Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Phil Schiller can make all the comments he wants, but it's still too expensive for me and I won't be buying one. I already have an iPad 3 (thanks for making it obsolete so quickly, Apple!), and I would've added an iPad mini to the household if it was priced fairly at $249 (at most). But at $329, it emphasizes to me that it's a gadget that I absolutely do not need.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I for one think its a rip off, $249 to $299 TOPS. Thanks to the overpriced, in sufficient hardware, especially resolution it made my buying the Kindle Fire HD that much easier.

Get the nexus 7 instead please. Don't fall for the kindle fire. The nexus 7 is a much better product.

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
With the $299 iPod Touch, they had to make this slightly more. I don't mind the price, the quality and build of this product makes up for the higher $$$. People seem to forget that Apple is still a niche company in the sense that they see themselves as "BMW" and not "Ford" so they are always going to charge more than their competitors but to me, it's worth it from their packaging to the experience using their products...

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Hmmm... Phil's argument isn't one that breeds a sense of compassion for Apple, and infact exhibits the opposite for most.

Using the case that the iPad sold very well at $399 so we're going to sell at $349 for the iPad Mini, regardless (that we could, but won't...).

It's the dismissive tone that most will imply Apple simply charge more, because they can - which doesn't sit well with people.

Which is why better products from Android is good, to encourage Apple to consider a more competitive price point. Although Apple will never race to the bottom. You get what you pay for. This still, just about, applies.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
The thing people are missing is they are comparing it to a 7" tablet, it isn't 7", it is in a new classification that is bigger then 7" and smaller than the iPad.

That being said, it is still going to be viewed as a competitor of the 7" ones and despite the larger area.

jakeeisele

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
I don't understand why everyone is so upset over the starting price of the iPad mini. Especially since ALL of their products have a large price gap between comparable products. It's not like we aren't going to buy it anyway. After all, it's an Apple product.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
1. Apple could have dealt a death blow to Amazon & Google with the proper pricing of the iPad mini. Instead, Apple gave them a Christmas gift with Apple's blessing. Makes no sense.

2. Why would anyone buy the iPad mini when they can get a REAL iPad for only $70 more? Makes no sense.

desmoboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
UK
Sorry Phil, the pricing is very hard to swallow considering the hardware is 2 generations behind your latest iPad and well below that of the competitors (Nexus 7)!

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
I was thinking $299 initially so $329 isn't a big enough difference to cause me grief. I have an iPhone and a 13" Air so the Mini's size and weight is far more attractive than the iPad's. It's primarily going to be used as an e-reader.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
These price differences are meaningless on a device that you will probably use daily for years. The price will be quickly eclipsed by your data plan costs anyway. Oh and if you are just buying the wifi version for a device as portable as the mini you are probably doing it wrong. That is unless you plan on having a mobile hotspot with you (which is actually probably the best solution).

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
It's all about money. Phil/Apple knows people are going to pay $329 so why not sell it at that. It's cheaper than the full size iPad but no way underpowered.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Apple products have been overpriced for years, but yet people still buy them. This is nothing new. Apple could have lowered the price if they want, but they already know, its the holidays and people see $329 and iPad name and immediately want one.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apple doesn't compete on price.

It will have to. It's a consumer electronics market after all. Everybody has to compete on price if they want to be a volume seller. What worked for Apple in small volumes (fanatical following) is not going to work on masses.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Well let's keep our fingers crossed that the iPad super mini will be $49, with a 4" diagonal screen, built in phone, oh wait... :rolleyes::apple:
ryanh.png

I wish my iPod could make phone calls. No, I don't want an iPhone I know what an iPhone is.

I understand the price. $249 cuts into the iPod touch. People are not complaining so much that a 4 inch "tablet" is $300, but cannot fathom a 7.9 inch one at $330

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
Shocking!!!

The person respnsible of the price defends it
:D

Also not shocking I suppose, a lot of the underlying technology is already dated and Apple will sell a lot of units anyway before updating it in less than year.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It's not about spec. Andoid devices need much more CPU power and RAM to work any close as well as iOS ones...

No, they don't need that

The thing people are missing is they are comparing it to a 7" tablet, it isn't 7", it is in a new classification that is bigger then 7" and smaller than the iPad.

Really? So they compete with the 7.7", 8" or 8.9" tablets out there?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple is charging a premium price for a product stuffed with old technology.

Seriously, a dumb move by Apple. I agree that they shouldn't sell at cost (like Amazon and Google), but Apple had a unique opportunity to effectively close the door on its competitors and it chose not to.

exactly. I would have paid $400 if the technology was up to par

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
What they cannot defend I'm sure is their pricing with the 13 in retina Macbook Pro lol

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
1. Apple could have dealt a death blow to Amazon & Google with the proper pricing of the iPad mini. Instead, Apple gave them a Christmas gift with Apple's blessing. Makes no sense.

2. Why would anyone buy the iPad mini when they can get a REAL iPad for only $70 more? Makes no sense.

Answer: form-factor. Some people just want something a bit smaller to lug around and also it's the "newest" product so it will sell like hot-cakes. Also, I know I am someone who doesn't mind spending more money for say Oakley sunglasses compared to a cheaper knock-off, so I don't think Apple will have any problem selling the iPad mini, in fact, I could see these taking away sales of the larger ones...

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I feel that they should have offered an 8 GB version for around $279 (assuming this still had margins they were okay with)... This would give them the "Starting at $279" pitch they could use in advertising, so it could be less than $300. Also, a $50 price difference between an 8 GB version and 16 GB version sounds good IMO.

When the rumors suggested $249 for 8 GB and $349 for 16 GB, I was still planning to buy a 16 GB model for my GF for Christmas because 8 GB wouldn't be enough for her. I was okay with that price, so I am coming out $20 ahead technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.