Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
iBooks 3.0 is finally available for download.

Introducing iBooks 3

• See all your iBookstore purchases in iCloud—right on your bookshelf with iOS 6
• Scroll vertically through your books with the flick of a finger using the new Scroll theme
• Receive free updates to purchased books—including new chapters, corrections, and other improvements
• Look up definitions for words in German, Spanish, French, Japanese and Simplified Chinese with iOS 6
• Share quotes or thoughts about your favorite book with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Messages, or Mail

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Where is iBooks for Mac? That's what I was hoping for :-/

----------

This is my suspicion too. Apple wants iBooks to be an iOS exclusive. But who wants to spend money on a book they can only read on one device, when there are so many cross-platform alternatives out there? It's sad when Kindle offers a better option for eBooks across all your Mac devices than Apple itself is willing to offer.

It just means I don't tend to use iBooks. Nor do I want to release books in iBooks format since it is limited in platforms. At least Kindle is available on Kindle, MacOS, iOS, Windows and Android. Probably Linux too. That makes Kindle a much more appealing platform to release titles for. Apple is really goofing up on this.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
iBooks 3.0 is finally available for download.

Introducing iBooks 3

• See all your iBookstore purchases in iCloud—right on your bookshelf with iOS 6
• Scroll vertically through your books with the flick of a finger using the new Scroll theme
• Receive free updates to purchased books—including new chapters, corrections, and other improvements
• Look up definitions for words in German, Spanish, French, Japanese and Simplified Chinese with iOS 6
• Share quotes or thoughts about your favorite book with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Messages, or Mail

Update installed, but the new Purchased Books shelf is empty......even though I have plenty of purchased books in my account.

Anyone else seeing this as well?

-Kevin

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
It just means I don't tend to use iBooks. Nor do I want to release books in iBooks format since it is limited in platforms. At least Kindle is available on Kindle, MacOS, iOS, Windows and Android. Probably Linux too. That makes Kindle a much more appealing platform to release titles for. Apple is really goofing up on this.

You can see how they can't win though. If they put it into iTunes there will be complaints about bloat; if they make a separate app then it will probably be OSX only (as it seems they've given up on windows program's other than iTunes).

I can see how its great to have diversity of options, but out of interest in what sort of situation do people read books on computers? Not having a laptop it's never occurred to me. In bed, at a desk, on the train...?

hankydysplasia

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2009
Syncing

What's the deal with still not being able to sync content purchased elsewhere or PDF's?

Is this another example of intentionally forcing people to use their store by withholding a feature or laziness?

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Released

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but Apple just released the new version of iBooks 3.0 for iOS 6.

imerc08

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Update installed, but the new Purchased Books shelf is empty......even though I have plenty of purchased books in my account.

Anyone else seeing this as well?

-Kevin

On my iPhone, the Purchased Books shelf is also empty. On my iPad, they're all there. I'm not sure what's going on here..

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but Apple just released the new version of iBooks 3.0 for iOS 6.

Thanks for updating us. This topic's a bit too long for newcomers to check these sorts of things:)

therockyroad

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
I Thought They Meant Auto-Scroll

Darn, when I first read the headline I thought "continuous scroll" meant "auto scroll", like what I had on my Palm Tungsten ten years ago. I used to enjoy reading "no hands" from time to time.

If they really want to Think Different, they should try the single line horizontal auto-scroll (ticker style) mode that I saw in a reader for Mac once.

----------

It's actually quite a joy, I prefer it to awkward books that you have to hold open.

If they add auto-scroll one day you won't even have to hold it at all :)

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
STILL no app for mac, pc, or any other platform? **** that.

Have to agree, for me iBooks is a non-starter until its at least available on all Apple platforms. Never understood why OSX version hasn't bean released unless its down to contracts with publishers which wouldn't surprise me.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
yeah, we definitely need an iBooks app for the Mac, not sure why this has not been implemented yet . . . prolly to save something for next years apple event? :confused:

imstacydavids

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
Re: Apple Announces Updated iBooks App With Continuous Scrolling

"As a publisher, I look forward to the day when all ebooks are DRM-free. "
I can relate to this. Publishers really need ebooks that are DRM-free.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So far I'm annoyed at the new continuous scrolling feature. I hope there's an option for page turning. One of my favorite things about iBooks is how the reading experience is very similar to reading a real book, and I may switch back to the Kindle App :/

If you haven't noticed that continuous scrolling is an option, and that the page turning works exactly the same as it always did, then I suggest iBooks isn't dumbed down enough.

----------

Which is particularly frustrating to publishing companies such as mine. When we submit our ebooks to the iBookstore, we ALWAYS choose the "No DRM" option. Yet, Apple still apparently slaps a layer of DRM onto everything it sells.

I don't even know why they bother to offer that option if it's not actually going to be honored.

As a publisher, I look forward to the day when all ebooks are DRM-free.

I got a few paid for books from the iTunes store that are DRM free (from a publisher who wishes to publish everything DRM free, except that Amazon doesn't allow it). They are standard ePub format, which is basically a zip file containing all the files making up the book. The DRM infrastructure is all in place, all the key handling resources etc., including a list of the encrypted files - however, that list is empty. None of the files are encrypted. All the information to decrypt encrypted files, if there were any, is there, but there are none.

If you checked whether there is DRM by using some tool, it is quite possible that this tool found the DRM infrastructure, even though the book is completely readable if a reader just ignores the DRM infrastructure. Simple manual check: Rename the file from ".epub" to ".zip". Right-click on it in the Finder and decompress. Check if all the bits are there and readable.

Oman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
it appears that only books purchased via iBooks will be able to use the continuous scrolling feature.... :mad::eek:

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
If you haven't noticed that continuous scrolling is an option, and that the page turning works exactly the same as it always did, then I suggest iBooks isn't dumbed down enough

Don't be an ass, this was posted a few hours before the iBooks update was available, and I had only seen the Engadget liveblog of the keynote at the time, which used ambiguous language as to whether or not it was an "option" or the default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.