Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbarker0216

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I have the same problem too. Happened on my first iPhone 5 and now the replacement does the same thing too. I assume its a software issue, since it happens on both my device and a couple other friends'.

I had the flickering on my first iPhone 5, got my replacement and sure enough it did the same thing. But the pixels weren't as bad on this 2nd phone! Since it only happens during the downloads from App Store I figured I wouldn't worry about it until right before my warranty ends lol!

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Anyone still getting this problem on their 5? Mines been doing it a bit more the past couple days and after the "update" that was supposed to fix it.

guirios

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
I had the severe version of the flicker that affected the majority of the screen and wasn't limited to the App Store password screen. Sometimes mine would continue to flicker after it had been powered off and on.

The odd thing is that almost all of the flickering happened in the first hour or two of operation, and it gradually decreased in frequency. I haven't had any hint of the flicker since Saturday despite extensive usage.

I had been all set to demand a replacement, but now I am taking a wait and see approach. I figure that I will continue to monitor my phone and see if any new information comes to light on the root cause of the issue.

Did anyone else experience severe flicker right out of the box but then have it go away with a few hours of use?

Same thing happened here. I had de severe flickering for a few days and completely stopped. Actually I've saw the flickering on my testes for less than 1 second 2 or 3 times in almost 10 hours of use. Now I don't know if I send the iPhone back. Did it completely stop for you?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Reading this thread is frustrating as so many people with just the App Store keyboard glitch (now fixed) thought this was their issue. OP and a few posters were talking about something different.

To OP and co: where do you stand now? My new iPhone 5 has this issue and wondering if i'll need to send it back or wait out the 'burn in' period..?

Preed08

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
I was just getting on to post this. Was looking at my phone side by side next to a 4s, and the vertical lines are terrible. Makes the resolution look much lower than it is. Makes a flicker with certain images

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
For anyone else reading, I got my iPhone on the 28th Dec, noticed the issue on that and the following day, didn't see it on the 30th, but on the 31st it returned. I went to the Apple Store - it wasn't happening during my time there, however there was absolutely no problem getting a replacement. Only had new unit a few hours but no signs of issue (noticed on my last one during the set up phase!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.