Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I've switched back and forth b/w iPhone and Android devices for the past 2 years and preordered the iPhone 5 as soon as possible. I'm enjoying the phone so far but iOS definitely feels a bit stale and very closed even though I think the app ecosystem and design is superior. Anyway, I saw the press image below of the Nexus 4 this morning that is rumored to be released next week and it got me thinking whether it's worth selling the iPhone and switching back. Anyone else in a similar situation?

a5-eqeycmae4lzs.jpg-large.jpeg

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
That looks like a bad blackberry. I think last year's nexus was much better looking.

Well the front looks pretty much identical to the Galaxy Nexus and I think the back of this device looks superior (and a little different). But it's all a matter of opinion.

----------

Hell no ive tried them all including the s3 android just sucks imo

I wouldn't use any device that has a manufacturer overlay over Android. Ruins the whole experience. To me, a Nexus device w/ pure stock Android is the only type of Android device I'd ever use.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I'm definitely buying a Nexus 4.

Every Nexus to date has been quite good, the last one is currently my favorite smartphone, just ahead of my iPhone 4S.

The HD IPS display on this new Nexus will be simply outstanding.

Yet that said I was hoping that Apple would catch up and include a relevant modern sized display on the iP5. But hey, there's always next year. I'm finding my 4S so much nicer than the iPhone 5 I retired.

Build quality of the 4S is excellent, no scuffs to dictate a case, and overall just a better phone. Running iOS 5, I'm enjoying reliable trouble free operation. None of the frustrations of iOS 6.

Give Apple another year to catch up, then I'll take another look.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I'm definitely buying a Nexus 4.

Every Nexus to date has been quite good, the last one is currently my favorite smartphone, just ahead of my iPhone 4S.

The HD IPS display on this new Nexus will be simply outstanding.

Yet that said I was hoping that Apple would catch up and include a relevant modern sized display on the iP5. But hey, there's always next year. I'm finding my 4S so much nicer than the iPhone 5 I retired.

Build quality of the 4S is excellent, no scuffs to dictate a case, and overall just a better phone. Running iOS 5, I'm enjoying reliable trouble free operation. None of the frustrations of iOS 6.

Give Apple another year to catch up, then I'll take another look.

I completely disagree with you about the iPhone 5 vs. the 4S and iOS 6 vs. iOS 5 (except for Maps). That being said, I wonder how this device is going to be sold. I'm hoping for ~$350 with no contract while being able to use it on AT&T w/ LTE. Though I'd be a bit flexible on price, without it being AT&T LTE capable, it's not even an option for me.

Psycho Mantis

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
California
Depends on off contract price. I really like the Nexus because as already mentioned, it is pure Android, no carrier bloat ware or useless apps. And we know it will pretty much always recieve updates first, something other OEMs can't seem to keep up with.

wx4olf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Nah, the Nexus series has always been a little weak in the camera area compared to the iphone 4s/5 and galaxy s3 phones. I like the idea of stock Android but CM10 is pretty good on my galaxy so I'll just stick with going the custom rom route and what I think is slightly better hardware.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I've switched back and forth b/w iPhone and Android devices for the past 2 years and preordered the iPhone 5 as soon as possible. I'm enjoying the phone so far but iOS definitely feels a bit stale and very closed even though I think the app ecosystem and design is superior. Anyway, I saw the press image below of the Nexus 4 this morning that is rumored to be released next week and it got me thinking whether it's worth selling the iPhone and switching back. Anyone else in a similar situation?

no matter what you buy, you always lose when it comes to buying android
Buying a nexus: only way to ensure long-term OS updates, stock android, BUT, nexus is always behind when it comes to spec (because the manufacturer wants to reserve their best hardware for their own flagship device)

Buying a flagship from any android oem: you lose software update support, skinned hideous android, excellent hardware.

speaking of which, most of my friends with a galaxy nexus hate this LG nexus due to its lack of significant improvements.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
This is an iPhone forum...expect very few unbiased opinions. I like iOS and android. Android does not suck, as some like to put it. It is still young and needs more optimizing, but due to fragmentation and all other variables it will be hard to do. If google dared to have more control over android it would be a great experience. Pure android is nice, but you will experience a few more bugs as compared to iOS.

applebro

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I keep an open mind when it comes to electronics (to a certain extent). If LG makes this phone instead of Samsung then HELL NO.

Brb LG flip phone had to be returned so many times they gave me another LG phone. That one messed up several times.
Brb LG display has some IR on the retina display. Afraid to return it for another because I may get one that has much worse IR

Owned a properly functioning LG product? Not even once.

I was actually contemplating the Galaxy Nexus before I chose the iPhone 5. What really pushed me to iPhone 5 was the integration between apple products

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I like the back. It's like a throw back to the OG nexus. As far as wanting it, sure but I enjoy my iPhone 4S enough to wait till the next iPhone unless the Nexus completely blows me away.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
speaking of which, most of my friends with a galaxy nexus hate this LG nexus due to its lack of significant improvements.

Your friends don't know what they are talking about.

-The screen is non-pentile IPS, much better than the one on the galaxy nexus.
-the quad core krait processor in the LG is way ahead of the dual core A9 in the gnex
-The adreno 320 gpu absolutely destroys the pos that was in the gnex
-Double the ram
-Bigger battery
-Better cameras

Lack of significant improvements?

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Your friends don't know what they are talking about.

-The screen is non-pentile IPS, much better than the one on the galaxy nexus.
-the quad core krait processor in the LG is way ahead of the dual core A9 in the gnex
-The adreno 320 gpu absolutely destroys the pos that was in the gnex
-Double the ram
-Bigger battery
-Better cameras

Lack of significant improvements?

..actually, they are the ones who tinker with their phones everyday, experimenting with different ROMs..etc

all of those things you mentioned, are just about any 'improvements' you'd expect to see from one generation to the next, or in other words, a mere spec bump.

If you love android so much, feel free to leave, and mods needs to move this thread to the 'alternatives' forum so my eyes don't need to get polluted.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
all of those things you mentioned, are just about any 'improvements' you'd expect to see from one generation to the next, or in other words, a mere spec bump.

If you love android so much, feel free to leave, and mods needs to move this thread to the 'alternatives' forum so my eyes don't need to get polluted.

The Spec bumps are similar as those from ip4S to IP.. I'm sure no one is complaining that those aren't significant improvements.

If those are "Any improvements you'd expect to see from one generation to the next" why do your friends "hate" the new nexus? It makes no sense.

Also, I'm trying to understand why me stating facts comparing two phones (neither of which I have nor intend to purchase) leads you to believe I "love" android...

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I don't have a smartphone presently. I would love to get an iPhone, but I really need transit directions. I think Android is the better OS for a phone, but I prefer the iPhone in all the other ways.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I'm currently using an iPhone 4S and I'm thinking of switching. Pure Android Jelly Bean is years ahead of iOS 6 IMO. Plus for the first time a Nexus really comes with killer hardware.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Software is the point of a Nexus phone. It's a developers phone. While the hardware is always decent it's rarely been the best and if it is its only for like a couple of weeks.

I prefer software over hardware any day. Unfortunately with developing the camera can usually be skimped on a bit.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
no matter what you buy, you always lose when it comes to buying android
Buying a nexus: only way to ensure long-term OS updates, stock android, BUT, nexus is always behind when it comes to spec (because the manufacturer wants to reserve their best hardware for their own flagship device)

Buying a flagship from any android oem: you lose software update support, skinned hideous android, excellent hardware.

This was the case last year. Samsung put in crap processor, crap GPU, crap camera and crap display in order not to cannibalize Galaxy sales. But as far as I know, LG Nexus 4 will have the same hardware as Optimus G. (if not better)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm tempted, but then again, I'm tempted to get a lot of new tech, a habit that can get a bit expensive. :eek:

I like the design of the rumored Nexus 4 but no LTE (if rumors are true) and limited memory are likely going to keep me from getting one. I'm honestly more interested right now in the Lumia 920, just waiting for a release date (come on already!) and a chance to check it out in person.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I have been an iPhone user since 2007 and this Nexus is on the top of my list for my next phone. I returned the iPhone 5 (twice) because it wasn't different enough than the iPhone 4 I'm using now.

Someone above said it right. The Nexus is about software and won't be at the absolute bleeding edge of specs. HOWEVER, this LG Nexus is pretty much there. The only other "better" spec it could have is a 1080P screen and those aren't proven yet.

I find it hard to resist hardware and realize that software is more important which is why I am tempted by the HTC 5in 1080P phone that is coming up.

This nexus is based off of the newly released LG Optimus G and reviews for that phone have been awesome so far. The place where it is lacking is software and being a Nexus will fix that.

So to answer the question I am beyond tempted for this phone and don't see anything better. It will get the latest and greatest from Google super fast just like Apple does with iPhone and there is no contract so if needed I can switch carriers or phones whenever I want. I'm thinking I am going to start doing a yearly upgrade cycle instead of a two year cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.