Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Then when the iPhone is no longer popular, what will happen to Apple then?

Plus it's kind of depressing to see that a computer company barely sells any computers anymore looking at that chart.

Post-PC world. Apple has been saying that for the past 2-3 years now and iOS device sales are through the roof.

The only reason to attribute low sales of the iPhone in this quarter is people awaiting the release of the iPhone 5. This holiday quarter will crush your pessimism.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Its good to see that iPad sales only top CPU sales by a small margin.

Closing in on triple the volume, and ~2.16 billion dollars more income (based off percentages)

Not bad for a product that top of the range price is not much more than the limited bottom of the range CPU (829vs599)

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Expected, People will get into debt just to have Apple products while Apple laugh to the bank, Just like the iPad 3 owners upgrading to 4, for what?

im not aware of droves of people upgrading from third-gen to fourth. statistically it will be a very small number...tech geeks, not normal consumers. i dont know a single one in my own geek circle.

Not me though. i'll purchase when i need and get value out of my purchases.

why do you assume others dont do what you do?

Demonofelru

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
er, *whose* expectations? "analysts"? the same analysts who have been armchairing apples every move and largely blowing it...hmm yeah not so concerned w/ them.

Hate to always come to analysts defense, but analysts were a HELL of a lot closer then AAPL, they are the benchmark not AAPLs guidance.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

Plus it's kind of depressing to see that a computer company barely sells any computers anymore looking at that chart.

They're clearly ignorant of that possibility. They likely sit around their offices daydreaming of the day that every man, woman and child has 3 iPhones. Then they take a long lunch and get high afterward.

cotak

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Post-PC world. Apple has been saying that for the past 2-3 years now and iOS device sales are through the roof.

The only reason to attribute low sales of the iPhone in this quarter is people awaiting the release of the iPhone 5. This holiday quarter will crush your pessimism.

The term "Post-PC" should have caveats attached when people use it.

Post-PC is not a simple "iDevice" thing. And it's not because those computers are going away.

What I mean is Post-PC shouldn't be taken to mean we'll stop buying and using other computing devices now. Rather it really means the growth market is Post-PC.

Maddix

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
Many of the same people who are exited about Apples earnings thinks other corporations have no right to earn as much. Say a grocery store chain like Kroger.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006

There should really be some kind of test on background knowledge before being allowed to post here. The entire PC market is shrinking and Apple is actually one of the only companies making money selling computers. Complain all you want, but more people are buying mobile devices than computers and Apple's selling the most of both.

Would you have complained about record companies selling more CD media than cassettes? No, because that was a paradigm shift. That's what's happening now with co Peter's and mobile devices.

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Many of the same people who are exited about Apples earnings thinks other corporations have no right to earn as much. Say a grocery store chain like Kroger.

Have you been talking with Artie MacStrawman? :D

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Q1 2013

Is going to be insane!!! expected $52B revenue!

Apple has just updated their Mac Line, iPad line, iPod Line, and iPhone Line.

on time for the holidays

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

1.) Like ANY product, it has a life cycle.

The consumer laptop replaced the consumer desktop.
The iPad/iPhone are replacing the consumer laptop.
Ect.

Apple's next big thing is on the horizon likely, but they can't launch a new product category every year! That said, the iPhone and iPad aren't losing steam any time soon it seems ...

Furthermore, in case you didn't know, the same year Apple announced the iPhone, they dropped the "Computer" portion from their company name. They are not solely a computer company, and obviously haven't been for years. That said, I'm not sure who's to say that an iPhone or iPad isn't a computer ... it has a display, CPU, GPU, RAM, OS, ect. ...

Earnings not spectacular......

earnings missed expectations as did iphone sales.

People really need to stop setting such unreasonable expectations. Even a company like Apple, will not grow at the same rate year over year. They definitely hit a popularity period where growth was off the charts, but that is not sustainable. That said, their earnings and growth are still awfully impressive, especially when compared to the competition!

So Apple sold 21% more units in Europe but it generated 3% less revenue than the last quarter? ASP isn't looking good, at all.

I think what we are seeing here is two things:

1.) The US dollar is weaker, so when sales are translated to the domestic currency for reporting purposes, we are seeing less revenue.
2.) Apple might be lowering prices in foreign countries, to spark demand. In the grand scheme of things, Apple is newly a worldly company. They definitely held artificially higher foreign prices in past years as they tested the market. I think they have a better grasp as to what their foreign demand is now, and will adjust prices accordingly.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
The term "Post-PC" should have caveats attached when people use it.

Post-PC is not a simple "iDevice" thing. And it's not because those computers are going away.

What I mean is Post-PC shouldn't be taken to mean we'll stop buying and using other computing devices now. Rather it really means the growth market is Post-PC.

I agree with everything you say. However, desktop and notebook computer sales are down overall as technology and the demand for that technology shifts over time.

Will the desktop or notebook ever go away? I don't think so. In fact, I hope not. There are people out there, myself included, that need that truck to do the heavy lifting. I am fine with having a sports car along with everyone else.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Post-PC world. Apple has been saying that for the past 2-3 years now and iOS device sales are through the roof. The only reason to attribute low sales of the iPhone in this quarter is people awaiting the release of the iPhone 5. This holiday quarter will crush your pessimism.

I'm thinking along the same lines.

Then when the iPhone is no longer popular, what will happen to Apple then? Plus it's kind of depressing to see that a computer company barely sells any computers anymore looking at that chart.

Barely? They are selling more computers than ever before. Please check the figures. Also the word 'depressing' is not a word currently associated, by most people, with the name APPLE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.