Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
WTF is up with the 2012 6,1 model? Was that just a failed product? It's slower than the previous model by a lot...

----------

Don't insult us with Xserves and say that the two are comparable. Does the new Mac Mini support ethernet bonding? oh wait, it only has one ethernet port.

They are comparable. The Mac mini makes a decent server, especially because it has no dedicated GPU to increase the price with no benefit for server usage. Thunderbolt allows for extra ethernet port(s?).

----------

... when you don't buy it from Apple ;)

Yeah, Apple really gouges you for the RAM. What a ripoff. And that's one of the reasons why I'd be least likely to buy a MBPR.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
So if the Mac Mini can be configured with 16GB of RAM then why can't the 13" rMBP have this much RAM too?

At least the RAM in the Mac Mini is upgradeable. The rMBP memory cannot be upgraded later.

JonG76

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Possibly switching to mini from iMac

While I was originally planning to replace my 2006 iMac with the new low-end iMac before it was announced, I'm thinking the new Mac mini may actually be the better system for me.

I typically like to max out my RAM, and the entry-level iMac has no user accessible memory (not interested in paying Apple markup for RAM.) In addition, the $100 price increase and elimination of the optical drive further diminished the overall appeal of the iMac for me.

I'm leaning toward the Core i7 configuration of the Mac mini with the Fusion Drive. I'll buy a $50 external DVD drive for occasionally archiving video projects. I just hope that with the Ivy Bridge integrated graphics on the mini, I won't be regretting this decision after a couple of years and a few Mac OS upgrades.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
I wanted to know whether or not Fusion Drive required a new build of OS X. Looks like it does. 10.8.2 12B2080.

Almost certainly. It is not entirely clear to me whether there are two separate physical drives which are seen as a single virtual drive or whether the SSD is merely non-volatile cache, but there was discussion about moving the most frequently used data, apps and so on to the SSD so there has to be some sort of software to manage this. The laptop hybrid drives which have been for some time used rather smaller SSD caches and, of necessity, juggled things around because of the limited capacity of the SSD.

It appears that the fusiondrive interface is SATA, which is unfortunate as this is a missed opportunity for Apple to use a PCIe controller (not merely a SATA controller on a PCIe connection) which would really shake things upl That would be "speed to burn".

johnmarshall4

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
HDMI Support > 1920x1200?

I was really hoping for two thunderbolt ports. I wonder if the HDMI port will be able to output 2560x1440 using SwitchResX. People claimed the older Minis would do that, though I never had the chance to see it in person.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Just wished they put good graphics chipsets inside these things. The mini being the faceless iMac, it should at least be available with an nVidia GPU in the higher end models.

Agreed. Otherwise I love this.

NocturnalEdit

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Mac Mini probably cost $5-10 a month to own...

Ignorance is bliss I see. Sorry, but with FCP X's latest upgrade it's quite clear the Mac Pro arriving will be thee box to buy for one looking to work and I mean do serious work.

yeah, and in 3-6 months or so when the Mac Pros are released... They will probably start around $2500-$3000... for base model.

Meanwhile i can buy a Mac Mini now for $800 and get some work done now. Then I can sell it on EBAY for $750 when I want to shell out money for a new Mac Pro....

Mac Mini's hold their value incredibly well.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
WTF is up with the 2012 6,1 model? Was that just a failed product? It's slower than the previous model by a lot...

There are two entries for 2011. Compared to the one on the left... I'm guessing the entry level model... it actually appears slightly better.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I was really hoping for two thunderbolt ports. I wonder if the HDMI port will be able to output 2560x1440 using SwitchResX. People claimed the older Minis would do that, though I never had the chance to see it in person.

Hdmi should be able o display Anything that a dual link dvi can unless you're using a dvi to hdmi adapter.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
They should switch this system up... either it needs a dedicated GPU or they should switch it to ARM SOCs (multiple) to make a little workhorse.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
I used to buy Mac Mini's at home for my kids. They would do homework and play Warcraft III and other games. But since they have moved to strictly onboard Intel video crap.... no more Mac Mini's for our home.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
I'm going to upgrade my Early 2005 G4 Mac mini to the new US$799 model.

Looks like it will be a nice speed boost. :D

That said, other than support for the latest OS X versions, I have nothing at all to complain about with my G4 Mac mini. It's still working perfectly as a file server, TV recorder, mail server, usenet download box and webapp server. It's almost a shame to upgrade, there's nothing wrong with it.

USB123

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
Looking forward to getting one. Haven't properly used a Mac since about 2007 with the eMacs in university. Couldn't really afford one up until about now. It seems like a nice little machine.
But is the Mac Mini essentially a laptop-component computer? Does it have the longevity of an iMac?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I think for the prices apple charge for their macs, a ssd should come as standard across the board.

People are already bitching, whining, and complaining about the lack of a higher end GPU. The use of a standard magnetic media hard drive keeps the price down. SSD would would mean less storage and people would complain. They'd bitch about the increase in price because of it. It'd also mean less user upgradable options likely because they'd likely goto the kinda SSD they use in the MBA rather than a removable SSD drive like you see from third party makers.

Remember that the mini is a entry level machine. People want something that offers the lowest price and they don't want the fastest option. For 99% of those that are looking to buy this kinda machine, a standard hard drive gives them more than what they need without the extra expense and lower storage capacity that an SSD would offer.

yellowjacket

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2005
Shanghai
Upgrading from 1 HDD to 2

Considering the price gap between the 6,2 and the 6,3, the only differences I can see are OS X Server and an extra HD. I don't need OS X Server, but I could do with the two hard drives.

I'm guessing it'll still be possible to upgrade the 6,2 with an iFixit kit to the hardware spec of the 6,3 and save about a ton in the process...

So it's possible to DIY add another HDD to the 6,2? Is there another HDD connection available to do so? That would save quite some money if that's possible.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Almost certainly. It is not entirely clear to me whether there are two separate physical drives which are seen as a single virtual drive or whether the SSD is merely non-volatile cache, but there was discussion about moving the most frequently used data, apps and so on to the SSD so there has to be some sort of software to manage this. The laptop hybrid drives which have been for some time used rather smaller SSD caches and, of necessity, juggled things around because of the limited capacity of the SSD.

It appears that the fusiondrive interface is SATA, which is unfortunate as this is a missed opportunity for Apple to use a PCIe controller (not merely a SATA controller on a PCIe connection) which would really shake things upl That would be "speed to burn".

It's certainly appears to the user as a single drive.
Checkout the Ars Technica rundown on Fusion Drive:
http://arstechnica.com/information-...le-fusion-drive-wait-what-how-does-this-work/
and the Apple Support doc on the same:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

aberhow

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Considering the price gap between the 6,2 and the 6,3, the only differences I can see are OS X Server and an extra HD. I don't need OS X Server, but I could do with the two hard drives.

I'm guessing it'll still be possible to upgrade the 6,2 with an iFixit kit to the hardware spec of the 6,3 and save about a ton in the process...

So it's possible to DIY add another HDD to the 6,2? Is there another HDD connection available to do so? That would save quite some money if that's possible.

Sooo... difference between same spec mini and mini Server =~ $200

iFixit dual drive kit cost =~ $70
1TB 5400 RPM SATA drive =~ $100
Sweat equity to install without munging it up =~ $30

Sooo.... where is this mega-savings to make it worth DIY???

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Are people here over exaggerating about the lack of a gpu? I'm in the market for a new computer. $600 tops and most desktops I see don't have a gpu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.