

Sep 10, 2012
... and don't forget that shop bought games (ie not bought via digital download) require the disc to be "in the machine" to run!

But no problem ... just buy a USB SuperDrive or a cheaper 3rd party alternative.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Huge point for many people, they do not want to have to add an external drive to their "all in one" system" it looks great and all, Apple is a bit too worried about half an inch on a desktop machine.

Snorkelhead

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
All you have to do is plug a USB flash drive into a machine that does have an optical drive and copy the contents of the disk to it. Plug it into the mini, and away you go. This also works, by the way, if you're running Parallels and want to install Windows software. But you first have to format the flash drive as MD-DOS (FAT) so Windows will recognize it.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay

Huge point for many people, they do not want to have to add an external drive to their "all in one" system" it looks great and all, Apple is a bit too worried about half an inch on a desktop machine.

Yeah, that's what people said about floppies, too.

But now that a USB drive can hold a terabyte, 700mb CDs and 9.4gb DVDs seem like a waste.

I miss an optical drive 3-4 times a year, and I'm happy to make that tradeoff.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012

But now that a USB drive can hold a terabyte, 700mb CDs and 9.4gb DVDs seem like a waste.

Floppies were different in that their space was limited and it was never really used for mass media like DVD's are still currently being used for. And Apple removed floppy drives in 1998 and I personally did not start using floppies until 1999, costly to keep up with what is current.

I was still thrilled when I could get rid of floppies because they were far too unstable. Since my computer is my only entertainment device (aside from phone) I require a drive to watch movies etc.. I prefer flash drives for software if it required it. (Windows)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Floppies were different in that their space was limited and it was never really used for mass media like DVD's are still currently being used for. And Apple removed floppy drives in 1998 and I personally did not start using floppies until 1999, costly to keep up with what is current.

I was still thrilled when I could get rid of floppies because they were far too unstable. Since my computer is my only entertainment device (aside from phone) I require a drive to watch movies etc.. I prefer flash drives for software if it required it. (Windows)

Rip the movies you own now, and then stop buying DVDs.

You can't expect to use the latest hardware in exactly the same way the previous generation did, at least not for more than a few years.

Besides, don't you want 720p and up resolution?

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Rip the movies you own now, and then stop buying DVDs.

You can't expect to use the latest hardware in exactly the same way the previous generation did, at least not for more than a few years.

Besides, don't you want 720p and up resolution?

I prefer 1080P whenever possible, however I will not be touching digital downloads as they are too costly for what you get, I can currently buy used blu-rays for under five dollars and can wait on anything else, along with being able to trade, sell, give away etc.. plus higher quality and cheaper.

I really do not purchase DVDs these days, the last time I did it was pawn shop finds for a bit over a dollar, it was cheaper then renting. It is not dated tech yet as it is still current, once they stop selling it and or have something better (digital downloads are not better yet) then there may be something said for it being dated.

Over the last year I am caring about owning films less then I used to, so I really just want to watch more then own, there is always renting online yet once again, too costly for what I am comfortable with, couple dollars? sure, five? Never.

I did actively try to move all software digital only and USB flash drive, was not too hard as most software does not require to be on DVDs anymore aside from Windows which also works fine on USB. DVD's are cheaper, then again it is not like I am burning discs every other day.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay

I prefer 1080P whenever possible, however I will not be touching digital downloads as they are too costly for what you get, I can currently buy used blu-rays for under five dollars and can wait on anything else, along with being able to trade, sell, give away etc.. plus higher quality and cheaper.

I really do not purchase DVDs these days, the last time I did it was pawn shop finds for a bit over a dollar, it was cheaper then renting. It is not dated tech yet as it is still current, once they stop selling it and or have something better (digital downloads are not better yet) then there may be something said for it being dated.

Over the last year I am caring about owning films less then I used to, so I really just want to watch more then own, there is always renting online yet once again, too costly for what I am comfortable with, couple dollars? sure, five? Never.

I did actively try to move all software digital only and USB flash drive, was not too hard as most software does not require to be on DVDs anymore aside from Windows which also works fine on USB. DVD's are cheaper, then again it is not like I am burning discs every other day.

Okay, everything comes with a cost. Because you're interested in saving money, you're paying with convenience.

Being an early adopter does not mix well with frugality.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Okay, everything comes with a cost. Because you're interested in saving money, you're paying with convenience.

Being an early adopter does not mix well with frugality.

I am insanely cheap when it comes to media, I like the concepts when done right. (Based on what I am comfortable with) I had to use one of those old floppy drive camera well into the 2000's was THRILLED when I got a real one, these days the iPhone works well enough for a main point and shoot camera.

If it is a one time purchase (computer, phone etc.. ) I am likely to spend the money, media feels different, it just keeps coming out and there is always a budget. I love Steam, when the games are ten dollars or less, the convenience is great.

New game system? Buy the old one when the newest generation is released.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
For real? I can see waiting for the launch day price to drop, but that's pretty weird to me.

I know i few people that got the PS2 after the PS3 was released… I am sure that the PS3 will become a big seller when the PS4 is released… the price drop will be like the iPhone 4 that they sell now… (ok maybe not free, but the HDD in it will be more expensive to buy than it is in the PS3…)

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Not to flame (but it is...).

You will buy a PS2 when the PS4 is released? Or an original XBOX when the next XBOX is released?

All I can say is, wow.

I originally purchased a PS2 around the time the PS3 was released, many games to choose from and cheap.

For real? I can see waiting for the launch day price to drop, but that's pretty weird to me.

I am really going to say this is mostly because I am a light gamer, I built a PC that could handle just about any current game for the time, I buy new tech when I think I will get enough out of it, games systems along with the need for games is just too high for quite some time.

I am sure if I was a really into games I would not wait that long, plus with the nature of new games, multi-player etc.. one could get kind of left behind if they wait that long with the newer systems.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
So........ After reading about all the new iMac news, I found out that there won't be any optical drives in the new iMac..........

So what are my options for installing a software from CD/DVD??

I recently bought a PC game that I planned to install on the new iMac via Bootcamp Windows. So now that I have no optical drives, what am I suppose to do??

Buy a SuperDrive, they are only $80.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country

Why? If I were to buy a first generation (anything) at a discount because a newer version is out, it is still a new experience for me - just started late.

It is no different than waiting until a movie is on FTA, rather than spend good money on tickets or DVDs - it will still be a first-run for me.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Buy a SuperDrive, they are only $80.

Some have stated many times that if we are to purchase a so-called all in one they do not wish to add clutter to a device that is designed to be streamlined, it defeats the purpose. I feel the same way, I will never buy a desktop computer that required an external optical drive, MAYBE a laptop, however I want my laptops with blu-ray so that is questionable.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
For ext superdrives, I would try to go for one with a power cord and adapter like in the old days so they don't use up the resources of the iMac or laptop.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
I originally purchased a PS2 around the time the PS3 was released, many games to choose from and cheap.

I am really going to say this is mostly because I am a light gamer, I built a PC that could handle just about any current game for the time, I buy new tech when I think I will get enough out of it, games systems along with the need for games is just too high for quite some time.

I am sure if I was a really into games I would not wait that long, plus with the nature of new games, multi-player etc.. one could get kind of left behind if they wait that long with the newer systems.

This is a great tech strategy. One particular good place to do this is in point and shoot cameras. Most of the major camera manufacturers turn over at least a portion of their P&S cameras on an annual basis, and many times around the time of large camera or consumer electronics shows. Often the new camera will come out for what the old camera was selling for the day before, and the old camera will drop by 25% - 40% overnight as the retailers clear out stock. Printers are the same way. Unless either of these devices have failed without warning and I needed one right away, I have always purchased "last years model" at a substantial discount immediately after its successor was released, still getting 95% or more of the quality and/or functionality. In the case of a recent printer purchase, the only change was that the lighting on the panel was changed from amber to blue, and I saved 40%.

symber

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
London

What's the tradeoff? I see no gain to be had – you seem to be just losing functionality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.