Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Is there anyone here using a virgin mobile uk sim in their iphone 5? A few questions, how fast is the 3G typically and is the roaming between virgin and orange seamless?

I'm on three at the moment but their coverage is really poor. Virgin are offering unlimited data on 30 day contracts for a good price which has me tempted but I do like the fast 3G when three have signal!

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
UK
Is there anyone here using a virgin mobile uk sim in their iphone 5? A few questions, how fast is the 3G typically and is the roaming between virgin and orange seamless?

I'm on three at the moment but their coverage is really poor. Virgin are offering unlimited data on 30 day contracts for a good price which has me tempted but I do like the fast 3G when three have signal!

I'm using a 30 day rolling contract with unlimited data with a ZTE Kis, a second phone literally used for internet when I'm on the go. It is unlimited, allows tethering, no throttling and I average 6-7 MBPS wherever I go.

It's the best of all worlds, a small network so cheap prices, using the awesome which is T-Mobile plus Orange network.

I definitely recommend.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks DryEyez, appreciate your response.

I didn't expect many on here to be using vmob in the uk but its good to know your using them with positive results.

I think i'll ring three and request my PAC code, its only a 30 day rolling contract so no worries with changing but I am keeping my number!

Anyone else have any experience with virgin mobile uk? Wow had to word that last bit carefully ;)

sharelle

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I have used virgin with iphone 3gs, iphone 4 and now iphone 5

3g is brilliant always has been. Not to mention the great offers available.

I have 30 day contract £10 a month (£2 loyalty credit) usually £12

unlimited internet, unlimited texts, unlimited texts and calls to virgin phones, and 150 normal minutes

Also free tethering that i use with my macbook and ipad.

----------

My boyfriend uses virgin uk with his iphone 5 and also my mother uses virgin uk with her iphone 4.

No problems at all

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Well that is notice given to three and PAC code already arrived. Took 8 phone call to cancel a 30 day rolling sim only deal!

To try and keep me they offered:

£13 a month for their £26 deal
Free Samsung galaxy s3
Free home signal box

I left because of no coverage at home or work. Laughably they didn't want to lose a 'long time customer' (32 days) and could offer the above due to my 'loyalty over the last month'. Yes, actual quotes!

Virgin sim in post. Pay as you go initially to check coverage then I'll switch it to monthly.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I've used Virgin with my 3GS, 4S and now iPhone 5 on a rolling 30 day contract. Current download speeds at home are usually between 14-16 MBPS. I haven't tested many other places but at my sister's it is around 12 MBPS.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks Lyn, that sounds superb! I am just waiting on the sim card arriving now, PAYG initially to see what the service is like but ultimately i'll switch it to the rolling contract.

Thank you for the speeds, they sound very good!

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Just a quick update to this thread.

I joined virgin having left three at the end of October and have been using their pay as you go sim in my iphone 5 (cut to size fine!) ever since.

I've found the coverage very good to excellent, the phone switches between the two networks seamlessly as and when it deems one better than the other. At the moment it's using orange(as indicated by a lower case 'v' in the network name) and has full 3G strength.

Done some speed tests out an about the north east (Newcastle, South Shields, Sunderland) and have averaged over 10mb down, around 2 up. Certainly can't complain at that!

As for calls - to me the voice call clarity is far better than three could offer. I haven't missed any calls and have only dropped one when inside a store at the metro center with a weak 2g signal. Called the caller back and got straight through.

I'm going to switch to the £12 a month rolling deal which gives 150 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data once my pay as you go credit is exhausted (£5 for 1gb data which lasts 30 days) so that should see me through to Christmas.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
I'm on a virgin sim only deal in my iphone 5.

Had to cut the sim down to size and use the iphone configuration utility to make a profile otherwise MMS doesn't work. Internet worked at soon as I out the sim in though.

However, I have had issues . As mentioned in another thread, if I move from work to home or go out of out of signal then back into coverage, I sometimes find I have to toggle airplane mode before it will find signal again.

Other people on EE also have reported this issue with ios6 on iphone5/4s/4

Virgin uses EE as their provider so the issues seem to affect me too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.