Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Now that it's officially announced, thought it would be a good time to ask this. Do you think the iPhone 5 will support T-Mobile's LTE when it comes out?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Well since TMobile is inviting apple owners to switch to their unlimited LTE...I would say it would.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Probably will be compatible. It's compatible with LTE from just about every other carrier.

But remember T-Mobile is the only carrier in the world with a 1700mhz 3G band. Or that's what I heard.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
According to the CNET livestream the answer is no. But they did mention that the LTE is GSM backwards compatible with HSPA+ which T-Mobile supports so who knows.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Yes, in 2013. Right now, the refarming will give you HSPA+ speeds. So most cities should be running the iPhone at 3G+ by the end of the year.

omegle

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
The first GSM model of the iPhone 5 uses LTE band 4, which is 1700/2100 MHz, which conicedentally is also T-Mo's 4G HSPA+ band. If the iPhone can use that band to utilize HSPA+, then you can get T-Mo's 4G at full speed on the iPhone 5.

However, I'm not going to volunteer be the guinea pig to see whether this will work!

ceerod23

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
I might just be taking a leap of faith here but I think that T-mo will support the iPhone because they are inviting them into their network, also i believe they are training employees on how to support the device as well. they also have an App that lets users check their accounts for the iDevices

Apparently T-Mobile's LTE will be compatible with the iPhone 5.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/09/t-mo...upport-hopes-to-have-nano-sim-by-mid-october/

So by mid 2013 T-Mobile users will have LTE and HSPA+ capability on their iPhone 5's. Just won't have official support from Apple or T-Mobile yet though.

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
I don't know if you're talking about the UK or the US, but if you mean within the UK...

I work for EE (company that has formed from the merger with Orange/T-Mobile) and I can confirm that the iPhone 5 WILL work on the EE (T-Mobile).

T-Moible customers should start seeing "EE" instead of T-Mobile...Orange now.

Sorry if you mean the US though.

bullet91

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
Yes but only the AT&T version due to it supporting the LTE band I (2100mhz) which t-mobile will use for LTE in late spring or early summer

Cebuano1976

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona
25 (1900 MHz) for Verizon

In fact, we’re already starting to turn up 4G HSPA+ service in our 1900 MHz spectrum. With sites already live in cities like Seattle, Las Vegas, Washington DC and the New York metro area, don’t be surprised to hear reports of iPhone “speed sightings.” - T-Mobile

Yes. iPhone 5 will be compatible with T-Mobile's LTE.

victorbd

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
T-Mobile LTE will be deployed on the very same bands than AT&T.

Their LTE will be deployed on 1700/2100mhz bands, which means band 4 (AWS). So, if you buy an AT&T iPhone, it will be able to get LTE on T-Mobile including Canadian carriers like Rogers Wireless, Bell, Telus. MetroPCS is also on the band 1700/2100.

It will gradually replace the HSPA+ that is installed on those bands.

Last edited:

Cebuano1976

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona
Model A1428 (GSM model) United States AT&T
4 (AWS)
17 (700b MHz)

I think T-Mobile got some AWS from AT&T bec of their failed merger. So I guess BOTH VZW and AT&T iPhone 5 will work on T-Mobile LTE.

victorbd

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Woops, you're right, posted too quickly there.

However, Verizon will not work. It's not the same LTE band they're using. Verizon LTE is on band 13, and like you said, AT&T model is compatible with bands 4 (AWS, AT&T, T-Mobile) and 17.

EstaVidaLoca

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
I've decided to just wait and buy an unlocked phone from Apple when T-Mobile gets LTE rolling in 2013 by then my contract with Sprint will be up and I'll know for sure if Sprint's LTE is real in Dallas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.