Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
I get what you are saying an agree to a certain extent but to call the iPad 3rd gen CPU "crap" is a bit strong... The A6X will probably be on a par with the iPhone 5 CPU (which is excellent) but that didn't render the iPhone 4S obsolete any more than the iPad 4th gen will render the 3rd gen obsolete. Apple will continue to release iOS updates for the next few years and software is what defines the iPad and sets it apart from the competition anyway. The presence of lots of good quality iPad specific apps is key to the iPads continuing dominance of the tablet market.
I have an iPad 3 and I'm not overly concerned or angry. However I do believe there are certain points that disappear in the noise. Arguably the life cycle of iPad 3 will be shorter than iPad 4. How do I define life cycle? By looking at what iOS version it can run, what features it supports, and more importantly, what apps it can run and how well. It isn't too hard to guess that in a few months there will be apps and games which run much smoother on iPad 4 vs older versions. By upgrading the CPU sooner (and by quite a bit, if PR is to be believed), Apple has effectively ensured that the iPad 3s effective life cycle, defined as the number of new apps it can run smoothly and efficiently, is shortened.

mcphee7

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
This iPad mini had to be done and to be honest, retina display or not, its a sensation that will sell like hotcakes. Now, I have to buy an iPad but I am in the first world problem of choosing between the new new iPad or the iPad mini.

Excellent.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
As long as there are people queueing for a week outside Apple stores for the latest iThing, and as long as demand for the latest iThing outstrips demand for the previous iThing, and as long as people actually feel pained at not having the latest iThing, Apple will continue to make you feel left behind in ever-decreasing life-cycles. Because you keep paying.

I used to use Macs for work. When they felt a little outdated I'd max out the RAM and upgrade whatever I could. I'd get many usable years out of them. The inappropriately-name 'SuperDrive' was usually the first thing to die, and now the external SuperDrive is restricted in compatibility, forcing an over-priced visit to a self-proclaimed 'Genius'. Recently the MacBook pro became practically impossible to upgrade. Apple has added it to the 'use for 12 months then bin it' product line.

And now the new iMac. A desktop computer with little or no room for upgrades? A desktop computer falling foul of Apple's bizarre obsession with 'thinner'. Is anybody using a desk that's less than 1" deep? Did you ever hear anyone say that the most important feature they wanted on the next iMac was that it absolutely must free up half an inch of airspace above their desk, even at a cost of upgradeability?

You think you're angry now? Not in Apple's eyes you're not. You can complain all you like, but all they hear is 'ker-ching!'.

Androidpwns

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
England
And how are those people screwed? Do their iPads suddenly stop working when the next model shows up?

Did Apple screw me -- an iPad 2 owner -- by releasing the Retina iPad?

That said, this is an inane rumor -- and like 98% of the rumors here -- that is unlikely to end up being true.

Oh dear..

nascimento

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
What are you talking about? Are you aware of what silicon is capable of? It's not burning you, if it was that hot its definitely defective, but an iPad 3 is well within its thermal capabilities. It's not going to die of overheating.

Ok time will tell but i bet anything you like that this Ipad will be the most problematic Ipad to date...especially the battery

----------

dude what are you talking about. the market was not the same when they released the ipad 3 cpu. the cpu was just fine for its short lifetime. the market changed. times change. now its crap and they needed an update.

I may not have your technical knowledge but The chip in the Ipad 3 is (basically) the same as ipad 2 with supposedly a graphics update. It was never fine, even when it was sold as a new chip. What apple should have done is use a completely new chip, for some reason they didn't.

Winstar

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I cannot play 1080p MKV video on ipad3. It't the only thing I found to date I cannot do. Perhaps a6 chip will do. Anyone thought this?? :rolleyes:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
What in the world are you talking about? It's slightly warmer than my iPad 2 was but nowhere near hot enough to kill silicon.

What class action lawsuit could there possibly be? The device is not defective because its a bit warmer than a different model.

Some people...:rolleyes:

Twas not the point. If your Silicon maxes out at , say, 100 C you can have it at 100 C 95% of the time and say, legally, "It runs within specs".

It's not conducive toward longevity. Just sayin. Only 7m for the 3? Now the 4th Gen might just put me on the iPad Train. Need to see a teardown first. Did you see Bob Mansfield's Ear to Ear Smile as the 4th Gen was shown? Be glad he still works at Apple.

crusadernm

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
For people that will buy the ipad mini. I feel in several months they will release ipad mini 2 with A6 or retina display. Then in another 6 months release ipad mini 3 with retina and a6 processor. :D

LS1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
If your definition of outdated means it's not the top of the line, newest possible product, then you will never be happy.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
Did you buy the iPad for the resale value or to actually get some use out of it? Because if you are buying for resale value (read investment) then you are buying for the wrong reasons.

If you had read beyond the first sentence of my previous post it would have probably made a lot more sense. An "investment" is a venture that you intend on making a profit from. Selling something that you bought and were not happy with is by no means and investment, nor was it my intention when I bought it.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Part of the reason I buy their stuff is because I feel like I'm buying a certain level of security on my investment.

There is your problem.
You are not making an "investment" you are purchasing a tool.

The tool you purchased is just does exactly what it did when you purchased it and the tool is still just as capable of completing the job.

iPads are not investments. I don't know how many times I have to say that.
iPads are tools designed to assist in tasks.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
My two cents is that I think Apple is going to try and unify the release cycle of the full-size and mini iPad. And instead of, say, updating the mini in April and therefore already depreciating the value of a brand-new line of products, Apple CAN manage to prematurely release a product that's already three generations in, and then go back to the once-a-year cycle. This is assuming that Apple won't release the new full-size iPad until later next year and follow the October trend.

Which, I don't see happening either.

You know, it's all confusing honestly :confused:

nascimento

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
There is your problem.
You are not making an "investment" you are purchasing a tool.

The tool you purchased is just does exactly what it did when you purchased it and the tool is still just as capable of completing the job.

iPads are not investments. I don't know how many times I have to say that.
iPads are tools designed to assist in tasks.

An Ipad is not a tool. Its a luxury item totally superfluous. When you buy something thats supposed to be top of the line you have some expectations...one of which is the novelty/exclusivity. Apple exploits this a lot so when the client buys this item he/she expects to enjoy this "life cycle" period to its fullest. When it is cut short and discarded by the manufacturer people will not be happy at all, and rightly so.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
As I've posted on the other topic, if you're within the 30 days window which Apple Retail Stores are offering but you got it from a reseller instead, it's worth it to have a word with the manager of the store you got it from. Be polite, explain the situation carefully AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, spend some time looking for screen issues such as dead pixels, light leaks etc.

I got my iPad 3 28 days ago from an authorized reseller, noticed all of the above flaws but since they didn't impair the user experience in a severe way (of course dead pixels are annoying as ****, but if you don't think too much about it it helps), I thought I should keep it and only return it when the warranty was about to expire.
I've just been back from the reseller, explained what was happening with the retail stores, the complete nuking of the 3rd generation device, plus the manufacturing problems. He was extremely friendly and gave me a full refund. He said he wasn't sure he'd get the 4 on Nov 2nd and I'm leaving this place on the 5th, but I told him that I'd give him a call and check if they had it before I leave and that I'd buy it from them if they had it.
Bottom line: standing your ground in a polite way gets you places. Acting like a spoiled brat because you don't have the hottest toy anymore, doesn't.

oklaonion

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I truly am sorry for people who feel anger about a new product release. Imagine that the iPad 4 doesn't exist - is your iPad 3 that bad?

Be careful what you put your hope in.

Deovann07

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have an iPad 3. To all those moaning about the new one; remember you don't have to buy it.

People nowadays updating themselves for what's new in technology, especially iPads :apple:

According to some rich people " Life goes Easier in the way you wanted if there's technology" :D

Now I will try to buy Gen of iPad to try if it's true :) Nice features though

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
There is your problem.
You are not making an "investment" you are purchasing a tool. I don't know how many times I have to say that.

And I don't know how many times I need to tell people that the problem is NOT that "It still does the same thing it did yesterday! It's not suddenly broken, is it? blah blah blah."

Of *course* it still works. I'm not a complete idiot, and there's no need to point these things out.

Now that that's out of the way... it depends on how you view "investment". If you mean that I think it's going to appreciate, then no, I don't think that. If you mean that my ROI = what I bought it thinking it would do (which I think is your intent) then you are right. It does what I thought it'd do when I bought it. It is no more or less than it was.

The thing that irks me is that when I say "investment" I count on the product having a certain longevity where the manufacturer is concerned. Apple has obliterated the product completely from its offerings. It doesn't exist anymore, and for a thousand dollar investment, or tool, or whatever you want to call it, that's unreasonable and frankly unacceptable.

No, they didn't say that they wouldn't support it, and yes, it will run software going forward for a reasonable time. The thing that gets me is that Apple hasn't traditionally done this, and that's part of the reason I invest in them. I like that I can count on things lasting at least a year.

AND as much as all you folks like to point out the obvious fact that Apple is a company and therefore in it to make money, I have not, before this, felt like they didn't care at all for the people making them all this money. It's happening with greater frequency. I've said it before. Airplay video mirroring doesn't work on machines less than 2 years old, flagship products get obsoleted and removed from stock 7 months after release, you can BET the iPad Mini will have an IZGO retina display in under a year.

I'm saying that Apple's biting the hand that feeds it. I'm going to think twice before investing again. Apple should know that. I cannot be the only (now ex) early adopter. They burned millions of faithful customers. I won't say I'm not upset, and I won't buy that I have no reason to be miffed, even if the iPad 3 DOES still work.

/off my soap box for good now.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
The thing that irks me is that when I say "investment" I count on the product having a certain longevity where the manufacturer is concerned. Apple has obliterated the product completely from its offerings. It doesn't exist anymore, and for a thousand dollar investment, or tool, or whatever you want to call it, that's unreasonable and frankly unacceptable.

As you said, it still works for what you bought it for, so what does it matter that Apple no longer offers the same iPad? Why do you care? How does it in any way affect your ability to use your iPad? The longevity of your iPad's use is not diminished.

You don't have to buy the new one. You can still use yours. None of the things you mention affect its usefulness to you in any way. All I read in your posts on the matter is that you don't like that they updated it too soon. Big deal.

Use yours. Enjoy it. Buy a new one when you feel like it.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
And I don't know how many times I need to tell people that the problem is NOT that "It still does the same thing it did yesterday! It's not suddenly broken, is it? blah blah blah."

Of *course* it still works. I'm not a complete idiot, and there's no need to point these things out.

Now that that's out of the way... it depends on how you view "investment". If you mean that I think it's going to appreciate, then no, I don't think that. If you mean that my ROI = what I bought it thinking it would do (which I think is your intent) then you are right. It does what I thought it'd do when I bought it. It is no more or less than it was.

No, they didn't say that they wouldn't support it, and yes, it will run software going forward for a reasonable time. The thing that gets me is that Apple hasn't traditionally done this, and that's part of the reason I invest in them. I like that I can count on things lasting at least a year.

AND as much as all you folks like to point out the obvious fact that Apple is a company and therefore in it to make money, I have not, before this, felt like they didn't care at all for the people making them all this money. It's happening with greater frequency. I've said it before. Airplay video mirroring doesn't work on machines less than 2 years old, flagship products get obsoleted and removed from stock 7 months after release, you can BET the iPad Mini will have an IZGO retina display in under a year.

I'm saying that Apple's biting the hand that feeds it. I'm going to think twice before investing again. Apple should know that. I cannot be the only (now ex) early adopter. They burned millions of faithful customers. I won't say I'm not upset, and I won't buy that I have no reason to be miffed, even if the iPad 3 DOES still work.

/off my soap box for good now.

Apple still sells the iPhone 4 with the A4 chip and the iPhone 4s with the A5 chip.

Apple also just release a brand new product with the A5 chip.

The iPad 3 has the A5X chip.

So if they are still selling A4 products and released a brand new product with a "lower quality" chip, then what makes you think that Apple will stop supporting the iPad V3 any time soon?

People need to take a step back from the cliff and apply some logic to the situation. Your iPad will be supported as long as the iPad Mini THEY JUST RELEASED is supported.

Hell, the freaken iPhone 3GS got iOS 6 and that thing came out 3 years ago with iOS 3.

People get pissy with the "one off" exception like the iPad 1 and iOS6.
The iPad v4 is clearly a "one off" because Apple needed to get lightning into it before the holiday quarter.
It probably ended up being cost effective for them to discontinue the A5X and just product A6* CPUs.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
So is the current iPad 3 going down $100 or are they the same price? I'd pick up a 3 if cheaper. I have too many old connector attachments to deal with lightening.
I just sold my iPad 2 for a Note 10.1 that I am thinking I should take back.

Patof

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
It's a name problem

Apple deberately missguided us by calling the ipad3 the new ipad. People assume that the new iPad was the 3 generation but it wasn't, They should called it iPad 2 gs or something like that.

They probably figure that when lunching the newipad by not giving up the iPad 3 name. Them knew all along what was coming in 6 mounth I imagine the executive meeting at Apple :

The boss : " Now it's tlme to pick a name for the new iPad"
Employe : : " We will leave it as the new ipad so people will rename for us even if it's only a upgrade iPad 2. So that way we will sale more during the 6 month cause otherwise, they will save their money for the real next generation Of iPad."
The boss : " you've got yourself a promotion son!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.