Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
When I load the home page of macrumors.com in mobile Safari, I'm getting a popup that says it can't verify the identity of "static.ak.facebook.com". When I touch Details, it references an Akamai hosted URL. Anybody else seeing this?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
This isn't MacRumors specific; both my computers and one at a client's house are throwing this error on any page loading content from static.ak.facebook.com, which is any page that has a Facebook like button on it, which is to say pretty much every page on the Internet.

It looks like an akamai CDN problem, but I'd assume that Facebook wouldn't have their certificates configured right. I don't suppose all you guys are on AT&T DSL? They could be having a DNS problem.

...no, wait, I think I'm using Google's DNS, come to think of it, so that wouldn't be it, either. Weird.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Static.ak.facebook.com how to get rid of??

Out of the blue as I am on Dpreview website I get this icon that pops up on my Safari page. I do not have the Facebook application downloaded on my iPad and have deleted all cookies and history. Also restarted iPad and closed Safari application and reopened it back up but I am still constantly getting this freakin thing popping up on my iPad on Safari as I browse websites :mad:

Anyone know what this is or how to get rid of it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 1,068

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Canada. Cable.

Occurring with desktop and mobile.

Mac Rumors only with mobile.

MOSiX Man

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2002
O.C. CA
I just passed this by my white hatted, 'network security handy' friend. He dug into it and it seems that this is a simple issue of akamai.net (a well established content delivery company) using a certificate that has Facebook's name in it, instead of theirs. Nothing to worry about, as far as he can tell.

More specifically, he says "it is probably an akamai ad hoping you're an iPad user with Safari instead of the Facebook app.
It probably is an add for you to download the FaceBook app IF you are using Safari with an iPad....It's a setup error. It's a BAD setup error that makes Akamai look like dummies."

It looks like the issue may already have been resolved, server-side.

S G

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Still having problems on all devices

It has been more than 2 hours and a bunch of sites are giving me problems on Safari, saying the identity cannot be verified. It happens with yahoo mail, with apple discussions, macrumors, etc... It happens on both my MacBook and my iPod, but only with Safari. The identity verification is for static.ak.facebook.com (among others), even though Facebook is a site that I have never used.

This is a major security problem, it is popping up all over the discussion sites. I hope there is an investigation.

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
iPhone 5 problem

When I go to the home screen of macrumors, I get this message on my iphone that pop up saying "sa.fackbook.com not verfy" I have the options cancel, view and continue. I press continue to see what was it and now it does not show up. I'm a little worry my phone has some kind of certification I can't remove or find

scottdt21

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
I've begun getting it too while on the MacRumors site on this iPhone 6 using Safari.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 917

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
static.ak.facebook.com?

Just two days ago I restored my iPhone 4S as a complete new phone, because I was having issues getting connection even though my phone would show perfect reception.
Now when I visit macrumors.com I get the warning, that the identity of static.ak.facebook.com can not be validated. Clicking on details reveals little more information. I don't use Facebook at all. What does all this mean?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 437

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
I pressed continue and it doesn't show up anymore. Should I be worry because i feel like I installed something on my iphone by mistake please help!!

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
It's something with Facebook or Akamai. The error pops up on other forums/sites as well. It hasn't installed anything special on your phone.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Verify server identity message in Safari?

I keep receiving this pop up on Macrumors.com from my iPhone 5. I have only clicked "cancel" or "details." I removed all cookies, cache and history in Safari but the pop-up message still occurs. Any idea what's going on?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 447

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
I've begun getting it too while on the MacRumors site on this iPhone 6 using Safari.

Good grief! The iPad mini is only just out, did they release an iPhone 6 whilst I was asleep!?

Me too getting this when visiting this site on my iPhone FIVE. I keep pressing cancel, does it matter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.