Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/xmacminiserver.html

Insert PCIe Dual or Quad ethernet port (plus a fiber channel or whatever card) and you have a worthwhile server for halve the price of the original.

So, at least in theory, one could add a graphics card with Sonnet's Expansion Chassis? Didn't find anything about the support in their web site though.

EDIT: Seems like it is possible, but because of the lack of drivers, it currently works only in Windows: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4464374?tstart=0 - but I'm sure we will see things like that in the future. Maybe an external GPU embedded in the Thunderbolt Display?

Last edited:

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
Anyone going to use the new Mac mini to build a render farm? Looking for some tips... I.e. is CPU the most important variable?

Depends what you're using. A lot of 3D programs still use the cpu exclusively. Other programs like After Effects are hardware accelerated and can use things like nvidia cuda cores to render. Premiere also uses the cards for certain plug-ins and effects that can take advantage of them. It all depends. Ask over at the Adobe->Premiere->Hardware forums. I'm sure they can set you straight, just make sure to tell them what programs you use and are inquiring about.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I didn't find any need to replace my Core2 Duo 2.4GHz, 4GB Mini. I use it mainly for playing digital TV through an USB2 AverTV adapter and browsing the internet with an always-on-top tv window. Sometimes, I use it to edit RAW pictures with Gimp.

I'm glad Apple always provides updated hardware every year for new customers, but I expect upgrading my Mini around 2014 or 2015. Maybe a 256GB SSD when if it gets cheaper and an external firewire 800 HDD and it's ready for being my home server for years.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I'm thinking the 2.6Ghz quad is in my future. I don't really need a laptop as much anymore, with the iPad, and I've got a 24" Samsung LED LCD that I'm quite fond of.

I did the same thing, had a 08 15" MBP. I only used it with an external monitor, since I had the iPad. Took it to bestbuy, they gave me $800 for it last year. and bought a mac mini.

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
Apple should have a desktop computer in between the Mini and the Mac Pro. Something that's easy to upgrade, fits multiple hard drives and SSDs, and has a dedicated video card, perhaps even a PCI slot. The Mac Pro is too extreme, and the iMac is hard to service. At least the Fusion Drive should come with a 256GB SSD.

The Mini is a nice computer to carry between work and home. Assuming you already have a set of monitors, and you aren't using the machine on a train or something. I hardly ever use my MacBook Pro's internal display, keyboard and touch pad. It's always closed down. The new Mac Mini would be nice with a dedicated video card. It would fit comfortably in my backpack.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Between this and the iMac, the only pros that need the Mac Pro have been dwindled down to maybe 750-1000 potential customers possibly?

Is that a joke? Or are you talking about daily sales of the Mac Pro if Apple offered a nice update with all the current best components. If you are talking daily sales, that might be the right number.

h0mi

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
I was planning on buying the low end mac mini, throw in 16 gb of ram and have this as my HTPC, desktop replacement until I can finally buy the iMac I've wanted. But that quad core cpu is tempting.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Considering the price gap between the 6,2 and the 6,3, the only differences I can see are OS X Server and an extra HD. I don't need OS X Server, but I could do with the two hard drives.

I'm guessing it'll still be possible to upgrade the 6,2 with an iFixit kit to the hardware spec of the 6,3 and save about a ton in the process...

ezdz

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
Apple should have a desktop computer in between the Mini and the Mac Pro. Something that's easy to upgrade, fits multiple hard drives and SSDs, and has a dedicated video card, perhaps even a PCI slot. The Mac Pro is too extreme, and the iMac is hard to service. At least the Fusion Drive should come with a 256GB SSD.

The Mini is a nice computer to carry between work and home. Assuming you already have a set of monitors, and you aren't using the machine on a train or something. I hardly ever use my MacBook Pro's internal display, keyboard and touch pad. It's always closed down. The new Mac Mini would be nice with a dedicated video card. It would fit comfortably in my backpack.

Exactly... I don't get why they can't just take the same guts as the imac and put it in the mini, especially the gpu. The new imac looks great, but I already have a monitor.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010

That has been my wish for so long. We don't live in the international space station and we can afford to have bigger boxes on our computer table.

Lets called it a Mac Macro, which is 4 mini's stacked on top of the other with removable hard drive, dedicated video card, 4 slots of memory and quad core CPU. I would plunk down 800 bucks for a 27 inch Samsung monitor and buy it in a heart beat.

Sep 10, 2012
I would have considered a Mini over an iMac but they didn't update the 27" displays?

Not shelling out that much money on a display with USB 2 ports, and I'd want to keep the set-up all Apple ...

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if the display was updated around about the same time as the new 27" iMacs are released.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
meet the all new Mac Pro: the Mac mini. (???)

I wouldn't be surprised if they merged the Mac Pro and Mac Mini into one all new design next year, probably based on the Mac Mini's small form factor but with a range of build to order customisable options for power users.

They could even have a series of pre-customised models: perfect for gamers option (obviously with a much better GPU), perfect for video editing, perfect for everyday use, etc.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I did the same thing, had a 08 15" MBP. I only used it with an external monitor, since I had the iPad. Took it to bestbuy, they gave me $800 for it last year. and bought a mac mini.

Yeah I just sold my MBP 13 from 2009 for $700, so for an extra $100 I could get the quad. I might spring for the 2.6Ghz, and then get an SSD and 16GB ram kit from OWC. I love their stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.