Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
I have the beta for 6 (I think) on my iMac, and 2.8.0.866 on my Macbook Air, and the UI for 2.8 is much much better (sits nicely in the corner of the screen).

Using 42MB here and it's been open for three days.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Can it 'startup in background' yet?

I never use skype as it pops up with a huge window every time my computer starts - really annoying for an occasional use application that requires being constantly logged in to be useful whatsoever. Apps like this should be as minimal and discreet as possible. If you have to turn it off then it becomes useless for calling people. I also notice that my friends list is nearly always offline, because they've had to come to the same solution - turn it off.

...It's a real shame as chat/cam software is really divided. Everyone uses something different. We could really do with a popular program that everybody uses. Skype was nearly it.

Silmarien

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Cant find the notifications menu eirther. Only the built in and Growl ones. Also the dealbreaker for me is that sharing a screen requires a premium account now(just like in windows). So can anyone tell me where to find a 2.8.x version?

bsforever

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2008
I just updated and then downgraded to the last stable version as it kept crashing on my rMBP. Despite a clean reboot and fresh reinstall twice. Pathetic.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Microsoft and Facebook Account Integration not yet for the iOS version

I wonder if there will be an update to the iOS Skype App that would support Microsoft and Facebook Account Integration.
At this point the desktop and mobile versions are out of sync feature-wise. :mad:

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
I wonder if there will be an update to the iOS Skype App that would support Microsoft and Facebook Account Integration.
At this point the desktop and mobile versions are out of sync feature-wise. :mad:

I've never been able to join a call (answer a call, yes, but not join a call) on Skype for iOS, so it's been out of sync for a while :(

I'm sure it will at least support Facebook, given that the API is very easy to use (even before iOS 6).

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Microsoft?

Did a miss something? How long as Microsoft had anything to do with Skype, besides the app running on their OS's?

Could explain why I haven't felt compelled to upgrade in a few years...

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
I'm using v5.3.0.1093. It's okay. One time I let it upgrade to a version beyond that, and discovered that it was infested with banner ads! So Time Machine to the rescue, and I'm not ever going to upgrade it again. And seriously, integrated facebook/skype logins? Yawn, no value added.

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Although I do like the new Skype 6 (minor) retina improvements, I'll admit it's an annoying and poorly designed application.

If, like me, you have Skype running during the day, at work, on your retina MBP, it forces you to use discrete graphics, which is incredibly annoying. Do you really need to use the discrete GPU just to keep an application running? I can understand it might be needed for the video calls, but why does it need discrete for keeping the app open in your dock?!

This would be the first priority for me - sort out the forced use of discrete graphics.

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Scrap the above. How embarrassing. It appears they've FIXED the discrete graphics issue with Skype 6. Only uses the integrated graphics when it's idle.

This was my number one concern. Sorted.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
1080p?

My parents and I use Skype to communicate. We both have 2012 Macs. We both use the Logitech c920 webcam which is capable of 1080p on Windows, but only 720p on Macs. Do any of you know if Skype 6 finally brings 1080p to Macs?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
As much as Skype sucks, we don't have any competition or any other choice for instant messaging and video chat. Apple's Messages only works on Macs and Apple products, so you can't talk with anyone on Windows (99% of my contacts are on Windows). MSN Messenger doesn't have video chat for Mac. Google + Hangouts require you to install a plugin, and you can't be always online unless you keep the browser window open all the time… accidentally closed the browser? Well no one can reach you now!

How come no one other than Skype ever made a decent video/chat client? I'm sure it's not that difficult, there's a bunch of stupid useless apps out there, devs should instead be focusing on something that the world needs: to allow people to communicate, which is still not always possible in freaking 2012.

Last edited:

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Does it still have that pig ugly, and oversized GUI ?
I am still on 2.something because of it.

The main UI is still there, but a few versions ago they did re-add the old smaller GUI as an option as well, so you can choose. Personally, I find the old smaller UI to be the pig ugly one, but I guess that's just down to taste isn't it :)

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I've never been able to join a call (answer a call, yes, but not join a call) on Skype for iOS, so it's been out of sync for a while :(

I'm sure it will at least support Facebook, given that the API is very easy to use (even before iOS 6).

I use Skype all the time and have barely any issues with both my Mac and iOS and the people using Windows at the other end.
I wonder if your problems are caused by your ISP instead.
That is, unless you are referring to Joining an audio or video chat already in progress, which I haven't tried; actually I did try want to do it once but it was unsupported.

I heard that the Oovoo app would let you do it, but then that's another app and messenger to have, sort of a pain.

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
Microsoft?

Did a miss something? How long as Microsoft had anything to do with Skype, besides the app running on their OS's?

Could explain why I haven't felt compelled to upgrade in a few years...

Microsoft bought Skype for 8 billion dollars if I recall correctly. I don't know who does the development now though

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
I use Skype all the time and have barely any issues with both my Mac and iOS and the people using Windows at the other end.
I wonder if your problems are caused by your ISP instead.
That is, unless you are referring to Joining an audio or video chat already in progress, which I haven't tried; actually I did try want to do it once but it was unsupported.

I heard that the Oovoo app would let you do it, but then that's another app and messenger to have, sort of a pain.

Oh yes, I do mean joining an active call, sorry. It always puzzles me because at least conceptually it's the same as answering a call, only there's no popup window, right?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Oh yes, I do mean joining an active call, sorry. It always puzzles me because at least conceptually it's the same as answering a call, only there's no popup window, right?

Yeah. Well, maybe in a newer update...
The Messenger integration is worthless if it doesn't work on my iOS devices, so I really hope for an update.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I see a couple of people mention notification center but like others I don't see anything for it. Has someone actually seen Skype do a notification center notification?

zapnyc

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
New York
OK so you don't like the interface?
I've never had a real problem with it. It gets the job done fine.

I travel the world, and only ONE video chat program works EVERY time...even in bizarrely firewalled hotels in Asia and low-bandwidth small-town hotels in Germany. In every hotel in the USA I stay.

Skype.

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
OK so you don't like the interface?
I've never had a real problem with it. It gets the job done fine.

I travel the world, and only ONE video chat program works EVERY time...even in bizarrely firewalled hotels in Asia and low-bandwidth small-town hotels in Germany. In every hotel in the USA I stay.

Skype.

You are correct. It works better than FaceTime for me and traverses firewalls well. The complaints are that it has regressed since version 2.8. I have used this version (2.8) in every place I have travelled and it works well. The newer versions offer no improvements in my scenario, use more resources and have a less useful UI.

If 2.8 disappeared tomorrow, I would use version 6 without hesitation though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.