Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
What made you switch? I have a Pure now but may go with the GLAS.tR for it's oleophobic properties.

I think the Pure is just a better glass protector overall:

1. Seems thinner than the Glas.T.R
2. Less recess for the home button
3. More flexible and more forgiving on the installation
4. Great feel and more smudge proof
5. I actually prefer the straight edge rather than the beveled edge

autofree

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Close up pics

Picked this up from a local retailer over the weekend. Just wanted to share some pics.

Overall, a great screen protector at a premium price (I did get a slight discount). Feels great when swiping and looks razor sharp. It's thick, but provides protection.

The area around the opening for the phone speakers didn't adhere well though. I will contact them about it.

IMG_0231_zps5169ff6c.jpg

IMG_0232_zps998aa293.jpg

IMG_0233_zpsf9afdf9f.jpg

IMG_0250_zps2331a0d1.jpg

And someone had asked what it looked like in an Incipio OVRMLD case. Here it is.
IMG_0247_zps7e2b730c.jpg

flamingoezz

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I did. I had a couple pieces at first, even after taking all precautions to prevent it. I even used compressed air to make sure everything would be lint free. After seeing the lint, i lifted the glas.t from the corner with my fingernail very slowly and i used blue painter's tape to lift the lint off of it. After reapplying the glas.t, everything was perfect and I couldn't be happier.

i lifted a corner up with my fingernail and the edge won't adhere completely now...it looks like the back adhesive is like a clear film, and it got a little wrinkled (for lack of a better word). anyone have that issue? think i could lift it again and smooth it out so the edge will not remain pulled up?

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
You are protecting glass by covering it with glass. Not nearly as durable as any of the crystal clear protectors on the market. It's about as dumb as putting water on your car to protect it from rain as opposed to using wax.

That makes no sense. That's the same as saying you're putting scratches on the screen to protect it from scratches.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Picked this up from a local retailer over the weekend. Just wanted to share some pics.

Overall, a great screen protector at a premium price (I did get a slight discount). Feels great when swiping and looks razor sharp. It's thick, but provides protection.

The area around the opening for the phone speakers didn't adhere well though. I will contact them about it.

Take off your band and put something heavy over the glass. Leave it overnight.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
what it's the best method to install it if i put the home sticker i can put line in ??? perfect install

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
I'm about ready to install this thing tomorrow, this is my 2nd attempt. My 1st didn't go so well as I ended up with multiple dust specks under the protector and after several re-applications, the adhesive side weakened. I took all the necessary precautions: steamy bathroom, lint-free cloth wipe down and air compressor to the screen, but somehow that didn't help. Extremely frustrating. So i'm guessing I should use a lint roller this time.

Just to be certain, I need to apply the lint roller against both the iPhone screen and the adhesive side of the Pure right before I set it down? This doesn't leave any residue on the iPhone screen and it doesn't affect the adhesive on the Pure?

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I'll never understand why someone would buy a glass screen protector.
Why do you care?

You are protecting glass by covering it with glass. Not nearly as durable as any of the crystal clear protectors on the market. It's about as dumb as putting water on your car to protect it from rain as opposed to using wax.

You obviously have never felt/used the glass T/Pure. If you had then you would know why we buy it. Your analogy is dumb and makes no sense.

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I'm about ready to install this thing tomorrow, this is my 2nd attempt. My 1st didn't go so well as I ended up with multiple dust specks under the protector and after several re-applications, the adhesive side weakened. I took all the necessary precautions: steamy bathroom, lint-free cloth wipe down and air compressor to the screen, but somehow that didn't help. Extremely frustrating. So i'm guessing I should use a lint roller this time.

Just to be certain, I need to apply the lint roller against both the iPhone screen and the adhesive side of the Pure right before I set it down? This doesn't leave any residue on the iPhone screen and it doesn't affect the adhesive on the Pure?

Are you talking about the Spigen's GLAS.tR or Bodyguardz Pure? just a tad confused since this is a glas.tr thread.. so the pure is reusable?

maniacphoner

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
He's saying they didn't acknowledge the flaws in the first version and instead, release a new version while still selling the old flawed version.

I didn't see any flaws in the first version although I did hear some mixed reviews. I have heard plenty of complaints about the bubble issues from the installation.

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
Are you talking about the Spigen's GLAS.tR or Bodyguardz Pure? just a tad confused since this is a glas.tr thread.. so the pure is reusable?

Sorry I forgot to edit my post. My question applies to both glass protectors since they're nearly the same. People have said that the Pure can be reapplied if the first shot doesn't go so well. I have found my experience to be consistent with that theory, I managed to re-apply about 3-4 times before I had to throw it away.

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
I removed/reapplied the Glas.tr 4-5 times because I kept getting tiny specks of dust under the glass. I finally managed a 99.9999 percent perfect install. My guess is that the adhesive is a tiny bit weaker than it would have been if I had not removed it so many times, but frankly, it seems just fine for now. I have an extra that I bought, just in case, and I will hold onto it in the event I have a problem in the future. But for right now, I'm totally loving it.

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
Alright so I managed to get it nearly perfect, alignment is 100% but I have a single speck of dust near the top speaker. Unfortunately, I have OCD and it's really bothering me. Anybody know of a method to lift the glass screen protector up by the edge? I can't use my fingernail because that's how I screwed up the last glass protector...I ended up scraping the corner edge and the adhesive permanently weakened. I tried using a piece of painter's tape but it's too weak and it won't budge. I just want to lift it up slightly and quickly slip in a piece of tape to remove the piece of dust. Is this even a good idea or should I just bite the bullet and let it be?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Try Duct Tape.

I want to know how a lint roller does not ruin the adhesive?

You all are just rolling it over? Doesn't it make it worse?

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
Try Duct Tape.

I want to know how a lint roller does not ruin the adhesive?

You all are just rolling it over? Doesn't it make it worse?

Duct tape doesn't seem to work either.

I used a sheet of scotch lint remover across the entire iPhone screen but I didn't bother to use it on the adhesive side of the screen protector. I was apprehensive at first that it was gonna leave some residue but it didn't. Worked well at removing lint and dust but 1 managed to sneak in by the edge during my application.

kosm0

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
I wonder, could you use a case like the Speck Fabshell, which covers the margins of the screen by some millimeters, install that first, and afterwards install the GLAS.t'R', so that the case would serve as a help when aligning? Since the sides of the iPhone screen that are covered by the case are a little elevated, the GLAS.t'R' would only lie plain on the screen when it's in the right position. Hope you understand what I'm talking about. :D

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
I wonder, could you use a case like the Speck Fabshell, which covers the margins of the screen by some millimeters, install that first, and afterwards install the GLAS.t'R', so that the case would serve as a help when aligning? Since the sides of the iPhone screen that are covered by the case are a little elevated, the GLAS.t'R' would only lie plain on the screen when it's in the right position. Hope you understand what I'm talking about. :D

I used the GLAS.t and GLAS.tR with a few cases. I know they work for the Amazon Bumper, Candyshell fab and grip, poetic atmosphere.

I found a good video on YouTube i believe title is "Spigen SGP GLAS.t - iPhone 5" Shows the GLAS.t and the GLAS.tR
honestly looks the same?

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009

One good thing about installing these glass protectors is that it's extremely easy to align since it's a solid mass. Also, once you lay it on the iPhone, you can adjust it around to perfection before you press it down onto the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.