Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
FYI

Saw this on another forum. If you have use shopdiscover you get 5% cashback at apple store. If you have the promotion for 5% off for the month it stacks with the other 5% cashback. Friday Oct 26 you can sign up for an addition 2%

12% cashback. I'm going to order a Mini. From what I understand I can stack it with my education discount.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Thanks for the tip! So how does this work? Do I have to purchase this through the Discover card website or something?

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the tip! So how does this work? Do I have to purchase this through the Discover card website or something?

If you have a discover card. Log into the site and click on shop discover. Should be able to find the apple store. Make sure your signed up for the 4th quarter promotion as well.

EnJaNir

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Right now they have two reward promotions going on simply by signing up and using your card.
  1. 5% cash back for online purchases now through Dec 31
  2. 2% cash back bonus on Oct 26
  3. shopdiscover site also provides a 5% cash back bonus

I am not sure if they stack though, it would need to be verified with a customer agent

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
I heard you can stack more with a the coupon sites and get paid to buy a new mini. :D

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Right now they have two reward promotions going on simply by signing up and using your card.
  1. 5% cash back for online purchases now through Dec 31
  2. 2% cash back bonus on Oct 26
  3. shopdiscover site also provides a 5% cash back bonus

I am not sure if they stack though, it would need to be verified with a customer agent

Thank you for choosing Discover. A representative will be with you shortly.
You are now chatting with 'Kathryn'
Kathryn: Thank you for visiting Discover.com. What questions can I help you with today?
Dennis: Hiya
Dennis: I have a question. If I bought something with my discover card through shop discover. Say the apple store. They give 5% through shopdiscover. Do I also get the 5% for the online promotion as well?
Dennis: So it would be 10%
Kathryn: Hi Dennis! I am so glad you asked! You will receive 10% CashBack Bonus on this charge!
Dennis: and if I wait until tomorrow I'd get 12%?
Kathryn: Correct!
Dennis: Nice. Thanks so much

EnJaNir

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Thank you for choosing Discover. A representative will be with you shortly.
You are now chatting with 'Kathryn'
Kathryn: Thank you for visiting Discover.com. What questions can I help you with today?
Dennis: Hiya
Dennis: I have a question. If I bought something with my discover card through shop discover. Say the apple store. They give 5% through shopdiscover. Do I also get the 5% for the online promotion as well?
Dennis: So it would be 10%
Kathryn: Hi Dennis! I am so glad you asked! You will receive 10% CashBack Bonus on this charge!
Dennis: and if I wait until tomorrow I'd get 12%?
Kathryn: Correct!
Dennis: Nice. Thanks so much

I was trying to do the same thing but the site was experiencing technical difficulties when I tried. Great looking out for people.

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I just did the chat on Discover's website:

Rachel: Thank you for visiting Discover.com. What questions can I help you with today?
Steve: Hi Rachel, can I stack the bonuses? 5% for shopping at Apple, 5% for Cashback bonus internet shopping and 2% for Oct 26 = 12% off?
Rachel: Hello Steve! I can definitely understand wanting to know if you can do that! Absolutely, if you did that on the 26th, online through the link, you would earn 12%!
Steve: Great, thank you!! Bye

Guess what I'm doing in the morning!

Thanks OP for the tip!!

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Does Discover offer 1-year extra warranty like AMEX does?

Extended Product Warranty

Eligible Discover® Cardmembers automatically receive Extended Product Warranty protection for covered purchases. This insurance will double the original U.S. Manufacturer's Warranty up to one additional year on warranties of 36 months or less. Extended Product Warranty is an Extended Warranty insurance policy underwritten by Federal Insurance Company Policy # 9906-52-20 (the “Policy”). Keep this coverage description for your records.

We will duplicate the time period of the original U.S. Manufacturer Warranty and any Purchased Warranty on an Insured Person's Covered Purchase, up to a maximum of 12 months. If a U.S. Manufacturer Warranty or a Purchased Warranty is made up of multiple components, We will duplicate the time period of each component. If the total time period for the U.S. Manufacturer Warranty and the Purchased Warranty is greater than 36 months there is no coverage under this Policy. In no event will the total time period for all warranties, including this Policy, exceed 48 months.

Nadesico

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2006
This is confusing for me.

When in my account home on the right their is a shop Discover icon under my Cashback bonus area.

If I click "see retailers" next to shop Discover and click "Apple store" under the select a retailer bar I see the Apple store and it says "Earn 5% Cashback Bonus
when you shop on Apple Store" and underneath is a button that says "start shopping"

But if I click it I t a message that I am "leaving shop Discover"

Does that mean I won't get credit and did something wrong or is that normal and I can just select the mini on Apples site, toss it in a cart and purchase it?

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Extended Product Warranty
Eligible Discover® Cardmembers automatically receive Extended Product Warranty protection for covered purchases. This insurance will double the original U.S. Manufacturer's Warranty up to one additional year on warranties of 36 months or less.

Thanks nydennis, going to get a Discover Card today!

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
This is confusing for me.

When in my account home on the right their is a shop Discover icon under my Cashback bonus area.

If I click "see retailers" next to shop Discover and click "Apple store" under the select a retailer bar I see the Apple store and it says "Earn 5% Cashback Bonus
when you shop on Apple Store" and underneath is a button that says "start shopping"

But if I click it I t a message that I am "leaving shop Discover"

Does that mean I won't get credit and did something wrong or is that normal and I can just select the mini on Apples site, toss it in a cart and purchase it?

if you click through the link on the shopdiscover it opens up an apple site. That keeps track of you on the apple store. Just don't close the new apple store window it pops up

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Ordered!!!

Thanks Dennis!!!

FYI... You have to sign up to get that extra 2% off today only deal. Does NOT happen automatically.

When it sent me to the apple website, it automatically purchased it when I used my apple id. My discover card is used for my apple id. Do you think I will have a problem?

Nadesico

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2006
Ordered!!!

Thanks Dennis!!!

FYI... You have to sign up to get that extra 2% off today only deal. Does NOT happen automatically.

When it sent me to the apple website, it automatically purchased it when I used my apple id. My discover card is used for my apple id. Do you think I will have a problem?

Hopefully not, it did the same for me.

Shop discover>apple>clicked the mini I wanted>asked for my apple id>and when I put it in it (my discover card info) was already there.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Knowing this makes me want to buy something. But I have no need for anything =( #FirstWorldProblems

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
any way to confirm if we got the deal or do we have to wait til the next billing period.

Discover said you have to wait until the merchant sends the info to them. Should be a week. IF for some reason something got screwed up at the very least you would get 7% Cashback. I've received over a 1000 dollars in cashback over the past year. They were always quick to resolve anything if it came up.

I ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday. Ordered the samsung 256 SSD 830 series. I know 840 is out but I didn't want to spend the extra money. I ordered 16GB ram.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Discover said you have to wait until the merchant sends the info to them. Should be a week. IF for some reason something got screwed up at the very least you would get 7% Cashback. I've received over a 1000 dollars in cashback over the past year. They were always quick to resolve anything if it came up.

I ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday. Ordered the samsung 256 SSD 830 series. I know 840 is out but I didn't want to spend the extra money. I ordered 16GB ram.

apple charged me yesterday already! shipped a fully loaded mid Mac last night from china too!

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
apple charged me yesterday already! shipped a fully loaded mid Mac last night from china too!

Great, I spoke with Discover and they said it could take a week or two for the company (Apple) to report the sale to them. They told me to check back then to see if the Merchant reported the sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.