Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
New York
So every time I wake up my phone the wifi indicator goes from off to on. I thought wifi was always enabled when activated? Is there a setting that I need to enable to keep the wifi from turning off when my phone goes to sleep? I can't seem to find a setting to enable this. :confused: TIA.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
WIFI does use up power, so I don't think they want u waking up to a drained phone. Now if the phone is on a charger, perhaps they should let u have WIFI on to take care of background tasks.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
This is how iOS is designed to function.

Wi-Fi will only stay on when the device is locked if any of the following are true:

a) Your device is plugged in to a power source

b) Cellular data is disabled

c) You are using an application in the background (e.g. Skype) that uses data.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
New York
WIFI does use up power, so I don't think they want u waking up to a drained phone. Now if the phone is on a charger, perhaps they should let u have WIFI on to take care of background tasks.

Common misconception, actually 3G and LTE use more battery life than wifi so it would be better to leave wifi on all the time. Other devices have a wifi sleepy policy. As I remember iPhone used to have this as well. This sucks If Apple disabled this and not giving us an option to keep it on.

BTW I don't want to leave my phone on the charger well after its at full charge.

Last edited:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
So every time I wake up my phone the wifi indicator goes from off to on. I thought wifi was always enabled when activated? Is there a setting that I need to enable to keep the wifi from turning off when my phone goes to sleep? I can't seem to find a setting to enable this. :confused: TIA.

Why do you need this??

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
New York
This is how iOS is designed to function.

Wi-Fi will only stay on when the device is locked if any of the following are true:

a) Your device is plugged in to a power source

b) Cellular data is disabled

c) You are using an application in the background (e.g. Skype) that uses data.

Actually I disabled cellular data and wifi turns off when it goes to sleep.

I disabled cellular data because I have seen a huge increase in my data and I'm almost up to 5GB for this month. So I figured I would be on wifi only when at home to not rack up anymore data.

When at home, I wanted to disable cellular data and keep wifi on but I noticed that I'm not getting my email and other notifications when my phone goes to sleep.

I have had previous iPhones and this has never happened. Is this a feature on iOS6? Not pleased with this as cellular data is at a premium and I want to avoid being throttled.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I noticed this also, I don't think it's the correct behavior. Cell data uses more power than wifi, cell data is expensive. My cellular iPad with iOS6 doesn't do this either.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Cellular data antennas use a lot more power to maintain a 3G or 4G connection than wifi does. It makes sense to just funnel data through WiFi and phone calls through 1G.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
New York
I just looked further into this and found out that wifi is disabled while the phone sleeps by default and there's no way to bypass this. There is no rhyme or reason for this and it absolutely does not save battery power. I would at least like to have a setting that never lets the wifi sleep like other devices I have owned. WTF Apple? :mad:

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
It's not an issue and has been this way since iOS 4.0.1. Wifi turns off after sleep for 20 seconds.

Everything still works. FaceTime works, messages. It really is a non issue.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Here haven't been ANY threads about this. No sir. Not even one. Not that you would know since you obviously didn't search the forums.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Common misconception, actually 3G and LTE use more battery life than wifi so it would be better to leave wifi on all the time. Other devices have a wifi sleepy policy. As I remember iPhone used to have this as well. This sucks If Apple disabled this and not giving us an option to keep it on.

BTW I don't want to leave my phone on the charger well after its at full charge.

I read somewhere that a 3G connection that runs while your phone is locked requires less battery than a connection to wifi. But if your device is in use, an active 3G connection uses more battery than wifi - and that's why the iPhone turns off wifi when locked.

I don't know if all this holds true on a smartphone though, I mean devices like the iPhone are basically always connected because of push so actually 3G would be active all the time, wouldn't it? Anyway, I guess apple know what they're doing. When it comes to tech, that is.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
New York
Why is it even a problem in the first place? It'll do just fine on cellular for background tasks while asleep and not connected to a power source. It's not like it's going to use lots of data while sleeping.

Apologist

----------

There is a solution but your reply is so stupid. Yes horrible for Apple to design it this way Naawwwt! Sell your iPhone and get something else.

Apologist and a complete tool for the insult as I insulted no one.

----------

Should have known better to ask for help on a site that's full of people like this :rolleyes: Moving on.....:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFhjDX-DUew&list=FL8ahR0ulqD3bS99qwDa-Atw&index=1&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTSsB92L_s&list=FL8ahR0ulqD3bS99qwDa-Atw&index=2&feature=plpp_video

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I agree it's an issue because it's really hard to get iTunes Wifi sync working the way it's behaving now. If I activate sync from my computer while the iPhone/iPad are away from me, it drops the sync because wifi's been turned off from being asleep too long. Have to turn the devices on, make sure it latches to a wifi connection again before I can hit the sync button in iTunes.

This was not happening pre-iOS 6.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
For what it's worth there is a JB app that will keep wifi alive all the time, I forgot the name of it though.

Honestly was only useful to me when I was running an iPhone without a data plan, if you have a data plan Apple's setup is the most power efficient.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
This isn't a solution and I refuse to have my device connected to a power source 24/7 while I'm at home.

Then get rid of your damn phone and be done with us. What do you want us to do for you for crying out loud? We told you over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, that is the way it is. You refuse to accept it. GET RID OF YOUR PHONE!

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This is not new. It's been like this for years, and there have been countless threads about it.

You're the one who's being rude about it, OP. You.

This.

Wifi has been disabled during sleep for as long as I can remember in ios. ie. since I had to configure my Exchange server for the original iPhones. Wifi uses a HUGE amount of standby power compared to cellular.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I am pretty sure the wifi is not actually off when in sleep mode. Two examples: 1. iCloud backup only works (automatically) if phone is on wifi, plugged in and in sleep mode.
2. I kept my iPhone 4 after getting a 5. It has no cellular service. My son uses it as an iPod touch, and when the wifi is on, screen off, iMessages go through just fine, and show up on the lock screen even if I do not touch the phone.
This makes me assume either the wifi is on or it is somehow triggered to turn back on if needed.
I am no expert by any means, but I was just trying to reason it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.