Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Will the 2 be going away, with the 3 taking its place, or is the new iPad simply a direct replacement for the iPad 3? Will overstock units be sold as refurbs or what?

On another note, is Siri even that useful on an iPad? I don't own one so I can't speak from experience but I feel like most of Siri's useful functions are phone specific.

No, the iPad 2 will stick around with the iPad 3 being replaced by the 4th generation. I would guess the remaining stock would go into replacement and repair and most of the stock will be sold as refurbs soon.

I only use siri to set calender alerts or timers or trigger phone calls when I am in the car (what I could do without Siri as well) ... for pretty much anything else I find it pretty useless.

T.

Lumi

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
London, UK
Shrunk die size for iPad Mini A5?

If Apple shrank the size of the iPad Mini's A5 CPU then it would have resulted in the part becoming smaller faster and consuming less power.
This is most likely why the device can support Siri and why also Apple were able to achieve 10 hours battery life with the Mini's smaller battery when the iPad 2 has a much bigger one.

Just because iPad Mini has an A5 chip does not mean it is the same A5 chip, just that the architecture is broadly same.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Oh man, the sense of entitlement and the childish whining is almost too much.

Not offering some new features (e.g., Siri) to older devices is not "planned obsolescence" because not adding new features doesn't stop your old features from working – the device is no less useful than it was the day before these new features were released for newer devices.

When you buy a device you buy the device as is. Any new features that are later given to you FOR FREE are a bonus. You have no right to expect them or demand them.

Furthermore, in this space, Apple offers better support than any other provider. Android devices rarely if ever get updates - and if they do it is often after months of waiting and with piles of carrier and manufacturer specific bloatware shovelled on top. People who bought Windows Phone 7 devices only this year have no upgrade path to Windows Phone 8 - none. But someone who still uses a 3GS which they bought three years ago can upgrade to iOS6 and enjoy 90% of the same functionality and the other, under the hood, benefits of that new OS that owners of a brand new iPhone 5 receive.

Are people happy? Do they feel well looked after and valued because the device they paid for three years ago(!) is still getting new, improved features for free? Most of them, yes. But others, not so much. They moan. They’re like children at Christmas, surrounded by presents, crying because one thing they wanted isn’t in the pile.

Seanozz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
My iPhone 4 doesn't have Siri and I'm not complaining. My buddies 3GS doesn't either and he doesn't give a rats ass either.

Why does everyone here seem to be butt Hurt an older device doesn't have a newer feature?

Only thing I'm complaining about is my 4 has almost 6gb of other and I've erased everything and can't get it to go away. My phone also will not finish a synch EVER. Now those are the kinds of complaints we should focus on. Lol

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
I think the iPad 2 only exists now due to a pile of inventory. Apple now has a lot more models in every category but that's not really their instinct.

The iPad 2 and the non-retina MacBook Pros will fade away relatively soon.

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I find myself using it all the time. It's easier to say "Call my dad" while walking than to Power On >> Slide to Unlock >> Home >> Phone >> Favorites >> Parents' Home >> Call or to ask about places to eat or for directions. It's been quite the lifesaver for me when I find ways to integrate it with my workflow.

You don't need Siri to call your dad. You can deactivate Siri and use the previous voice control by just saying his name (Not even "call", "mobile", "home" or stuff. If needed, it will ask again for further choices) and since it doesn't rely on an internet connection, it is also faster. In fact, it is instant and therefore the best voice control for calls if you don't have a voice which needs Siri to decrypt artifacts... ;)
I have a 4S and I have Siri turned off. It just feels better this way.

Bowbieloll

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
I take it you haven't used Siri on an iPad without GPS then?

The iPad mini Wi-fi only doesn't have GPS, so I imagine the Siri functionality is limited --

Long press Home button....

"BOOP!"

"I want to drink coffee"

"Would you like to search the web for 'I want to drink coffee?'"

Long press....

"BOOP"

"Where is the closest coffee shop?"

"Would you like to search the web for 'Where is the nearest coffee shop?'"

"AARRGGH!"

"I'm sorry, Mindcrime, I do not understand what you mean."

"ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGH!"

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Apple's meticulous battle of leveraging hardware vs software & vice-versa, has been intereferred by ongoing contracts/negotiations... who would of thought??? :rolleyes:

Figuratively, Apple is a submarine heading from one island to the next with a whole new set of goodies promised for each port... except, the sea life/creature knows what Apple is doing, and the rest of the world is just the prototypical Apple consumer going to want/buy the next best thing from Apple because they lack the underlying truths of how Apple's plays "ball".

Basically, there are only some who know the true business model surrounding Apple... but hey, it works. It works really really well actually.

How you capitalize on margins - is all about marketing & cutting costs without the public knowing you actually are.

The biggest definition of Apple being petty(or 'smart' as I see it) from a business stance as I mention above - is still keeping the retina display devices to only a max of 64GB storage. They have been having flash storage get cheaper & cheaper while their product line doesn't not reciprocate the market trend of 3 years prior.

Upgrade the damn flash memory Apple... the next iPad better have 96GB or 128GB, or I will suddenly get a taste of a "rotten" Apple in my mouth. :cool:

Apple, iCould may help you, but it doesn't help me!!! Give me more hard storage... I know you get the 8,16 & 32GB flash cards for cheap, but hook me up!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I find myself using it all the time. It's easier to say "Call my dad" while walking than to Power On >> Slide to Unlock >> Home >> Phone >> Favorites >> Parents' Home >> Call or to ask about places to eat or for directions. It's been quite the lifesaver for me when I find ways to integrate it with my workflow.

I totally agree that some stuff, like setting alarms and timers, is much easier with Siri. I disagree about the calling people bit though... Voice Control was faster because it didn't have to send stuff to a server and it seemed to match up my contacts better than Siri.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
people will have a blast selling the new old iPad on ebay. i picture many dumb beeps looking for the "iPad with Retina" and end up buying a used new old iPad instead ^^

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Siri on the ipad2? I'm surprised the ipad2 is still around! I fully expected apple to drop it entirely in announcing the ipad mini, so there was certainly no reason to think they would retrofit siri into it! The ipad2 has been functionally stabilized. That is, they're not going to do anything additional to it.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
I'm really surprised Apple hasn't dropped the iPad 2. I don't know why anybody would buy it over the iPad Mini or the new 4th Gen iPad. It's the worst value of the bunch that's for sure.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This. People giving reasons are just defending Apple's planned obsolescence.

Not like this is some new marketing strategy that Apple invented....everything goes through planned obsolescence. Video games, Android phones, that new mixer your wife wants....its part of consumerism. Dunno why its so shocking that Apple follows this model as well?

----------

I'm really surprised Apple hasn't dropped the iPad 2. I don't know why anybody would buy it over the iPad Mini or the new 4th Gen iPad. It's the worst value of the bunch that's for sure.

Doesn't the iPad 2 kinda remind you of the MacBook Pro now? I mean the Air is just about as powerful these days (for the average person using it) and is also cheaper and lighter and thinner. And if you want to do some more intese computing, you'll want the power of the rMBP....leaves the middle child out - which I think is Apple's intention. That middle product won't be around for long.

----------

people will have a blast selling the new old iPad on ebay. i picture many dumb beeps looking for the "iPad with Retina" and end up buying a used new old iPad instead ^^

Ahh good point....probably could've gotten away with that....

Oh well, sold mine (new iPad) to Best Buy and will be picking up an iPad w/ retina on Nov. 2.

t066j

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
iPad Mini

WOW! The iPad Mini sure looks like the Samsung Galaxy Note mobile phone to me? What's up with that Apple?

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
The iPad mini Wi-fi only doesn't have GPS, so I imagine the Siri functionality is limited --

No, in most cases, it can still accurately guess your location (based on the digital compass and nearby Wi-Fi networks--and, by the way, GPS on any device doesn't work well inside, so many probably fall back to this or cellular location anyway). All iOS devices include Location Services. The hardware just limits exactly how accurate it might be.

Also of note: the Wi-Fi only iPad "3" doesn't have GPS, either. The most important limiting factor is that you can't use Siri without an Internet connection.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Siri, why aren't you on the iPad 2?

"But I am on the iPad too! I'm on the iPad, the iPad Mini, the iPhone and the iPod Touch"

No Siri, the second iPad

"Correct, no Siri on the second iPad!"

Yes, but why not?!

"I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't answer that"

But what if I want my iPad 2 to answer questions using you Siri?

"A tutu is a short, flamboyant skirt typically worn by ballerinas, not Siri"

Oh forget it Siri, I don't really care that you aren't on the iPad 2 anymore.

"I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't answer that"

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Doesn't anyone here remember when FaceTime came out?

It was included on all new Macs, yet existing Mac owners had to buy it in the App Store. Why was that? What a rip off, right? Typical Apple greed, you say. Well, hold on a second…

It turns out there are legal issues that prohibit "adding significant functionality" to an already existing device. They couldn't give away FaceTime to existing Mac owners who already bought their computer, they had to sell it to them through the App Store to meet this legal requirement. Something to do with FCC filings, or some such nonsense.

And before you ask why they "brought it" to the iPad 3, clearly they included this contingency in their filings as existing functionality, even though it wasn't ready to be included at launch. They haven't charged for iOS updates in years, and you can't sell a Siri "component" through the iOS App Store, not that they would even want to put a price on it if they could.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
Um Apple will probably tell you it's the microphones in the iPad2 being not good enough to do voice recognition or something...

Jailbroken ipad 2 runs Siri as well as the ipad 3. The reason why it's not available? Simple answer. It is because apple does not give the most exciting new feature to older hardware. Simple. If you want it, then buy a new iPad.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I think they want the customer to buy the Mini or the new one instead of the 2 that is why don't allow Siri on the old iPad.

yeah man! its a CONSPIRACY! C-O-N-spiracy!

nevermind that apple still offers and sells the ipad2 as part of their product lineup...

----------

Maybe so, but the old new iPad does support it.
No, that's not confusing at all.

"third-generation"...whats so confusing or difficult about that? we've been referring to ipods and macbooks by similar nomenclature for a decade.

----------

It seems as if Apple is doing all they can to discourage the purchase of an iPad 2. They want people to go with the Mini or the 4. Keeping Siri off of the 2 seems consistent with that plan.

rubbish. if apple didnt want customers to buy the ipad2, they wouldnt continue to sell the ipad2!

seriously people. brains, use em. they continue to offer a mid-level product because they want to capture the mid-level market in addition to the upper and lower markets.

----------

This. People giving reasons are just defending Apple's planned obsolescence.

what a joke. iOS has the longest supported lifespan in the mobile industry. you want to talk about PO take a look at android -- how common is it for a given android handset to support *no* future OS updates?

i read these posts and i wonder what its like to live in such a dark shadowy world where everyone is out to get you....its the stuff of X-Files.

if apple didnt want to support the ipad2, they would simply stop supporting it. like google/motorola. they wouldnt continue to manufacture and sell them.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I do not think Apple should introduce any new iOS hardware that does NOT support Siri.

iHenry

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2012
Lower performance in iPad mini with A5 ? Siri & Personal Hotspot

I posted this already on a different thread but some of the questions remain unanswered:

Should there not be a decrease in performance, having the same A5 processor but taking care of the higher resolutions of both cameras, the higher pixel density screen, but with a smaller battery? Even if the screen is smaller?

Will they retrofit the iPad2 to have Siri with an update?
After the iPad mini introduction people are starting to shout out loud for a fair explanation as the situation can be easily seen by the consumers as an abuse they can't technically understand.
Does the same thing happen with the personal hotspot that iPad2 users can't have? Does the iPad mini have it?

Why would they not let the iPad2 have Siri then?
A business decision instead of a technical one?

xriderx11

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
This doesn't surprise me.

Apple knows that If u want a bigger screen you will pay more money. They'd rather make you buy the newer one because it will cost you more money.

It has NOTHING to do with specs. I bet the iPhone 3G could run Siri if apple allowed it. There was an app called "personal assistant" and apple bought it from them and I used my iPod touch 2G and 3G and 4G with it. So all the iPads can run Siri if apple allowed it. Apple just wants you to milk the most money out of you.

Same thing with the iPod touch. They want you to spend an extra 100$ and go with the 32gb to get the 5th generation that has Siri.

And the iPhone 4G and how it doesn't have 3D maps and maps voice guidance. It's just another way to make you buy the newest thing and not buy an older or keep your existing iPhone... When you buy more things= profit for apple

____

So no I believe apple will not add Siri to the iPad 2.... They'd rather u buy the iPad 3 or 4 from them.

musclerotton

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
bye bye iPad 2

This makes sense. Phase out iPad 2, just have iPad mini and iPad. Explains the name game. It was never "the new iPad." It was, the new "iPad." I like apple because it continues to grow but they make sure to weed out the old stuff. Keeps things simple. Doesn't the kindle have like 7 different versions out right now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.