Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
They had to speed up the screen so you couldn't see the lag from the integrated graphics ;)

ok. i thought your were speculating that they sped up the video but the actual video is actually sped up as illustrated more clearly by the zippy hands. but, if you don't look at the hands, and just the screen of the notebook, which is what most people will notice more, the hd4000 is smoothly operating and navigating between pro video/graphic heavy apps like it's ms word.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
"For the Pro in all of us"? Meh. Tame.
Stir up some controversy, Apple!
Election coming up soon. How about this:

Make one "MacBook Pro 13". The Pro choice." ad, and run it on FOX.
Make one "MacBook Pro 13". For the Pro life." ad, and run it on NBC.

The bewildered political commentators and rabid pundits will be doing the advertising for you on all the other channels.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
For the pro in all of us.

Unless you need a dedicated GPU, or quad core.

I wanted this computer so bad, but it looks like I'll be waiting for the (hopefully) vastly improved second generation.

I doubt the next generation will have dedicated graphics. Apple is trying to push discrete graphics fairly strong, and eventually it will be able to keep up with dedicated but today they are weening us too soon. I don't really like the whole mindset Apple seems to have gotten however that customers should be treated as beta testers working out all the kinks. The non retina MBP 13" and MBA is fine for integrated graphics as long as you aren't a gamer, and it's actually better than what they used before that but I just can't see the retina doing well with that at all. And it's such an expensive computer it should have very good graphics performance.

But at least they didn't show it runing final cut in this ad, it couldn't even try to run final cut. If I use final cut for too long even on my very fast 15" retina mbp it begins to struggle.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
"For the Pro in all of us"?

apple probably means almost pro because one shouldn't edit and work with video using a 5400rpm hdd. and/or depending on review--an integrated gpu.

it's funny because last year, all their pro products had 5400rpm hdd as standard. yet, their iproducts like the imac had 7200rpm hdd standard. this year, tho, the upcoming new imac now only comes in 5400rpm variety with no knowledge yet if there is an option for a 7200rpm hdd and we know that apple already omitted the option for a 7200rpm hdd on the new 13" rmbp and new mac mini. just strange.

maybe that flood is the reason. or apple is thinking ahead for us. or being cheap. probably being cheap.

ezatech

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
When fanboys start complaining about Apple. You know something is not quite right behind closed doors. Yes, I'll pay a premium price for Apple products, I love them. But I think Apple are starting to raise the price bar a little too much for 'little' under the hood. No dedicated GPU on this 13inch macbook pro retina is a complete deal breaker for me!

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
When fanboys start complaining about Apple. You know something is not quite right behind closed doors. Yes, I'll pay a premium price for Apple products, I love them. But I think Apple are starting to raise the price bar a little too much for 'little' under the hood. No dedicated GPU on this 13inch macbook pro retina is a complete deal breaker for me!

well, mr. jobs is gone. surely something/someone is missing in that company.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
"For the Pro in all of us"?

apple probably means almost pro because one shouldn't edit and work with video using a 5400rpm hdd. and/or depending on review--an integrated gpu.

it's funny because last year, all their pro products had 5400rpm hdd as standard. yet, their iproducts like the imac had 7200rpm hdd standard. this year, tho, the upcoming new imac now only comes in 5400rpm variety with no knowledge yet if there is an option for a 7200rpm hdd and we know that apple already omitted the option for a 7200rpm hdd on the new 13" rmbp and new mac mini. just strange.

maybe that flood is the reason. or apple is thinking ahead for us. or being cheap. probably being cheap.

It's a bit like touting all the benefits of their new fusion drive, then forcing everyone to pay an extra $250 to upgrade from 5400rpm drives.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
It's a bit like touting all the benefits of their new fusion drive, then forcing everyone to pay an extra $250 to upgrade from 5400rpm drives.

is that where the 7200rpm hdd option go? at least, it was only $50 to go from 5400rpm to 7200rpm.

still an extra hdd in there somewhere, if i was configuring a computer right now, in which case, that extra 5400rpm stock drive can be use for backup or something. but then i would have to shell out more dough for an external case for it and yada yada yada.

fusion eh? so they are able to combine two into one? yummy. not.

fusion? the innovations seem less innovate-y.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
For starters, I think it looks nicer. Apple has always valued design. Plus, it is no secret that they want to eliminate the optical drive. I don't agree with John C. Dvorak often, but he's right with his column that Apple is the most fashionable tech company right now. That's probably why they attract premium prices. People buy Apple for the same reason they buy BMWs or Audis. However, a Mac, iPad, or iPhone is much more affordable.

----------

It is important to note that BMW and Audi typically offer higher performance than their competition while the same is not true for Apple compared to their competition with respect to Macs.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
Not sure if those complaining about hd4000 are pros (like photographers, those who edit hd video or high res pictures etc.) or gamers... The hd4000 on the cMBP 13 in. runs After Effects, Final Cut Pro X, Premier Pro and Photoshop smoothly. Will it not be as smooth anymore with the retina display :confused:

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Eh... It's just the same as the 15 inch commercial they made a few months ago... Nothing new.

...Which I think is cool. The original was a classy commercial, and this one is in the same vain. Much like many of the iPod commercials were the same (silhouettes on colors).

The voiceover also speaks to their target audience - "The pro in all of us". Presumably they are targeting people who want the flash drive, Retina display, and increase portability but for whom the 15" is a bit much physically and financially.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
When fanboys start complaining about Apple. You know something is not quite right behind closed doors.
As Steve Jobs said, brand strength and brand loyalty is all about trust. For better or worse, I trusted Steve... but after the latest Keynote, my gut says nope, I don't trust the current leadership.

They're sitting on top of the world and yet they act like they're desperate, with their relentless bragging and hyperbole. The cracks are starting to show. It starts with little choices here and there that seem off... the Genius ads that they quickly swept under the rug, the $329 iPad mini price tag... stuff that Jobs would've slept on and then returned the next morning and explained why it's a bad idea... and probably a few internal power struggles... and people who disagreed with Steve now having the freedom to do things their way... in 10 years' time, many a little will have made quite the mickle.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Not sure if those complaining about hd4000 are pros (like photographers, those who edit hd video or high res pictures etc.) or gamers... The hd4000 on the cMBP 13 in. runs After Effects, Final Cut Pro X, Premier Pro and Photoshop smoothly. Will it not be as smooth anymore with the retina display :confused:

The retina display has 4 times the pixels, so it has to do more work. You will see it struggling in some things. Consider the fact that if you don't run it at native resolution, it has to scale everything on the fly, for applications that don't support the retina display natively.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
The fact that they only have HD4000 graphics is a travesty.

I was disappointed as well when I heard that. But then I saw the Verge's hands-on and was pretty impressed. They ran a multitrack Garageband file, streamed a 1080p Iron Man 3 trailer, and panned around a 21 megapixel RAW photo in Aperture and it didn't even stutter.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3540614/13-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-hands-on

At the end of the day, I want smoothness, responsiveness and quickness - not specs. Then again, benchmarks put the 15-inch Retina (with quad-core processors and discrete GPU) at a 40-50% advantage quantitatively. I've got some hard soul-searching to do.

----------

Seriously? The 15" MBP Retina Ad was WAY BETTER! It made me actually want to buy one. This new one is ... meh - strange how to very similar ads can be so radically different. Maybe it's because one is for a crap-speced high priced machine. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmnlTUE8yQI

It was probably the epic music from the 15-inch's commercial.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
As Steve Jobs said, brand strength and brand loyalty is all about trust. For better or worse, I trusted Steve... but after the latest Keynote, my gut says nope, I don't trust the current leadership.

I think Gates said Apple only works with Jobs at the helm. I believe this will turn out to be true. The dude wasn't scared to go outside the box that's for sure. To have such limited choice and high prices that are static, everything really needs to be kept really tight, and he could crack the whip hard I am sure. Cook probably not and he is a normal thinking type guy which doesn't fit their unorthodox ways.

Forstall and Ive aren't the answers either. Jobs literally was defying logic for a long time. That is selling PC's at high prices, much higher than the competitors, never having to price drop after a product hadn't been refreshed, etc... the stuff the other guys have to do.

I stick with what Gates said if he did say it. It will only work with Jobs and he ain't around so the wheels could potentially come off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yinmay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Honestly, I don't see the point of the RMBP13 when you have the thinner and lighter Air or Quad core and 650M RMBP15.

Nor do I see the point of a thinner iMac, I mean... how light and thin does it need to be? It's not like people carry it around. I would have been much happier if they had managed to fit desktop-grade GPUs.

Or am I missing something?

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
1699 to start just for a retina display is BS! I have the 13 inch air with a 1440 by 900 display. All I need baby.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
"For the artist in all of us" isn't for artists.
"For the racing driver in all of us" isn't for racing drivers.
"For the child in all of us" isn't for children.
"For the pro in all of us" isn't for pros.

This is just... lame.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I agree the 13" is overpriced, but I couldn't care less that it has integrated graphics. It should just be cheaper. The vast majority of people don't need a dedicated GPU - including many of those complaining, I bet. If you really do need it, get the 15".

Also, why is anyone at all surprised by this? The 13" has NEVER been a Pro machine. There haven't been discrete graphics on the 13" since forever. Are you all new to Apple or something?

----------

I think Gates said Apple only works with Jobs at the helm. I believe this will turn out to be true. The dude wasn't scared to go outside the box that's for sure. To have such limited choice and high prices that are static, everything really needs to be kept really tight, and he could crack the whip hard I am sure. Cook probably not and he is a normal thinking type guy which doesn't fit their unorthodox ways.

Forstall and Ive aren't the answers either. Jobs literally was defying logic for a long time. That is selling PC's at high prices, much higher than the competitors, never having to price drop after a product hadn't been refreshed, etc... the stuff the other guys have to do.

I stick with what Gates said if he did say it. It will only work with Jobs and he ain't around so the wheels could potentially come off.

Lol.

Nothing has changed. They are following Steve's play book exactly. Were you all not paying attention during the last 5 years or something? Apple hardware has always been overpriced and underpowered. Despite that, it usually is much nicer to use and much nicer looking. Apple had also always crippled the 13" MBP, under the almighty Steve as well. Or did the 2009, 2010 and 2012 13" MBPs have discrete chips and I'm just forgetting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.