Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mKizzo

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
The definition of "Pro" changes a lot at apple... :D Especially on the 13" model of the MBP :p
Nice machine though

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Terrible ad. It's like something Dell would run. Why doesn't Apple run the outstanding "iPad mini piano duet ad" instead? They need to advertise that product more anyways, since the high price tag is turning people off. But forget about the price... it's still a vastly superior ad.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
For the pro in all of us.

Unless you need a dedicated GPU, or quad core.

I wanted this computer so bad, but it looks like I'll be waiting for the (hopefully) vastly improved second generation.

----------

Terrible ad. It's like something Dell would run. Why doesn't Apple run the outstanding "iPad mini piano duet ad" instead? They need to advertise that product more anyways, since the high price tag is turning people off. But forget about the price... it's still a vastly superior ad.

Not enough explosions or space-age techno music for Dell.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
It comes off as being a bit stale/boring. Not that a commercial is going to sway my decision but it seems a little lazy for an Apple ad. Seems that we have seen this before several times.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
1700 for a machine that couldn't run a modern game at decent settings at 30 frames per second.....

----------

The top-of-the-line Air has been over $1699 for quite some time now.

I'm a proud owner of a 13" air.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have no idea how Apple is not ashamed to call it PRO.

How so? It has the same processor as the classic 13" Pro. The 13" has never had a discrete GPU, nor has it ever had a quad-core processor. The display is nice. I agree it is a bit pricey, but it is in line with the Air when you consider the full voltage processor and higher resolution IPS display.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
People, calm down with the "Pro" name. The model it will slowly replace was also called "Pro" and didn't have a quad-core GPU or discrete graphics either.

I agree that Apple should have kept the "MacBook" branding for the 13" MBP after 2008 though. It's just too late to switch back now without creating too much confusion.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
1700 for a machine that couldn't run a modern game at decent settings at 30 frames per second.....

----------

Nice :D

Proud owner of ultimate 11" road warrior here. I REALLY wanted to like the new 13" rMBP. Luckily for us, and my pocket, I don't even want it now :)

Sold my 15" rMBP and getting 27" iMac :cool:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The forgot this tagline.

Introducing the new 13" MacBook Pro.

With the stunning Retina display and underpowered hardware.

For the broke pocket in all of us.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
The top-of-the-line Air has been over $1699 for quite some time now.

The Air doesn't claim to be a pro machine. It's ultraportable and snappy. It's the perfect computer for people like me who need a decent machine that they'll be carrying around a lot. I hope that Apple puts the retina display in the Air next year.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

----------

I have an 11" Air that is $1749 and can't run a modern game at 30fps. I don't really care, since I don't game on my Mac.

If Apple made an 11" Retina Pro with similar at $1999 I'd be tempted. If I were still using the 13" Air I'd probably also be tempted. However, I'm not sure I want to go back to something heavier than 3 lbs right now.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I have no idea how Apple is not ashamed to call it PRO.

They've obviously lost touch. I mean exactly what does making the iMac thinner accomplish. The stand is the exact same size so its not saving any desk space. No one was asking for a thinner ,machine and its not even a portable machine so there absolutely no benefit to it. It also looks really awkward from the side. Not the three quarter view apple only shows on their website. The price also went up and they are now using cheap 5400rpm drives. There's no excuse. 7200rpm 2.5 inch drives are not some sort of hidden mystery. They are all over the place. Apple clearly has no interest in catering to professionals. They clearly emphasize form over function, now to a degree that goes beyond the benefits of a smaller form factor. Even more embarrassing is the fact that the Mac pro is coming up on 4 years without a real update.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Who would ever want a retina display in a machine that’s not for hardcore 3D gamers???

Oh, wait... a LOT of people...

(I’ll want that and I AM a 3D gamer! But I await the retina Air.)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The Air doesn't claim to be a pro machine. It's ultraportable and snappy. It's the perfect computer for people like me who need a decent machine that they'll be carrying around a lot. I hope that Apple puts the retina display in the Air next year.

It could be that Apple sees the Retina Display as something that makes it "Pro." The 13" rMBP is about 20% heavier than the 13" Air. My guess is that it will be at least 2 years before the Air gets a Retina Display. It requires too big a battery for an "Air" for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.