Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Unless Germany and a plethora of other countries are also in America?

Newsflash: The soviets lost the cold war. Germany (not to mention the rest of Eastern Europe) is basically an occupied slave state to American capitalist-imperialism now.

Today, Germany exists almost solely for its industrial production, making high-end automobiles for American and Chinese elites. So of course they are going to side with their American masters when it comes to something silly like an IP dispute.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
They won't get a billion from Samsung.

It could be as high as 3 billion, to tell the truth. However, I'm betting it will end up closer to a billion.

----------

I know that, but it was Apple who chose to include the words. It sounds like sour grapes is all. Apple sometimes needs to just grow up and accept that they lost this one.

Apple is a COMPANY not a HUMAN.

----------

Grow up.

Apple will never see any of that $1bn.

Yet again, the US is the only place where Apple is actually winning anything. Throughout the rest of the world all cases are in favour of Samsung or over ruled on appeal.

Right, Apple will end up with nothing despite a court ruling that it be paid...and you think others should grow up? You've basically put your head in the sand and are pretending this isn't happening. Just because you're completely dismissive of the US doesn't mean that the rest of the world is right and the US is wrong.

If you could look at the evidence in this trial and walk away thinking Samsung is a great company that didn't do anything wrong, don't even bother discussing this stuff anymore, you're clueless.

If you believe Samsung did do something wrong here, then maybe the crazy US patent system worked in this case.

----------

No it couldn't... It will come down a little more and then go up higher than ever again. This will happen several times over the next few years. This has been going on for a while now.

Also worth noting is that other tech companies are experiencing the same drops in stock value.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
I bought 50K in 2009 at 85 - And sold just under 700 :) I am happy enough.

*edit* Just checked - was 89 and 694...

not boasting here jut very lucky.. Sold my flat just before market tanked and couldn't find a new place so just rented and thought I'd take a punt with some of my equity. Knew the iPhone was only going to sell more and then the iPad and it went mental.

I just have to wonder what they can do next to top it! Going to have to be a Proper Television home hub - but they are going to be expensive devices.

I suspect they are working on the next gen OSX with full touch capability - perhaps other input methods... just not in this Win8 half arsed way I hope.

nice...good for you ;) tv hub...mmm...im not that confident. actually im worried that tim cook wont be able to come up with something revolutionary. but the stuffs they have now, IMO, its good enough to carry apple past 800-850 in a years time.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
nice...good for you ;) tv hub...mmm...im not that confident. actually im worried that tim cook wont be able to come up with something revolutionary. but the stuffs they have now, IMO, its good enough to carry apple past 800-850 in a years time.

Even without anything revolutionary, their products are selling more and more and the "actual value" of a share of Apple stock is above the stock market price...

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Good timing for Apple, no one will even care about the legal link, they'll be over at the Apple store lining up to by the iPad Mini :rolleyes:

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Android Tablet market share hit 25% and Apples share is down to 56%. Didnt this happen to iPhone in the same way?

Microsoft has just launched Surface and im betting 2nd generation hardware will be a serious problem for Apple. Especially when Windows 8 Apps increase.

Share prices are forward looking and it seems that Apple is peaking and the competitors becoming better. Samsung already is the top smartphone manufacturer. Tablets are catching up.

Apples new iPad mini is just an expensive "me too" and shares dropped on the disappointment of that too.

Retina Macbook 13" offers zero value for its price and doesnt even have a GPU and overpriced SSD's and no way to upgrade.

So things are really looking up for Apple! hence the $100 drop in share price in 1 week.

Dream on. Android caters to the bottom of the market, iPad is solely a luxury item. The fact that an iOS device can even compete on market share with generic diluted Android who offer products as cheap as they come says a lot. Apple is after quality and clean product line, and making money to ensure no cost cutting required. They aren't touched by the heaps of monopoly-attempted droids in those regards. As for the Surface, who knows, but good luck with that. If it was made under Balmer's supervision then I wouldn't put my money on it.

Do your homework. Aapl stock is still up 50% for the year which is why it's pulling back. Company is stronger than ever and this is a classic "the further they artificially pull the slingshot back the further it will fly" effect. Aapl trades fir just 5 times FREE CASH! This company is worth so much more than it's valued at and only the jittery sheep will sell only to kick themselves later, as how it always goes with Aapl. The company is stronger than ever, so strong that it warrants a high valuation even if growth were to hypothetically stagnate sooner than later.

Of course, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, all tech really, all had horrible quarters to the point where they can only dream of Apple's. their stocks are heavily lagging Aapl as well, and are valued much more highly still.

RDStrong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
They were given specific text to include on their advertisements and they've gone beyond that. Undermining the court's original decision is precisely why Apple were punished by having to put up these ads in the first place. If they continue to behave like this they will be in contempt of court (which is a criminal act).

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Apple must be laughing hard at this one. "Oh noes, we're forced to run ads saying that our product is cooler than Samsung's! What a shame! *giggle* *guffaw*"

Let's be honest, Samsung do take the p1$$ a bit when it comes to copying Apple's design.. Chromebook 3 remind anyone of anything?:
Vk0KE.jpg

FgwhF.jpg

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
They were given specific text to include on their advertisements and they've gone beyond that. Undermining the court's original decision is precisely why Apple were punished by having to put up these ads in the first place. If they continue to behave like this they will be in contempt of court (which is a criminal act).

Who gives a sh@t. Samsung ripped off Apple's I/P then UK judge overstepped his bounds in forcing Apple to do something this ridiculous simply because he admitted Samsung's knockoff isn't "cool enough". Time for Apple to fight dirty with dirty.

Samsung's ad launches which constantly attack Apple and its fans warrants a reaction like this alone. Screw Samsung!

4D4M

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2005
Broken Britain

Oooh, I bet they're *****ing their pants with fear! The poor little underdog company with $124bn in the bank.

RDStrong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Oooh, I bet they're *****ing their pants with fear! The poor little underdog company with $124bn in the bank.
Contempt of court is a criminal act. Executives could be arrested for it and Apple barred from trading in the UK. None of that $124bn can buy Apple out it if they're found in contempt.

And for the record, if Apple had accepted the original ruling without resorting to snarky comments that undermined said ruling then they would have never been forced to place advertisements online or in the print media.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
$100 wiped off the share price in 1 week.

Who is laughing Apple?

Not your shareholers

Don't take up day trading, you'd cry yourself into the poor house! Actually, Apple hasn't been at $700 a share in over a month, but they started 2012 below $400.

The way it works is Buy on rumors, Sell on news. Looks like we had some rumors last week, and news this week. The speculators are simply cashing out.

Since I convinced my father to buy years ago at $50 and before some splits, and I bought below $150, and they are now paying dividends, we're still laughing! :D

4D4M

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2005
Broken Britain
Contempt of court is a criminal act. Executives could be arrested for it and Apple barred from trading in the UK. None of that $124bn can buy Apple out it if they're found in contempt.

That's assuming, of course, that they are found in contempt. Which they won't be, because they complied with the ruling. So what's your point? Scaremongering? Get a job with the Daily Mail!

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
Honestly Apple sounds like a little kid saying "oh yeah, well my dad is cooler than your dad so there" Really, all they needed to do was put the footnote there, no one will read it, no one will care.

They took the tone many of their users take...my product is cooler

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Gotta love how Apple keeps getting criticized for being too "laidback" these days as they present themselves in a very confident and mature manner....

.... yet when they get that Jobs'-era of hunger back, fighting words galore, taking pot-shots at the competition, the cryers are out with "not classy". Do you guys SEE/HEAR/WITNESS how many shameless and snarky, shady ads their competitors put out against Apple?

This is classic Apple, hungry Apple, "Punk" Apple. Did anyone here listen to their conference call? Tim Cook sounded like his body was taken over by the ghost of Jobs. He sounded feisty, driven, hungry, spiteful of the competitors leaching off of their backs, taking shots at 'em, etc. I for one love it, reminds me of Apple of yore.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Android Tablet market share hit 25% and Apples share is down to 56%. Didnt this happen to iPhone in the same way?

Microsoft has just launched Surface and im betting 2nd generation hardware will be a serious problem for Apple. Especially when Windows 8 Apps increase.

Share prices are forward looking and it seems that Apple is peaking and the competitors becoming better. Samsung already is the top smartphone manufacturer. Tablets are catching up.

Apples new iPad mini is just an expensive "me too" and shares dropped on the disappointment of that too.

Retina Macbook 13" offers zero value for its price and doesnt even have a GPU and overpriced SSD's and no way to upgrade.

So things are really looking up for Apple! hence the $100 drop in share price in 1 week.

Come the end of the first quarter 2013 we will see just how bad the sales are for the iPad Mini, Macbook Pro Retina and the share price. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and short Apple stock. If you are right you will make a lot of money.

Honestly, this is a great buying opportunity since the stock price is down right now.

Last edited:

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Childish and bullyish is what comes to mind, and unworthy of any mayor company .

If apple hadnt replaced the bald guy in its own 1984 comercial it has now.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I read the full post on it's website and I'm pretty sure it does not comply with the ruling and won't be surprised if Apple finds itself in court, again. And charged if it doesn't comply. Apple really shows no end to it's arrogance.
No matter, the way the corporation as a whole has been acting, I really do see Apple one day finding itself in front of the European Court or on the American Presidents desk. Having to explain it's actions.

I see the EU Court has had Microsoft in front of them again for it's anti competition behaviour.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Childish and bullyish is what comes to mind, and unworthy of any mayor company .

If apple hadnt replaced the bald guy in its own 1984 comercial it has now.

I think its fine considering what they were asked to do in the first place.

----------

I read the full post on it's website and I'm pretty sure it does not comply with the ruling and won't be surprised if Apple finds itself in court, again. And charged if it doesn't comply. Apple really shows no end to it's arrogance.

I would have thought they ran is past the relevant people first.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Love it! Bravo Apple for calling out those Shamsung thieves and directly quoting how the judge deemed their knockoffs too "uncool" to even be worthy of being an iPad competitor. To those saying "childish", wrong. This is good and creative business, it's justified and it is core Apple classic behavior. You want to see childish? Look at shady thieving Samesung's ads where in a most shamelessly jealous attempt, they attack Apple fans.

Yes, Bravo Apple for violating both the spirit and letter of the law, by saying the UK courts found Samsung didn't infringe but correct courts think so. :rolleyes: Only Apple Fans believe this is a what the judge meant. Wow.

RDStrong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
That's assuming, of course, that they are found in contempt. Which they won't be, because they complied with the ruling. So what's your point? Scaremongering? Get a job with the Daily Mail!

They undermining the ruling - which outlined specific instructions for them to follow - as they did before. It would be up to the Judge to determine if they're in contempt.

As a resident of the UK I have no personal issue with their patent wars with Samsung, but I do have a problem with their attitude towards official rulings given to them by the UK High Court. Given that the Judge saw fit to punish Apple for doing exactly that... so does the UK justice system.

They'd do well to accept the rule of law like the rest of us mere mortals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.