Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
It's amazing how many people think they can run Apple better than they do, aren't the the worlds most valued company?

I'll have to wait for more details before placing my iMac order and making them a few dollars richer.

heyjp

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
I think we'll see Fusion Drive technology in MacBook Pros next year with the optical drives removed. A little surprised that didn't happen in the spring MBP w/Retina, but probably next year's upgrade. It's a sweet design.

Jim

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
So how do these Fusion drives compare to Momentus XT drives which have been around for years? Fundamentally they sound similar but I could be wrong.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I think we'll see Fusion Drive technology in MacBook Pros next year with the optical drives removed. A little surprised that didn't happen in the spring MBP w/Retina, but probably next year's upgrade. It's a sweet design.

Jim

Come on man. It is available to the entry models. It should be made available to all models, including MBA. Not just the Pros.

----------

So how do these Fusion drives compare to Momentus XT drives which have been around for years? Fundamentally they sound similar but I could be wrong.

See 2-3 pages back.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
and most likely that's exactly what it is. It has been available on PCs for a while.

The article specifically draws a distinction between Fusion and Intel's solution.

----------

He meant 256Gb SSD.

He meant 256GB SSD, and what I meant is that 256GB SSDs cost way more money per GB than HDDs. I like the compromise that Fusion as well as the caching solutions bring. Using an SSD alone is too expensive and doesn't provide enough storage.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
He meant 256GB SSD, and what I meant is that 256GB SSDs cost way more money per GB than HDDs. I like the compromise that Fusion as well as the caching solutions bring. Using an SSD alone is too expensive and doesn't provide enough storage.

Indeed !

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

Momentus XT only has 8GB of SLC NAND for caching. The Apple solution has a lot more space for SSD storage which means the OS and apps can all happily reside it it. Something a caching system like the Momentus XT cannot do.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
...So could you put an SSD and an HDD in a Mac Pro then set them up as a Fusion drive? Or is this controlled by some kind of hard drive logic not in Mac OS that's built into some SSD/HDD combo drive? If so, could I buy one of these Fusion drives and stick one in my Mac Pro and have the file management be done by the drive itself, leaving the CPU and OS out of it?

I wish they had more details on this stuff, but of course people care more about the specs of their phones than the specs of their iMacs, as shown by the iPhone tear-down reports :rolleyes:

RoverTX

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
As other have said this is basically a RAID 0 with some smart save features. You loose all the reliability of an SSD for speed gains that aren't really going to help your productivity in any meaningful way, unless your having to reboot your OS or Photoshop every 10 minutes...

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
...So could you put an SSD and an HDD in a Mac Pro then set them up as a Fusion drive? Or is this controlled by some kind of hard drive logic not in Mac OS that's built into some SSD/HDD combo drive? If so, could I buy one of these Fusion drives and stick one in my Mac Pro and have the file management be done by the drive itself, leaving the CPU and OS out of it?

I wish they had more details on this stuff, but of course people care more about the specs of their phones than the specs of their iMacs :rolleyes:

My guess is both. The file system measures, masterminds and commands the file routing. The driver and hardware does the actual work (and raw measurements) in a way to minimize impact to regular operations.

----------

As other have said this is basically a RAID 0 with some smart save features. You loose all the reliability of an SSD for speed gains that aren't really going to help your productivity in any meaningful way, unless your having to reboot your OS or Photoshop every 10 minutes...

Nah... RAID is not needed here. The file is not split nor duplicated between the 2 disks.

EDIT: I don't know why people are so eager to apply their PC and RAID bad experiences here. This is a Mac. They are free to do things differently.

Just like how they take OS security more seriously early in the game.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

RAID 0 is interleaving data across multiple drive to increase read/write speeds. That's not what happens here. Data can move from HDD to SSD or vice versa. It's not being striped and thusfar no verbiage about data redundancy has been mentioned by Apple.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
RAID 0 is interleaving data across multiple drive to increase read/write speeds. That's not what happens here. Data can move from HDD to SSD or vice versa. It's not being striped and thusfar no verbiage about data redundancy has been mentioned by Apple.

Yeah, this is pretty much like having a separate SSD and HDD, where you manually move apps/files/etc., to the SSD you think need faster access and use your HDD for storing less accessed apps and files.

It's just one logical volume and the location of the files is determined by a system process that monitors how often a files it used, and maybe the nature of the use/file type (not absolutely sure on the logic since details are still pretty sketchy).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Yeah, this is pretty much like having a separate SSD and HDD, where you manually move apps/files/etc., to the SSD you think need faster access and use your HDD for storing less accessed apps and files.

It's just one logical volume and the location of the files is determined by a system process that monitors how often a files it used, and maybe the nature of the use/file type (not absolutely sure on the logic since details are still pretty sketchy).

Exactly. I don't know why people are making it more complex that it is. At foundation of all storage tiering is moving data to where it operates best. Of course the Devil is details ;)

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Exactly. I don't know why people are making it more complex that it is. At foundation of all storage tiering is moving data to where it operates best. Of course the Devil is details ;)

My guess is Apple's vertical integration simplifies the design and implementation even more. Those "old" RAID, and other redundancy solutions are all devised for all and any OSes. So they had to design it at very low level, and try to solve too many problems at the same time, to make more $$$.

They can also sell high margin professional services if the deployment is complex.

Trying to apply those enterprise technologies to consumer market may not always work.

Apple's business model is completely different. They cherish simplicity.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
most of us do not need that bigger size as main drive, you always need to backup the data into some external drive.

...and if your data lives only on your external "backup" drive, you'll need to back up the external drive, too.

And while we're on this topic, like others, I also wonder what happens if one of the drives (most likely the HD, I suppose) were to fail and how backups and restores will work.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
...and if your data lives only on your external "backup" drive, you'll need to back up the external drive, too.

And while we're on this topic, like others, I also wonder what happens if one of the drives (most likely the HD, I suppose) were to fail and how backups and restores will work.

Someone email Phil. I'm too busy and couldn't be bothered. 8^P

I have a feeling he'll interest you to buy a Time Capsule.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
The article specifically draws a distinction between Fusion and Intel's solution.

There is barely any difference between wats already out in the market, dont let some apple spin fool you .

http://www.ocztechnology.com/revohybrid-faq

this even does it on block level .

----------

512GB costs 350 thats what ? 15% of the imac cost? Thats the difference between a 2.7GHZ i5 and 2.9GHZ i5 and thiswill make the imac a lot faster then that cpu bump.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
There is barely any difference between wats already out in the market, dont let some apple spin fool you .

http://www.ocztechnology.com/revohybrid-faq

this even does it on block level .

----------

[/COLOR]

512GB costs 350 thats what ? 15% of the imac cost? Thats the difference between a 2.7GHZ i5 and 2.9GHZ i5 and thiswill make the imac a lot faster then that cpu bump.

Don't let you fool yourself.

It's different because Fusion Drive is not a caching system. That's probably why they chose the name "Fused". The data resides on both disks and do not duplicate. It's like the disks are combined together. Your storage size should be 1.128 TB here theoretically.

The OCZ tech is "just" another hybrid drive caching system.

Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
This is actually not needed if apple went with 256GB as standard :rolleyes:

Yeah....because 256gb is SUCH a huge amount of storage :rolleyes:

Maybe the better part of a Decade 256gb was enough. But not anymore.

There isn't all that much different about this drive compared to a typical hybrid drive, some differences.

Very cool.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah....because 256gb is SUCH a huge amount of storage :rolleyes:

Maybe the better part of a Decade 256gb was enough. But not anymore.

There isn't all that much different about this drive compared to a typical hybrid drive, some differences.

Very cool.

A world of difference even though the goals may overlap.

Fusion Drive's total capacity is 1.128TB. A regular hybrid drive caching system is 1TB with the same disk.

"To be clear, this is not a caching concept, at least not in the current use of the word. Cache would imply that the data on the SSD is duplicated, and it's not. If you have a 1TB mechanical drive paired with the 128GB SSD, you have a 1.12 TB storage platform. This truly is the fusion of all the space on two separate disks."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.