Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Yikes! That's one ugly m************... If you feel that's a better choice over the mini then you probably shouldn't be buying Macs.

I've been buying Macs for over a decade, I've also been buying PCs.

Looks are 100% irrelevant. And are meaningless to system performance and longevitiy.

Thats the issue with Apple these days, they sacrifice hardware health for form factors.

Why not make the mini slightly bigger and put real hardware in it? I'd have to see how hot this one gets, if my Imac is any indication.

----------

The CPU kinda suck though..

Hey, at least it can be upgraded easily.....so can the ram....and the video card....and the hard drive....in a Mac Mini, not so much the case.

I'll never understand the appeal of the Mac Mini, such a horrid little machine. If your gonna go Mac, work harder and buy a iMac. Or a MBA

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011

Looks are 100% irrelevant. And are meaningless to system performance and longevitiy.

Thats the issue with Apple these days, they sacrifice hardware health for form factors.

Why not make the mini slightly bigger and put real hardware in it? I'd have to see how hot this one gets, if my Imac is any indication.
But then it wouldn't be mini anymore. And to be honest, can't Apple use lower specs since they have their own OS vs Windows?

----------

----------

Hey, at least it can be upgraded easily.....so can the ram....and the video card....and the hard drive....in a Mac Mini, not so much the case.

I'll never understand the appeal of the Mac Mini, such a horrid little machine. If your gonna go Mac, work harder and buy a iMac. Or a MBA

I think the appeal is the price. IMacs start @ $999. I think Minis are great for App developers who want to work on iOS without spending a fortune.

anothermacman

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Beefed up mini is no mac pro

I bought a early 2009 Mac Pro 2.66 8 core today and it spanks that mac mini still. I compared it to a 2011 macbook air and memory bandwidth is slower on the mac pro compared to the macbook air.

The Mac Pro great for Handbrake conversions, a speed demon. On the other hand I'm keeping my 2011 mac mini with AMD radeon HD 6630M. It will last me into the future GPU wise. All I will have to do is up the memory to 16GB and maybe a SSD in the future.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
But then it wouldn't be mini anymore. And to be honest, can't Apple use lower specs since they have their own OS vs Windows

It could still be ' mini ', just make it a little bit thicker and put some real hardware.

And no, as far as I know, OSX isn't any less resource intensive than Windows 7 or 8.

I think the appeal is the price. IMacs start @ $999. I think Minis are great for App developers who want to work on iOS without spending a fortune.

Ehhh, just work harder :D

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
But then it wouldn't be mini anymore. And to be honest, can't Apple use lower specs since they have their own OS vs Windows?

----------

I think making it around the size of an HP slimline wouldn't be all that bad. We have one of those desks that are built into the wall in our kitchen with cabinets over the top so it's a tight space and that machine sits there just fine and has a small footprint. It's plastic though :eek: O my god!! been working great for five years now though.

I like the mini, but honestly PC makers tried those types of PC's and they failed, AIO's didn't do well either. Only Apple can sell those types of machines. I would be ecstatic if they had a tower like the XPS 8500. Guessing they would have to go belly up and OSX or whatever it is years from now would have to be set free, of course then it probably would lose it's appeal to a degree.

A company right in between what Apple,MS, and Dell does would be near perfect IMO. Make a lot of solid hardware for every section they could get in and selectively license out the OS maybe for hardware they don't make, like servers or something. I am not versed well on license stuff for an OS though so no clue on if that is possible.

I would dig it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
It could still be ' mini ', just make it a little bit thicker and put some real hardware.

And no, as far as I know, OSX isn't any less resource intensive than Windows 7 or 8.

Ehhh, just work harder :D

Damn it! I'm in school fulltime and work fulltime. I don't think I can go much harder without a heart attack! :p

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
I just hope that with the Ivy Bridge integrated graphics on the mini, I won't be regretting this decision after a couple of years and a few Mac OS upgrades.

If you do regret it, just buy one of these and put a high-end graphics card in it:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresschassis.html
or
http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt

Sure, they're pricey right now, but by the time you absolutely need the graphics capability, I'm sure external Thunderbolt graphics cards will be a commodity item.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I think making it around the size of an HP slimline wouldn't be all that bad. We have one of those desks that are built into the wall in our kitchen with cabinets over the top so it's a tight space and that machine sits there just fine and has a small footprint. It's plastic though :eek: O my god!! been working great for five years now though.

I like the mini, but honestly PC makers tried those types of PC's and they failed, AIO's didn't do well either. Only Apple can sell those types of machines. I would be ecstatic if they had a tower like the XPS 8500.

I would dig it though.

Something like this?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx

Super powerful for its size, upgradeable, real video card, which is also upgradeable, its all easily upgradeable, and STILL maintains a tiny footprint.

I'd be more attracted to the mini if it was something along those lines.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Something like this?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx

Super powerful for its size, upgradeable, real video card, which is also upgradeable, its all easily upgradeable, and STILL maintains a tiny footprint.

I'd be more attracted to the mini if it was something along those lines.

Yup that would be perfect IMO. Desktop CPU as well at the same price point of 799. And a 660m and more RAM. 7200 RPM hard drive as well. Only issue they have Mass Effect 3 showing there....that ending :( ugh! haha

ADD: Mini does have the i7 over it, but it is mobile so they probably are pretty even on CPU's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
This is very tempting but still to get the i7 with a few upgrades its getting close to 27" iMac money. Yes I know for that money you don't get the i7 on the iMac but still tempting if I didn't want a 27" Apple LCD.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
Nothing Mini There

Apparently, there's nothing mini about these Mac Minis. Awesome specs aboard.. the Ivy Bridget i7 and 1600MHz DDR3 will blow you away if you know what I mean.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Benchmarks approaching the 2010 mac pro? I'm assuming we're talking highest end mini and lowest end mac pro. Nonetheless, I'm impressed. Too bad it uses a laptop drive and integrated graphics, otherwise it might be a viable option.

Approaching a MP until you throw a task at it that requires a real GPU and a lot of RAM.

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Well, ALL computers have GPUs. The One in the Mac Mini just sucks. Integrated Garbage.

600 tops?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4959027&CatId=114

Here ya go, dedicated GPU.

Can I get a free lobotomy with that? ;-) I love my late 2009 mini with integrated graphics despite its deficiencies. Three years old and still working like a dream - well, after upgrade from 2GB to 8GB. mini is not just about specs, it's also about performance relative to size and aesthetics.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Sweet little machines. I run a Mac Mini server 2.0 quad core at home and another at my office. I don't use them as actual servers, but they sure make great little desktops with such a small footprint. I am going to skip this upgrade, because I don't think I'd see that much of a boost over the model I have since I did go server the last time. I also wanted dual hard drives which the primary drive was replaced with SSD's so these babies are fast.

I am glad to see the mid level model now is quad core too. The dedicated AMD graphics on the previous model really wasn't that great, so I think Apple made the right move. I don't play games on mine, but for the intensive graphics work that I do I've never had an issue with the intel graphics.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
No dedicated GPU? Intel has made great advices in graphics, but I think Apple is being overly optimistic by not offering a dedicated GPU in the mini.

These used to be great HTPCs.

troller

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Apple sells oveerpriced crappy hardware and all some of you can say is "work harder"? LOL :D

O fcourse I love the mini form factor, design etc. but pleaaassee don't tell me they can't put a really nice gpu in it...please don't.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Did they at least use a quieter fan on this one, like they did with the retina MBP? My mini is LOUD!

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the thermals in the 2011 mini were pretty much at their limit. Ivy Bridge chips run hotter than Sandy Bridge. It was probably more practical to cool a quad ivy than a dual ivy + discreet GPU.

ezatech

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
I very recently bought my parents the last generation Mac Mini. When I heard that a new version had been released I was a little annoyed. Now seeing this, it's a 'mini' spec bump.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I very recently bought my parents the last generation Mac Mini. When I heard that a new version had been released I was a little annoyed. Now seeing this, it's a 'mini' spec bump.

Unless you want USB 3 or the hybrid drive, it isn't that big. I guess that means we will be more impressed next time. ;)

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
No dedicated GPU = no buy

Agreed.

I don't really understand what they're thinking. Even a low- to mid-range graphics card would be preferable to what they have now and it couldn't affect the price that much. Hell, offer a low-end Mini with Intel graphics and a mid-range with a graphics card like they did with the last generation. I was hoping my next Mac would be a Mini but I wouldn't consider any of the new ones for the lack of a graphics card. The last generation seemed like it was finally getting into some interesting territory. As nice as I'm sure the new Minis are, the lack of graphics power seems like a significant step backward.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
No dedicated GPU? Intel has made great advices in graphics, but I think Apple is being overly optimistic by not offering a dedicated GPU in the mini.

The idea of Thunderbolt is that performance-oriented GPUs will become a peripheral item, swappable and upgradeable like any other external device. We're not quite there yet, with an external graphics chassis costing as much as the Mac mini itself, but within a year, prices will have dropped significantly.

These used to be great HTPCs.

I'm struggling to think how a dedicated GPU would improve HTPC performance. These will handle any video format available without missing a beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.