Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Disappointed the low end is only dual and not quad. So they only raised the ram to 4 and Ghz by .3

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if they merged the Mac Pro and Mac Mini into one all new design next year, probably based on the Mac Mini's small form factor but with a range of build to order customisable options for power users.

They could even have a series of pre-customised models: perfect for gamers option (obviously with a much better GPU), perfect for video editing, perfect for everyday use, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Shuttle-sized box with a little more expandability than the Mini, but not the behemoth of the Pro.

----------

Disappointed the low end is only dual and not quad. So they only raised the ram to 4 and Ghz by .3

And added USB3, which is significant.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
My 2010 27" iMac i3 is starting to show its age. I bought the vega mount and mounted it on the wall. Now I'm gonna pick up the 2.6 Mac mini and toggle between the two (command f2).

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Don't insult us with Xserves and say that the two are comparable. Does the new Mac Mini support ethernet bonding? oh wait, it only has one ethernet port.

I hate it when they compare completely different machines solely on raw benchmarks.

I think it is a little silly to be so amazed over 8 GB SO-DIMMs.

It seems weird to read that in an article. It's more like a comment I'd expect from someone old who remembers memory that was measured in KB, although given that notebooks have been able to use 8 for several years, this really shouldn't be a huge surprise.

Thunderbolt to Ethernet dongle + built in Ethernet
Thunderbolt Display with Ethernet + built in Ethernet
USB3.0 to Ethernet dongle + built in Ethernet

I'd say that's three ways (two fairly cheap) to get two GB Ethernet ports on the Mac Mini wouldn't you?

That would net you two ethernet ports, but I don't know whether it's actually supported with the use of dongles. This would also leave you with just hdmi for your display.

Apple should have a desktop computer in between the Mini and the Mac Pro. Something that's easy to upgrade, fits multiple hard drives and SSDs, and has a dedicated video card, perhaps even a PCI slot. The Mac Pro is too extreme, and the iMac is hard to service. At least the Fusion Drive should come with a 256GB SSD.

The Mini is a nice computer to carry between work and home. Assuming you already have a set of monitors, and you aren't using the machine on a train or something. I hardly ever use my MacBook Pro's internal display, keyboard and touch pad. It's always closed down. The new Mac Mini would be nice with a dedicated video card. It would fit comfortably in my backpack.

I don't see the entry mac pro as that extreme. Many people view it that way due to the price and size. Its volume is a bit bigger than many comparable workstations with similar features. The ones that are close in size typically house more than what is contained in a mac pro. The outer case structure was really designed for the G5. If it was designed for one of these Xeons, it wouldn't have been dramatically smaller. I just do not think it would have been exactly what it is today. The entry level hardware isn't that great. The 27" imac in its top configurations uses a cpu that is roughly comparable in cost to what you have in the entry mac pro, and they do this with a display attached for several hundred less.

Last edited:

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I thought I was crazy buying a Mini just before the expected update, but if I'm reading these specs right I didn't miss much.

I got the entry-level one with 2.3 GHz and 2GB RAM (I just use it as a basic media center anyway). Replaced the RAM with 4GB. Apple increased the price of the entry-level model in my country with the same amount it cost me to buy the RAM, so it looks like all I missed is the .2 GHz speed bump...?

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
I think they should bring back the cube. (with a 2012 design), that woud give them lots of room, and I really don't care if it's a bit bigger.

Also, they could move the PSU back to being external, that would give them more room, and have one less heat making component inside.

I'd be down for that. Ive does amazing work even with limiting himself with the forms he wants. If he could burst past that in his mind, then my god, talk about killer machines all around. Even something the size of an HP slimline or a mid tower of course would be killer.

Wish in one hand crap in the other phrase comes to mind though :(

Last edited by a moderator:

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I absolutely love my 2010 mini and would love to replace it with the quad core version.

The mini has really become a nice little machine for everything from home theater use to graphic design to mini server use.

Between this and the iMac, the only pros that need the Mac Pro have been dwindled down to maybe 750-1000 potential customers possibly?

Ignorance is bliss I see. Sorry, but with FCP X's latest upgrade it's quite clear the Mac Pro arriving will be thee box to buy for one looking to work and I mean do serious work.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
2012 MMS
85% the geek bench score of the 2010 Westmere Mac Pro 6 core....
33% of the price....

Wonderful!

How are you figuring that? The retina 2.7 i7 quad core of rMBP is only 82% of the westmere 6-core speeds, and yet this mini, which has a slower processor is 85%? It's still a mobile processor, it's actually just an entry-level macbook pro. Same memory specs, same graphics chip, but slower processor. I've tried the Retina and it does not compare to the mac pro.. They are getting close, but not quite there.

----------

I absolutely love my 2010 mini and would love to replace it with the quad core version.

The mini has really become a nice little machine for everything from home theater use to graphic design to mini server use.

Between this and the iMac, the only pros that need the Mac Pro have been dwindled down to maybe 750-1000 potential customers possibly?

1001. Just ordered a mac pro 6-core westmere because the Macbook Pro Retina just doesn't cut it for what I need to use it for.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
This is Pretty nuts... Almost the same as my 8-core mac pro 2008

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1121514

But I have 22gb Ram and could go to 48... yes i do need it! After effects and 3d packages use loads.

And a 2gb 285GTX ( ebay hacked version - works great for cuda )

C'mon Apple - I know you are not designing the iPhone and iPads on a Mac mini or iMac!

Get that proper macPro out already... if a mini is hitting 11, by rights a mac pro should be hitting 40+ and the 2012 is 24-25 on Geekbench.

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
Mac Mini is a god send of Macs. It's simply so useful to people that want a Mac, have dished out their money many times before.. but now simply want a modern Macintosh. The iMac however has a golden dollar chain round it's 'Chin' because consumer or not, it's a bloody rip off!

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004

How many copies of Final Cut Pro are there out in the wild? Many Millions at very least. Logic Pro also. I'd say about 90% of them would buy a new killer Mac Pro if it was available. I know because I'm one of those.
Can't give an exact figure on sales but it would be in the Billions of dollars.

Last edited:

USB123

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
Mac Mini is a god send of Macs. It's simply so useful to people that want a Mac, have dished out their money many times before.. but now simply want a modern Macintosh. The iMac however has a golden dollar chain round it's 'Chin' because consumer or not, it's a bloody rip off!

Very well said! I will be getting a Mac Mini, not sure which chip though. Anything is better than my Pentium 4, 3.4GHz 0.99 GB of RAM 75GB HDD Dell Optiplex from 2005 (I got it second-hand)! I had a HP Pavilion laptop too, but the GPU and motherboard crapped out.
The Mac Mini is a fine machine though.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Just wished they put good graphics chipsets inside these things. The mini being the faceless iMac, it should at least be available with an nVidia GPU in the higher end models.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Reminds me of a quote I overheard 25 years ago. Company director was conducting a tour and pointing out one of the "new" VMS workstations (about twice the size of a Mac Pro). "The amazing thing is that is a 1 MIPS machine! It's incredible!"

Plus ça change...

Haha, remember the Virginia Tech Big Mac? With the PMG5s it could pull around 7 tera flops. I think you could get that out of a handful (max) towers with nvidia cards these days. Then again, that's speculation off the back of a napkin (slightly educated speculation), and I am too lazy to dig up the info to back this up :)

Since the top supercomputers are producing tens of petaFLOPS in performance now, this wouldn't surprise me.

Amusingly, since tablets use purpose-built CPUs they still have a ways to go in catching up. :) Linpack performance on the G4 was a lot higher than an iPad, but yea.. that's like using a hammer to drive screws into a wall. XD

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007

Exactly why I am getting one! Sick of having the HD die in my 1st gen Aluminum iMac and not having the ability to upgrade it easily myself.

One big question I have on the benchmarks, I see that the mid level i7 really easily beats the base i5. But does that really make a difference for the daily tasks of the average user (basic iPhoto loading, iTunes arranging, web) or does it only help the graphics intensive users and VM folks? I am almost considering the i7 but for my basic needs I assume it will be like having a Ferrari driving in a school zone...

papo2

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I'm looking to buy the 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac Mini.

Main uses are going to be for encoding movies and also as a HTPC.

Since the Mac Mini lost the discrete graphics card, will this affect me much for what I am needing for?

From my understanding, the encoding process strictly uses CPU resources and not GPU. Is this correct?

Anyone?

thestickman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Looking forward to working in Logic & Pro Tools with the new 2.3 i7 Mini...hopefully starting tomorrow. Ram will be upgraded & next year when prices are down a bit more a SSD will be added internally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.