Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PikachuBoobie

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
When you're connected to wifi and doing downloading/websurfing/etc, does that use up your data as well or no?

jkun

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
do you guys get throttle? because I almost used pass 10gb on att and been throttle since 5gb...

No. Verizon does not throttle unlimited LTE and is not allowed to. They were forbidden from throttling LTE usage by the FCC when Verizon was allowed to purchase more LTE spectrum.

michaelmac3

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
For the record, I don't even live in an LTE area and since getting my 5 I've BLOWN through data doing nothing that I didn't normally do on my 4 or 4S. It's almost like with all these wifi issues that it's using data and wifi simultaneously. That would explain why sometimes it's quick and sometimes it's slower than smoke, and the random spike in data usage when I'm still using the same EDGE/3G/HSPA+ combo and doing the same things as always.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
When you're connected to wifi and doing downloading/websurfing/etc, does that use up your data as well or no?

Wifi is a separate internet ride (no data charge.) IIRC, I think the Verizon glitch (supposedly fixed with an update) was that some users were seeing the wifi symbol on the iPhone but actually they were still using LTE because it wasn't shutting off/handing off to wifi properly.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
My data usage has been down this month, which is odd. I've only used 2.3GB of my 5GB allowance, and I even went on a trip where I streamed stuff all day long, ran many speedtests on LTE and spent several days away from Wifi. Usually I'm over 3 by this point in the month.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
I am on best network on the world :D AT&T!

I would stop using Popcasts app or turn the cellular data off. It has a serious bug eating cellular data.

Attachments

• data.png
    data.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 325

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Same issue here. I only have the 200mb data plan, and I've never gone over when I had my iPhone 4. Just a few days into having an iPhone 5, and I'm already halfway through my data allotment. I rarely even use data (exactly why I only have 200mb plan), so I am not sure how I have used much more with the 5 with the same usage. I don't think the whole "you're just using it more" or "it's faster so you're loading more pages", etc is entirely true.

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I would stop using Popcasts app or turn the cellular data off. It has a serious bug eating cellular data.

I did check and my Data is Off...I don't remember changing it before but I will make sure I download Podcast next time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 49

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
For the record, I don't even live in an LTE area and since getting my 5 I've BLOWN through data doing nothing that I didn't normally do on my 4 or 4S. It's almost like with all these wifi issues that it's using data and wifi simultaneously. That would explain why sometimes it's quick and sometimes it's slower than smoke, and the random spike in data usage when I'm still using the same EDGE/3G/HSPA+ combo and doing the same things as always.

Same thing with me, I can understand I did use little more because its new iPhone so I did spend little more time playing with it....but not that much.

qawsed27

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Applejuiced and others like him...you lose.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1489771/

No, it's a usage problem. Not an iOS 6 issue.
I'm on lte unlimited and only used 195mb in 3 weeks.
So believe it or not you used the data somehow. It didn't magically rack up all those GB's.

You used up the data period. Podcast app or whatever you used still its not an iOS issue or carrier scam or anything else.
That's what I was saying.
Is it that hard to get?
Wether you knew or understand what used the data or not the data was used and measured on the carriers end.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Wow that is crazy! How do you use such small amount of data, 5 gigs I cant believe its so low, CRAZY..... I cant seem to make it through the month with less than 20 gigs. I call BS here, thats just crazy low.:eek:

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
If you are on verizon and haven't yet done the carrier update that could very well be the issue. There was an issue where it was still using data even on wifi. You have to go to the settings about menu and it will pop up saying there is a carrier update. If you have already gotten it, then im not sure. But since I discovered Podcasts eating data I started downloading them on wifi ahead of time and have only used about 270MB in a week now (as opposed to 4GB in about 5 days.)

the pic clearly showed AT&T lmao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.