Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akal575

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Okay, so I am partially confused. I'm one of those people who always upgrades to the newer generation of most Apple products. I purchased the iPad 3 when it was released (was it March sometime?).

I went to apple's website to look at the new iPad page and I came to this. http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/ Now, for whatever reason Apple seems to have strayed away from the numerical naming of iPad devices (much to my confusion). From what I see, Apple has all together removed the iPad 3 from production and now only sells the iPad 2 as the predecessor to the iPad 4.

So a product that isn't even 6 months old has already been discontinued? This kind of makes me angry. Especially with my purchase. I wonder what the ramifications of this decision will be when it comes to repairs on iPad 3?

Perhaps a damaged unit will get replaced with the next gen. iPad 4?

I am just confused as to why Apple would stop making the iPad 3, but continue selling the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 is clearly better than the iPad 2. The only reason why I could see them discontinuing the iPad 3, and instead push the iPad 2 is because the iPad 2 is probably cheaper to produce than the iPad 3. Apple wouldn't make as much money off of selling iPad 3's at the current discounted rate that the iPad 2 is now listed at.

I was really excited for today in regards to the iPad mini announcement. I feel that Apple announced some great upgrades for the mac side of things, but how they handled this whole iPad situation has left me somewhat disappointed.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Okay, so I am partially confused. I'm one of those people who always upgrades to the newer generation of most Apple products. I purchased the iPad 3 when it was released (was it March sometime?).

I went to apple's website to look at the new iPad page and I came to this. http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/ Now, for whatever reason Apple seems to have strayed away from the numerical naming of iPad devices (much to my confusion). From what I see, Apple has all together removed the iPad 3 from production and now only sells the iPad 2 as the predecessor to the iPad 4.

So a product that isn't even 6 months old has already been discontinued? This kind of makes me angry. Especially with my purchase. I wonder what the ramifications of this decision will be when it comes to repairs on iPad 3?

Perhaps a damaged unit will get replaced with the next gen. iPad 4?

I am just confused as to why Apple would stop making the iPad 3, but continue selling the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 is clearly better than the iPad 2. The only reason why I could see them discontinuing the iPad 3, and instead push the iPad 2 is because the iPad 2 is probably cheaper to produce than the iPad 3. Apple wouldn't make as much money off of selling iPad 3's at the current discounted rate that the iPad 2 is now listed at.

I was really excited for today in regards to the iPad mini announcement. I feel that Apple announced some great upgrades for the mac side of things, but how they handled this whole iPad situation has left me somewhat disappointed.
Yes it's discontinued. But chances are it will be supported for a long time, because both the iPad mini and the iPad 2 have much inferior specs. iOS needs to take care of them until they're EOL'ed. So iPad 3 won't be abandoned in reality.

akal575

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Why would you want a 3 when the 4 is better at the same price?

If you read the OP I stated that I already have the iPad 3. I am more or less unhappy with the fact that it has been about 6 months since I got this and now they are discontinuing the iPad 3 as a product.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Yes, the third gen has been discontinued to purchase as "new." I think people they kept the iPad 2 at $399 and didn't move the iPad 3 to that price range because it was too close to the fourth gen. I think it was more of a move to keep the iPad with retina display on par with other iDevices; iPod touch, iPhone 5, iPad mini, they all have a front facing 1.2MP 720p camera and lightning. The iPad 3 is too close in specs to the iPad 4 - I don't see a lot of people paying $100 more for a better iPad but it just has an upgraded FaceTime camera and and an A6X over A5X.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
If you read the OP I stated that I already have the iPad 3. I am more or less unhappy with the fact that it has been about 6 months since I got this and now they are discontinuing the iPad 3 as a product.

It's not like your 3 disappeared from your hands. Use it just like you did before the keynote address. It's just a tool.

If they keynote didn't happen, you'd still be happy with your iPad.

First world problems

Jimbonski

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Is there more to the story?

The one theory is that maybe there are issues with the iPad 3 and Apple simply is repairing them with the new, out of sequence, release? Well let explore the idea..1. Apple is still selling iPad 2. , but not 3.. 2. Out of normal cycle release.. 3. The fourth gen iPad has minor improvements not really revolutionary and yet it is here...so what is so wrong with the iPad 3? A faulty processor? Well let's wait and I think that soon we will learn the real reason..did Apple really "jumped the shark"?....If we are to look at the history, it might start to look like it is 1985 all over again, but this time Steve is not here the save them...

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
the ipad 4 replaces the ipad 3. why is that so hard to understand? it is the replacement model. the ipad 2 is still around because there are people who don't care about retina, want a 10" ipad, and at a low price. most apple buyers really don't have a clue about how technology works.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Oh no!!!!! iPad 3 discontinued means that yours no longer works and it's not the newest thing to brag about having.

Seriously.

Damaged iPad 3rd gen will get you an iPad 4th gen? Haha.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
The one theory is that maybe there are issues with the iPad 3 and Apple simply is repairing them with the new, out of sequence, release? Well let explore the idea..1. Apple is still selling iPad 2. , but not 3.. 2. Out of normal cycle release.. 3. The fourth gen iPad has minor improvements not really revolutionary and yet it is here...so what is so wrong with the iPad 3? A faulty processor? Well let's wait and I think that soon we will learn the real reason..did Apple really "jumped the shark"?....If we are to look at the history, it might start to look like it is 1985 all over again, but this time Steve is not here the save them...

Idiotic rationale. What do you expect the iPad 3 to do, start giving people a disease? Explode and take out a city block? Transform into a Decepticon n the middle of the night and take over the world?

They sold MILLIONS of the 3rd Gen and most people are extremely happy with them. The only thing Apple did is up their release cycle to add the Lightning connector to the larger iPad to match the other products, and use that as a way to spur sales over the holiday season. The other minor upgrades are merely there to make it look more attractive to potential buyers. But the primary goal is very clearly to add the Lightning connector. :rolleyes:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Samsung releases 6 tablets per year and everyone is excited to see the new one. Apple releases two in one calendar year and people get pissed off?

Someone call the whambulance...!

J3ayy

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2011
Malton, United Kingdom
I get where your coming from with this. You spend $400 on a product & then 6 months later its been discontinued :mad: Yea its annoying like some of the idiot remarks on here.:(

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
So what happens if your iPad 3rd gen needs replaced? They no longer offer 3rd gens so what would they do?

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
So what happens if your iPad 3rd gen needs replaced? They no longer offer 3rd gens so what would they do?

They undoubtedly have a stock of refurbs to replace them with.

And if they don't you get a new and better iPad.

Either way its not a problem and I don't see why this thread exists.

DMotox

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Its about consumer satisfaction...

Lets look at this rationally. I am a loyal apple customer. 3 iphones, 3 ipads,mac book and itouches in my household. All expensive equipment but worth it. Then i buy an ipad 3 believing i am getting the best for my hard earned dollar. Paid 699.00 for it then the ipad4 comes out a month later and they discontinue the 3. Apples reply to your loyalty.....Screw you buy another one.... This experience has been a slap in the face.... Apple should allow Ipad 3 users to be able to return there Ipads and pay like a 100 upgrade fee and get a 4. Just my opinion....

----------

Did you really post that here.... You cant even compare the products... Quality or price... You pay a premium for apple..... Look at all other tablet sales... ipad kills them all... Mainly because superior product and there focus on consumer satisfaction... This release angered alot of loyal apple followers... I spend thousands of dollars on apple products and possibly will spend thousands more but not if this is how they are doing business.... Keep your people loyal and offer Ipad3 users a low cost trade in option....Wait Apple dont want these back we are stuck with discontinued merchandise.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Your iPad 3 didn't just randomly stop working when the iPad 4 came out. I have an iPad 3 and it doesn't bother me one bit. And to the above poster, many Apple retail stores were allowing you to swap your iPad 3 for the 4 if it was purchased within 30 days.

The iPad 4 wasn't even that big of an upgrade. They didn't change the form factor or add some cool new features. They updated a few things inside and threw a Lightning port on it.

Last edited:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Lets look at this rationally. I am a loyal apple customer. 3 iphones, 3 ipads,mac book and itouches in my household. All expensive equipment but worth it. Then i buy an ipad 3 believing i am getting the best for my hard earned dollar. Paid 699.00 for it then the ipad4 comes out a month later and they discontinue the 3. Apples reply to your loyalty.....Screw you buy another one.... This experience has been a slap in the face.... Apple should allow Ipad 3 users to be able to return there Ipads and pay like a 100 upgrade fee and get a 4. Just my opinion....

----------

Did you really post that here.... You cant even compare the products... Quality or price... You pay a premium for apple..... Look at all other tablet sales... ipad kills them all... Mainly because superior product and there focus on consumer satisfaction... This release angered alot of loyal apple followers... I spend thousands of dollars on apple products and possibly will spend thousands more but not if this is how they are doing business.... Keep your people loyal and offer Ipad3 users a low cost trade in option....Wait Apple dont want these back we are stuck with discontinued merchandise.

So if you buy a new $ 40,000 car, and a month later they introduce a new model, they are slapping you in the face and the dealer should give you a new one for $ 100 or so? Geez

The iPad3 still works, and if one breaks you can get it replaced or fixed.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Walmart had 3rd gens advertised for Black Friday on sale for $399. Maybe Apple stores stopped carrying them, doesn't mean they were discontinued everywhere. And there is a one year something or other warranty so why be concerned at this moment?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.