Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
My 11-year-old daughter (6th grade) wants to buy an iPod Touch, and I wonder how important the quantity of memory would be for her use. Would 8GB be enough, or should she be looking at 16GB or more?

I don't think it's such a great idea, and I'm not encouraging it, but she'd be using her own money, if she saves up enough. When I ask her what she wants to do with it, she says "play games." Although she is pretty resistant to peer influence, I suspect she basically wants one because "all" the other kids have them. Sigh. On the other hand, at least she's wise enough to say she doesn't want a smart phone, because she doesn't want to pay the continuing monthly expense. (Nor would she be able to even if she wanted to!)

She already has a (6th-gen) iPod Nano, which gets low to moderate use. She's not super into music -- less than other kids her age, I think -- but her interest does seem to be increasing in that area. She uses the Nano more for audiobooks. Her music and audiobook library fits comfortably in the 8GB of storage.

She has access to computers in the house for web surfing and checking her email, and she has access to a decent digital camera.

I'm guessing she would use it as follows: games (mostly), taking snapshots, audiobooks (on trips, especially), music (some), web surfing and email (around the house -- just for the novelty of it).

Assuming she persists in her desire, I'm thinking to steer her toward a 4th-gen Touch. I notice that Best Buy is selling 8GB 4th-gen for $175 and 16GB ones for $195. I also notice there are *lots* of used 8GB ones for sale on craigslist in my area and we could save a bunch going that route.

Although our household has two Macs and two iPods, this would be our first iOS device (!yes, we're rather slow-adopters!). I haven't followed the iOS stuff. So, can anyone give me some insight on these questions:

(a) How much memory should we look for, keeping in mind that we're price sensitive? Is there a rule-of-thumb average per game or app?

(b) If we bought a used one, could the seller "include" the games that he bought, or would we buy them over again? Here I mean legally, legitimately.

(c) Are there (decent) free games, or are all the worthwhile ones paid applications?

Regards,
Brian.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
A. 16GB, The music and audiobooks will take up more space than the apps themselves. There are 500MB-1GB games, but as she's 11 and a girl, they won't really interest her. You're looking at 50MB per app.

B. You can't buy the games with the device since it's account based, you'll have to open an account for her, and maybe put it under your name since she's a minor. Don't worry too much as a lot of games (majority even) are free or $0.99-2.99. You can just add iTunes gift cards and not worry about having to link your credit cards. Put some parental controls before giving it to her, BTW.

C. There are lots and lots and lots of free games. Too many to list even.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Wow, Jessica, thanks so much! Just the sort of info I was hoping to get. I appreciate it.

You're welcome! There's also the Free App of the Week feature they launched a few months ago, so always something there that's FREE to try out every week.

My brother is around the same age as your daughter, and he has the last generation of the Touch too. A lot of the developers have holiday sales, whether it be first day of fall, halloween weekend, Columbus day, etc, etc, that happens pretty much every month. So I usually let him buy the paid games during then because they're usually all marked down to $0.99, so you can save a lot of money that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.