Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

skypelogo.jpg
Microsoft has updated Skype to version 6, adding Retina display support as well as the ability to sign into Skype using a Facebook account. This eliminates the need to sign up for a separate Skype account. Last year, Skype added the ability to make Facebook chat and video calls to its app.
Microsoft and Facebook Account Integration
Sign up and sign-in is easier than ever. You can now sign into Skype using your Microsoft or Facebook account - there's no need to create a new Skype account. This makes it even easier to connect with friends on Skype without having to set up another account.

IM friends on Messenger
Now you can instant message your Windows Live Messenger, Hotmail and Outlook.com contacts via Skype all in one place. If you use a Microsoft account today, merging your accounts is easy - just sign in to Skype with your Microsoft account.

Calling with Messenger friends is coming soon
We're working on polishing a feature which will enable audio and video calls to Windows Live Messenger customers using Skype desktop clients. The feature will be available in coming weeks.

Open Chats in Multiple Windows
We hear your feedback! With this release we've added support to open chats in multiple windows.

Retina Display Support
We also added another feature you've asked for - support Retina display. Now you can take full advantage of improved usability and of higher resolution screens.
Skype for Mac is a free download from Skype.com.

Article Link: Skype 6 for Mac Now Supports Facebook Logins and the Retina Display

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Does it still have that pig ugly, and oversized GUI ?
I am still on 2.something because of it.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
New York
When you place the Skype Test Call on the Macbook Pro is it normal for the voice that is played back to only come from the right speaker or should it come from both speakers?

Please let me know!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
When you place the Skype Test Call on the Macbook Pro is it normal for the voice that is played back to only come from the right speaker or should it come from both speakers?

Please let me know!

It should come from both.

I installed it. Notification Center support's included.

I don't see it. My options are built-in or Growl, same as before, and it doesn't appear in NC preferences.

Go to 'Preferences' -> 'General' -> 'Open conversation in new window when double-clicked in the sidebar'.

It's really weird that you can enable/disable that. It's not like double clicking will do anything else there.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
If the interface wasn't designed as backward and unfriendly as possible, Skype wouldn't have the unique distinction of being the ONLY app that I use the tiny pixelated iPod Touch version of on this huge retina displayed iPad 3.

But it is, so I do.

For gods sakes, hire someone, anyone to put some, any, thought into your UI already. It's awful, and has been for longer than you could possibly come up with a good excuse for.

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
That icon!
Also, the menu bar icon is now black instead of coloured (e.g. green as online).

Attachments

• Naamloos.png
    Naamloos.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Schermafbeelding 2012-10-24 om 22.12.49.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-10-24 om 22.12.49.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 3,251

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just realized yesterday I was using version 2.x and updated to 5. Bad timing!!! haha.

I rarely use skype. iChat/Messages is so much better and I don't have to add a whole extra set of contacts (though I guess now skype integrates with contacts)

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
30 seconds and I've already run into three bugs. My advice: Wait for for the first patches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.