Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I'm curious to see if some of the issues I've had with multiple 3rd gen iPads will be resolved.

1. Screen issues. I had plenty of them, and I went through a few to get one without dead pixels, weird tints, and uneven backlighting.
2. Weak wifi, compared to all other devices in my house (including an original iPad and an iPad 2).
3. Heating up: My iPad is fine when I'm just browsing, but if I play any games, it get hot.

I've seen all of these issues on multiple units. In the end, I stuck with one that had a good screen, because I couldn't go back to the standard screen after seeing everything in retina. But I've never been truly happy with the heat and wifi issues that I've experienced.

I wonder if these issues will be fixed with the refresh.

MaSx

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2010
This is the new Apple all about $$! get over yourself, it's not like you never seen this coming.

As much as I am happy that they announced new product esp the iPad Mini with a smaller screen (R.I.P Steve Jobs, I'm sure you woulda had a heart attack and died again) the price of it killed it, and then you have 4th gen iPad. Screw you all :D

That's what Apple said!

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I've got a 32gb Verizon that I see is $300 for flawless now. I bet it was $450 or so before the announcement. For $300 (or $250 if they downgrade it from flawless to good), it's just not worth flipping. I'll stick with the iPad 3 this time.

Very smart of you to lock in a price with them, just in case. Kudos.

I lucked out. I went on Gazelle during the Apple event, just in case the Ipad4 had some great improvement. I'm surprised the price dropped so quickly.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
When you pay for AC+, you demand the best. And people will be quick to point out I did not get a free upgrade, I paid for AC+ and I will tell them they are correct.

AppleCare + is not a pre-paid upgrade program. What you are demanding is unreasonable and I would call it deceitful. You want to use an accidental damage warranty program to get a new iPad at no additional cost to you. Yes, you bought AC+ but that was to protect your current iPad and not to get an upgrade because you feel like it.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
AppleCare + is not a pre-paid upgrade program. What you are demanding is unreasonable and I would call it deceitful. You want to use an accidental damage warranty program to get a new iPad at no additional cost to you. Yes, you bought AC+ but that was to protect your current iPad and not to get an upgrade because you feel like it.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...cement_99_applecare_rumored_for_new_ipad.html

it cracks me up when i'm at BESTBUY or an electronics store and I see the dumbass's buying the 60" inch flat screens for like $3,000. and then when the sales rep suggest they buy the extra care for it they refuse to and I just wish I could be the fly on the wall when that shyt breaks down and its one day after their warranty expired... trust me I've had APPLECARE for every apple product I own, MACBOOK PRO, IPHONE4 and iPAD2 and its worth every penny... I purchased a August 2007 MACBOOK PRO and with 3 days left on my APPLECARE WARRANTY I took it in for a last minute check (nothing was wrong with it) I was just making sure that it was ok before i didn't have any protection on it in August of 2010 and the APPLE genius bar dude replaced it with a BRAND NEW 2010 model and then 8 months after that I wasn't happy with it because my original model 2007 Macbook was a Matte Screen and they had replaced it with a Glossy Screen one so 8 months in I went back to the store and they again gave me a BRAND NEW MID 2011 THUNDERBOLT MACBOOK PRO MATTE FINISH model.
now try that without APPLECARE and APPLE won't CARE!!!

AC and AC+ are apples gold standard, and worth every penny. If you have never used it, do not knock the plan. I will let you know my outcome. Maybe you will think twice the next time you are offered the plan.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...cement_99_applecare_rumored_for_new_ipad.html

it cracks me up when i'm at BESTBUY or an electronics store and I see the dumbass's buying the 60" inch flat screens for like $3,000. and then when the sales rep suggest they buy the extra care for it they refuse to and I just wish I could be the fly on the wall when that shyt breaks down and its one day after their warranty expired... trust me I've had APPLECARE for every apple product I own, MACBOOK PRO, IPHONE4 and iPAD2 and its worth every penny... I purchased a August 2007 MACBOOK PRO and with 3 days left on my APPLECARE WARRANTY I took it in for a last minute check (nothing was wrong with it) I was just making sure that it was ok before i didn't have any protection on it in August of 2010 and the APPLE genius bar dude replaced it with a BRAND NEW 2010 model and then 8 months after that I wasn't happy with it because my original model 2007 Macbook was a Matte Screen and they had replaced it with a Glossy Screen one so 8 months in I went back to the store and they again gave me a BRAND NEW MID 2011 THUNDERBOLT MACBOOK PRO MATTE FINISH model.
now try that without APPLECARE and APPLE won't CARE!!!

AC and AC+ are apples gold standard, and worth every penny. If you have never used it, do not knock the plan. I will let you know my outcome. Maybe you will think twice the next time you are offered the plan.

Please do.

mcphee7

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I will never buy a apple product again. How dare they take £500 off me 6 months ago and then release a new ipad today. Tim Cook has just confirmed what a moron he really is does he really think he can con apples loyal fans. I will be selling my ipad 3 new ipad whatever its called to buy a windows surface. **** Apple raging

lol.

I'm sure Microsoft will be sure to consult you to see if it's ok to update the surface in the new year.

----------

In other news the owners of the iPad 3 bought 7 months ago have reported that since the keynote speech, their tablets have slowed down considerably, have worse resolutions and the 30 pin dock connector has physically mocked them.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

it cracks me up when i'm at bestbuy or an electronics store and i see the dumbass's buying the 60" inch flat screens for like $3,000. And then when the sales rep suggest they buy the extra care for it they refuse to and i just wish i could be the fly on the wall when that shyt breaks down and its one day after their warranty expired... Trust me i've had applecare for every apple product i own, macbook pro, iphone4 and ipad2 and its worth every penny... I purchased a august 2007 macbook pro and with 3 days left on my applecare warranty i took it in for a last minute check (nothing was wrong with it) i was just making sure that it was ok before i didn't have any protection on it in august of 2010 and the apple genius bar dude replaced it with a brand new 2010 model and then 8 months after that i wasn't happy with it because my original model 2007 macbook was a matte screen and they had replaced it with a glossy screen one so 8 months in i went back to the store and they again gave me a brand new mid 2011 thunderbolt macbook pro matte finish model.
Now try that without applecare and apple won't care!!!

ac and ac+ are apples gold standard, and worth every penny. If you have never used it, do not knock the plan. I will let you know my outcome. Maybe you will think twice the next time you are offered the plan.

bs

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Overjoyed. I nearly bought an iPad about 6 weeks ago, but held of just on the off-chance that they might update it as part of this refresh.

Shiny new iPad here I come.

Plus the whining and bitching from everyone else about a PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY being updated (shock horror! progress! noooooo!) is hilarious.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I concur. I'm pretty pissed, too. The "new iPad" only on the market for 7 months and rendered obsolete already? And, to those that say, "It hasn't been made obsolete, quit whining" - yes, it has been made obsolete. Soon, there will be apps and games that that will run on the A6X but will not run on the A5X. This time, it will happen sooner rather than the usual yearly cycle. The iPad's power and capability has changed... the connector has changed. Those are not "minor" changes. This "new iPad" will be much more "future-proof" than the one I bought only a few short months ago.

After spending $1,000 to get a 64GB, LTE "new iPad" not long ago, I now have to sit and wonder, "Do I really want to take a chance and spend that much of my hard-earned money on an Apple product again? Just so I can feel screwed only 6 months later?"

That's not a good assessment coming from a long-time Apple devotee such as myself. Imagine what the people in a similar situation, and with little to no loyalty to Apple, must be feeling right now.

The reason why I just hand in my money and buy apple products on the first day is that I expected it to be the newest one for another year. F you apple.

recharge23

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Seoul, South Korea
i'm pretty displeased as well but i know it's to be expected with some product releases.

on the bright side, i'm pretty sure i'll be happy again after i buy my wife an ipad mini. i'll at the very least feel like i'm "keeping up" with apple.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Really, 3rd gen already outdated...this is utterly rediculous. If I hadn't spent so much damn money on ipad apps already I would sell my ipad 3 and just leave them out to dry

Who is 'them'?

The new iPad is not outdated, folks. Gen 4 is out because of the connector. Heck, even the original iPad is better than the current competition out there!

----------

The reason why I just hand in my money and buy apple products on the first day is that I expected it to be the newest one for another year. F you apple.

So which copy-cat-me-to droid pad are you getting next?

----------

Very cool! I have an iPad 3 I bought in April and I am going to buy the 4 as soon as it is available. Faster machine too what more could you ask for? Can't wait to get it! :D

Exactly!

Nice to see someone that is not complaining and blaming apple for the consequences of their own decision making!

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
With Apple's shift to a more aggressive and rapid update cycle, looks like we will see the iPhone 6 before Christmas! Sorry, iPhone 5 owners, your phone is already antiquated and out of date!

numkem

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
Does anyone knows if it's the exact same form factor? I'm wondering if my Logitech Ultralight keyboard would fit with the new iPad.

ewo1992

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Southern, CA
Doesn't matter if the OS is still crummy and if the iPad mini has a A5. It won't be till the next iPad is release this time next year before we start seeing apps that take advantage of the A6 - A7xxx. Mark my words.

Be happy with your iPad 3. It's good for another 2 years.

2 years!? sweet thats when i was planning on upgrding my 3

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I have been the proud owner of a new iPad 3 for 14 days exactly.

When I saw the specs for the iPad 4 today, I immediately walked to the Apple Store during lunch and returned the iPad 3.

I loved the iPad 3, but hey the specs on the new one are hard to let pass by:

• The A6X chip is up to TWICE the speed of the A5X chip
  • WiFi download speeds are more than TWICE the previous model
  • Improved LTE
  • Improved front camera
  • Same Price!!!
I noticed with the iPad 3 that when scrolling through playlists in the Music app, the screen would stutter and hang. I'm hoping that the increased power of the A6X chip will eliminate that annoyance.

So for me today's announcement is PERFECT timing.

I just hope that the iPad 4 I get will be as good as the previous one in terms of quality and a defect-free display. So far Apple's hassle-free 14-day return policy gives me some peace of mind - especially when purchasing such an expensive device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.