Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arvacker

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
For the pro in all of us.

Unless you need a dedicated GPU, or quad core.

I wanted this computer so bad, but it looks like I'll be waiting for the (hopefully) vastly improved second generation.

I wanted this one too, but I'm hoping they'll give it a nice update alongside the 15" rMBP in April/May, I want to use a computer 3years before retiring it, but damn, my 15" mid 2010 is starting to show it's age...

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
The top-of-the-line Air has been over $1699 for quite some time now.

So? The BOTTOM of the line Air can run most modern games. There's certainly ZERO graphic advantage by going with the rMBP, which is a crap machine.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
After the initial wow factor of the way these things look I have to admit to being pretty disappointed by the 13" rMBP and the new iMac for that matter. This obsession with making everything wafer thin is really going too far and we are stating to end up with crippled devices because of it. In the 13" MBP they could have removed the optical drive made it a bit thinner and included a dedicate GPU but no it has to be made ultra thin which essentially makes it useless to anyone doing anything even slightly graphics intensive, we already have the Air for this. The iMac has been made thinner and lighter for what reason exactly. Again they could have removed the optical drive made it slightly thinner and used the extra space to include a proper desktop grade GPU instead of the laptop chip it has. In my opinion this is a pointless update of the iMac, it doesn't bring any benefit and doesn't even look that good from the side having an odd bulge in the back which is why they only showed a 3/4 view in the presentation. I just can't see where Apple are going with all of this, its irrational. I hope the mac pro isn't just as bizarre a set of design decisions when that appears next year.:confused:

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
Honestly, I don't see the point of the RMBP13 when you have the thinner and lighter Air or Quad core and 650M RMBP15.

Nor do I see the point of a thinner iMac, I mean... how light and thin does it need to be? It's not like people carry it around. I would have been much happier if they had managed to fit desktop-grade GPUs.

Or am I missing something?

there's windows :rolleyes:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
How so? It has the same processor as the classic 13" Pro. The 13" has never had a discrete GPU, nor has it ever had a quad-core processor. The display is nice. I agree it is a bit pricey, but it is in line with the Air when you consider the full voltage processor and higher resolution IPS display.

Realistically the 13" line is actually the MacBook - Apple simply slapped 'pro' on the MacBook line to boost sales and stick the price up.

When you compare the specs to the older Mac Books you see that they still follow the same trends when it comes to performance.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
I think the issue here seems to be that many are equating pro with meaning a film director. There are a lot of other "pro" users out there who access things like video and photos (like a social media consultant) who don't need a dedicated chip.

Now should a $1,700 laptop come with a dedicated card is a different question but to assume those who own a 13-inch MBP are somehow not pro users or that a "pro" user can't get by with a 13 MBP is a bit silly.

Agree!

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Right, because you cannot edit video or drive a couple of displays with the Intel 4000? :rolleyes: Let me guess, you are a "pro" gamer?

If you can update the CPU to an i7 quad core, that is all you really need.

But that's just it - you can't. Well unless you move up to the 15" which also mandatorily includes the integrated graphics that you just said you don't need.

No discrete graphics in the 13"? Fine, ok. No Q-core processor nor 16 GB RAM options? Ridiculous. An 11" air up-spec'd is just as capable, is 40% lighter, and lacks only the retina display. But, if you don't need the dedicated GPU as you say, then you all but certainly don't need the 200+ DPI screen either.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Right, because you have to have multiple monitors to be productive? You should be able to make due with the builtin display and possibly an external one.

The 13" has a native resolution of 2560 by 1600 normally in hiDPI retina mode but you can use a small tool called setres to change it to 1:1 pixel mode at that resolution and you can drive two additional displays in addition at that resolution which would be overkill. You were saying?

Realistically, you would either drive the internal display and one 27" display or close the lid on the laptop and drive two external monitors but one external monitor + the builtin should be more than enough for most use cases.

Most "Pro" users will be using at least 2 screens, it does increase productivity in a HUGE way. Obviously if you work out in the field you'll not have that luxury most of the time.

The Intel HD 4000 can drive 2 screens + the built in one, at least it can on the Air. However it's pushing a much large amount of pixels on the rMBP, and the 15" model has to switch to its dedicated gpu to do multiple displays. If the 15", a higher powered model has to switch to the GPU, I cant imagine performance on the 4000 will be good if you try to run the retina display plus another screen.

At a guess, I'd say if you try to run 2 screens from it, the retina display will switch off automatically. I could be wrong, but we wont know until someone tries hooking it up to two displays!

For what it's worth, I have a 2011 11" MacBook Air (base spec), which is only capable of powering 1 external display (Intel HD 3000). I dont use it much at all, but a few times I've had it hooked up to a display and tried out a few games on it (Civ 5, Portal 2, GTA IV, Mafia 2, Tropico 4, F1 2011) all of which worked fine.

People underrate the Air big time because people still have this stupid mentality of 'oh its only 1.7Ghz - thats slow'.

----------

Maybe the idea of a Retina display, is you wouldn't NEED multiple monitors.

Um...no. You clearly aren't a 'pro' user if thats what you think.

----------

MacBook Pro's were never advertised as gaming machines. Intel HD 4000 is a fairly decent shared GPU.

Has any Mac ever been advertised as a gaming machine? :p

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Doesn't Final Cut Pro require dedicated graphics to run? I'm pretty sure that was the reason it wouldn't work on an old Macbook of mine.

Also, if you're trying to run 3D graphics applications like Modo etc, you're going to want a dedicated card. I think even Photoshop makes use of OpenGL acceleration.

These are what I would call 'professional' applications. Perhaps Apple is talking about 'professional' bloggers or Facebook users :rolleyes:.

Hopefully Apple will read some of the comments being posted on these Macbook articles, because the lack of decent graphics in these laptops is the no. 1 topic of conversation on all the sites I've been on.

If they've got any sense, they will add dedicated graphics to next years model.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
ok. i thought your were speculating that they sped up the video but the actual video is actually sped up as illustrated more clearly by the zippy hands. but, if you don't look at the hands, and just the screen of the notebook, which is what most people will notice more, the hd4000 is smoothly operating and navigating between pro video/graphic heavy apps like it's ms word.

You do realise that its a computer generated shot dont you? The footage you see on the screen was probably never even on a Macbook Pro. It's pre-rendered content. There's no way in hell Apple would roll out an advert showing actual footage, complete with wrong keys being pressed and lagging of any kind.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
The pricing of the 13" rMBP doesn't seem to fit in the big scheme of things, when u consider the price of 13" MBA, 13" cMBP, 15" cMBP and 15" rMBP...

It just makes 13" rMBP the worst value you can get right now. Either get 13" MBA, or 15" c/rMBP if you need a dedicated video card/bigger screen.

Yes. And the death punch is that you can spec even the 11" Air to match the highest spec 13" Air. If you need portability go with the Air 11, if you need power, go with the Pro 15. If you are utterly confused about what you genuinely need, flounder about and choose one of those 13 inchers.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
bit of a pointless device to get specs wise unless u want a small laptop. for 100 more u can get the 15 and if u can afford the 13 then 100 more probably means nothin to u anyway ;)

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Yeah, the 13" unibody used to be called MacBook and was just a deluxe version of the plastic ones, they changed the name to MacBook Pro for uniformity more than anything else. If you're a creative pro working on that cramped little thing, congrats for having customers who are willing to pay for the extra hours you spend toggling tool panels and scrolling.

I did LOL.

That being said, if you are doing work like that without external monitors, even the 15" (or, really, a 17" too) is still holding you back.

An Air running two TB displays (lid closed to take as much burden off the graphics hardware as possible) is probably going to make you more productive than any similarly powered laptop with no external monitors, regardless or their built in screen size and resolution.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
It could be that Apple sees the Retina Display as something that makes it "Pro." The 13" rMBP is about 20% heavier than the 13" Air. My guess is that it will be at least 2 years before the Air gets a Retina Display. It requires too big a battery for an "Air" for now.

I think there's a strong chance the Air will get a retina display next year, it will all depend if Apple starts to roll out iGZO displays. If they do, I'd expect to see this technology in the 13" & 15" Pro's. There should be a significant boost in battery life for the two pro models when this happens.

They'll also update the iPad to iGZO next year too, and make it thinner.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Wonder when they will call it the iMac Pro.

They should start to take Pro from the MacPro line, the way its design is a compilation of the old interfaces.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Base model should have had retina display, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Quad-Core CPU and dedicated GPU. All for $1500. Then... it would been 'Pro'.

As it is now, it's just a failure that smells greed.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
It is as a previous poster said the worst value macbook, even in comparison to more expensive macbooks. The 13 rMBP represents the worst price/performance ratio.

BTW this macbook is not flying off the shelves. You can get it right now anywhere in the world.

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Think its bad value at $1699?

It costs the equivalent of $2335 in the UK.

WOW

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Realistically the 13" line is actually the MacBook - Apple simply slapped 'pro' on the MacBook line to boost sales and stick the price up.

That's not what happened. Apple introduced the Unibody MacBooks in 2008. These lacked Firewire. Steve Jobs said Firewire was unneeded for consumers and that if people wanted Firewire, they just had to get a Pro model.

People whined. June 2009 came, Apple caved. They put Firewire back on the Unibody MacBook. But. Since Steve had said Firewire was for Pros, they renamed the 13" to MacBook Pro.

It's all about Steve saving face about his Firewire comments. That's why the 13" is now a MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.