Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tacos1799

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Hello. I was recently thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 5 from a previous generation iPhone. However, after seeing the release of the iPad Mini, an interesting thought hit me. Could the iPad Mini (Verizon/AT&T) be used as a cell phone replacement using Skype for making phone calls, and a free texting app for messaging? So I am now trying to decide as to whether to go with the iPhone 5 or the iPad Mini (Cellular Version) as a primary cell phone. Here are the main reasons why I was thinking of using the Mini.
Significantly larger screen
Cheaper to upgrade (I would be paying the full retail price for the iPhone 5)
Easier to keep track of
Does anyone see any major flaws with the Mini as a cell phone (excluding the fact that it is a tad awkward as a cell phone which isn't really a concern for me.)? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
How would someone get a hold of you?

iMessage/e-mail if they want to talk to you

Magic Jack / Skype/ Line etc etc for VoIP voice calls.

phone number is outdated and not necessary anymore.

----------

Hello. I was recently thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 5 from a previous generation iPhone. However, after seeing the release of the iPad Mini, an interesting thought hit me. Could the iPad Mini (Verizon/AT&T) be used as a cell phone replacement using Skype for making phone calls, and a free texting app for messaging? So I am now trying to decide as to whether to go with the iPhone 5 or the iPad Mini (Cellular Version) as a primary cell phone. Here are the main reasons why I was thinking of using the Mini.
Significantly larger screen
Cheaper to upgrade (I would be paying the full retail price for the iPhone 5)
Easier to keep track of
Does anyone see any major flaws with the Mini as a cell phone (excluding the fact that it is a tad awkward as a cell phone which isn't really a concern for me.)? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Only flaw is when you need 911, or you want to be contacted by traditional means... eg... doctor's office, dentists, banks, telemarketers, your grandma etc... who are still using traditional phone number.

IMO, an LTE iPad mini is portable enough and good enough to replace a phone as long as you don't need to receive calls.

----------

How would someone get a hold of you?

Actually, does Skype # not work on an iPad?

Last edited:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
iMessage/e-mail if they want to talk to you

Magic Jack / Skype/ Line etc etc for VoIP voice calls.

phone number is outdated and not necessary anymore.

----------

Only flaw is when you need 911, or you want to be contacted by traditional means... eg... doctor's office, dentists, banks, telemarketers, your grandma etc... who are still using traditional phone number.

IMO, an LTE iPad mini is portal enough and good enough to replace a phone as long as you don't need to receive calls.

----------

Actually, does Skype # not work on an iPad?

yeah skype, googlevoice. etc. several VOIP clients out there.

tbone32aduro

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
iPad Mini as an iPhone Replacement?

yeah skype, googlevoice. etc. several VOIP clients out there.

Aloha,

First time here and I have no tech degree. Regarding using VOIP one would have to be in an area where there is more than just voice. Meaning one would have to be in an area that also is Data, 3 or 4G correct? I have not required a smartphone in the past decade as I just had a cell phone with keypad and a HP PDA back then. dde to my location(s) there 90% no good data service available and not even voice everywhere. Plus one would have to pay data charges I assume as well unless they have a unlimited data plan, correct?

However, I will make trips twice a month for a couple days and then would need a data device and prefer to have only one device and not use one for a hotspot and I don't like public wi-fi for security reasons.

I am curious is there anyway to add a sim card or something to that effect? I will be in a unique situation where this setup would be handy.

I like the idea of the Samsung Galaxy Note II coming in with a 5.5" screen and quad core 1.6Ghz... and the smart stylus, etc. Does not come loaded with the good application for pics like the iPhone even though it is an 8 mega-pixel camera. Apps can be purchased. However, it's not an Apple product & I prefer to stick with mac. But, the iPhone is only 4" and for my specific purpose one device with a large screen, fast, expandable memory as I won't always have cloud access and I like a replaceable battery. I suppose if Apple went the with a phablet, memory card, swappable battery they may think the common person will compare it to other products. However, for me personally mac iOS is superior especially for compatibility to my iMac. The Dell Streak had a good idea, but could not execute a good device and they are/were Dell.

Therefore, I am considering the Samsung Galaxy Note II or the iPhone 5 and a tablet for my purposes. It would just be simpler to have a larger iPhone screen and some of the Note II features and only have to carry one device for my use. Plus everyone complains, "I don't want to hold a huge phone to my ear". And I say "why are they holding a phone to the side of the brain and cooking it?" I just use a bluetooth or wired headsets anyway. And yes I have a man bag. Go ahead and make some jokes about my man bag and the rest of this post if you don't hear where I'm coming from, I can take a joke.

Any reasonable suggestions appreciated, thanks much!

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
sound like you desperately seeking a "phablet".

The side with the green garbage can mascot has what you are seeking! It's called the note 2.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003

IMO, an LTE iPad mini is portable enough and good enough to replace a phone as long as you don't need to receive calls.

I see 911, but why cant you give your Skype number or Googletalk number to the doctor's office? Naive question having used neither :)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Aloha,

First time here and I have no tech degree. Regarding using VOIP one would have to be in an area where there is more than just voice. Meaning one would have to be in an area that also is Data, 3 or 4G correct? I have not required a smartphone in the past decade as I just had a cell phone with keypad and a HP PDA back then. dde to my location(s) there 90% no good data service available and not even voice everywhere. Plus one would have to pay data charges I assume as well unless they have a unlimited data plan, correct?

However, I will make trips twice a month for a couple days and then would need a data device and prefer to have only one device and not use one for a hotspot and I don't like public wi-fi for security reasons.

I am curious is there anyway to add a sim card or something to that effect? I will be in a unique situation where this setup would be handy.

I like the idea of the Samsung Galaxy Note II coming in with a 5.5" screen and quad core 1.6Ghz... and the smart stylus, etc. Does not come loaded with the good application for pics like the iPhone even though it is an 8 mega-pixel camera. Apps can be purchased. However, it's not an Apple product & I prefer to stick with mac. But, the iPhone is only 4" and for my specific purpose one device with a large screen, fast, expandable memory as I won't always have cloud access and I like a replaceable battery. I suppose if Apple went the with a phablet, memory card, swappable battery they may think the common person will compare it to other products. However, for me personally mac iOS is superior especially for compatibility to my iMac. The Dell Streak had a good idea, but could not execute a good device and they are/were Dell.

Therefore, I am considering the Samsung Galaxy Note II or the iPhone 5 and a tablet for my purposes. It would just be simpler to have a larger iPhone screen and some of the Note II features and only have to carry one device for my use. Plus everyone complains, "I don't want to hold a huge phone to my ear". And I say "why are they holding a phone to the side of the brain and cooking it?" I just use a bluetooth or wired headsets anyway. And yes I have a man bag. Go ahead and make some jokes about my man bag and the rest of this post if you don't hear where I'm coming from, I can take a joke.

Any reasonable suggestions appreciated, thanks much!

yep voice over I.P. Gotta have data. most VOIP services use around .5mb per minute. some with higher quality codecs like G.726 will use about .75 mb a minute

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Google Voice via Tapatalk

This is what I did for a while with an iPad before getting an iPhone. Works fine except when you need to call a company that has a multiple choice chain to get anywhere. That was pretty frustrating. You can also get a prepaid dumb phone to make and receive calls instead of using the tablet. You would have to carry around 2 devices, but if you are carrying a tablet everywhere, even an iPad mini, you likely have enough room to also carry a small flip phone.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
I am thinking of doing the same thing. Wouldn't this also be a much cheaper solution? Especially for those who don't use voice too much to begin with...

Could you use an iPad mini sim in an iPhone or when you want a small form factor?

R

Scouse

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
Florida
Viber & whatsapp

Not too sure if Viber and whatsapp will work for voice and chat.

I am also considering replacing my iphone 4 with the Ipad mini. Reason being that I have a work cell phone so mainly use the Iphone for Apps and data.
Hoping that it would reduce the amount I have to pay AT&T.

Anyone know how the data plans work with AT&T?

cloud25

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
I wouldn't call it a replacement but it's certainly capable of many things an iPhone can do, at the cost of many inconveniences.

At the end of the day, a phone is a phone, a tablet is a tablet. You can do it if you don't mind the troubles. But as someone who has to make so many calls from school and/or work, it's somewhat ridiculous to go that route.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
VoIP has its limitations. I used Skype in Europe and it worked great 70% of the time. The other 30% was super garbly and dropping calls. The other limitation is that there is no tower handoff with VoIP. As you are driving the towers are constantly doing soft transfers as you get in, and out of range. With data there is a very abrupt drop as you reconnect with each tower.

It would be very frustrating. I wish they just let you get a voice plan. I would be fine with just using a Bluetooth headset.

tacos1799

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Not too sure if Viber and whatsapp will work for voice and chat.

I am also considering replacing my iphone 4 with the Ipad mini. Reason being that I have a work cell phone so mainly use the Iphone for Apps and data.
Hoping that it would reduce the amount I have to pay AT&T.

Anyone know how the data plans work with AT&T?

The plans for AT&T are as follows:
250 MB - $15 per month
3 GB - $30 per month
5 GB $50 per month
8 GB $80 per month

I personally would prefer Verizon though, due to their more extensive coverage and the fact that their iPad plans include free mobile hotspot whole AT&T doesn't. Unless of course AT&T coverage happens to be better in your area in which case that makes much more sense.

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
Anyone used it on an Ipad with 3G?

I do. While the iPad 3 has LTE, it is not supported everywhere and I end up on 3G a lot. For VOIP 3G seems just fine. Not nearly as taxing as video chats, yet even video chats work reasonably. Some stuttering when you move while the video call is in progress. If you move fast, e.g. on train or car, then calls can interrupt sometimes and you have to call back. Did not find this a problem while walking.
Skype calls or Facetime work great on 3G as long as you have enough signal coverage.

The real problems are more the inherent limitations of this setup.
- You need friends that are OK to send emails instead of SMSs.
- Then you need to check your emails constantly at times when you are about to meet friends - as they might just email you that they're late or ask you where you are or where the meeting place is, etc.
- Also some companies have issues when you are not able to provide a phone number but just an email address. Ran into those a few times.
If you do not have a Skype number you could give them your work phone number, if you have one and if it is OK to receive personal calls there. (Which is what I do).
But this might not work in all situations for you.

I am on this setup since about 6 months.
Stopped using my old iPhone 3G and have not yet upgraded to a 4S or 5, or any other mobile phone for that matter. I might never.

I found that on the whole a constant Internet connection is more important to me than a phone connection. So I decided to get an iPad with 4G/3G instead of an iPhone as the Internet experience, even on the iPhone 5 due to its much smaller screen is a lot worse IMHO. As an Internet device the iPad is still the best iDevice.

So far I am OK. But it is not always convenient, I admit that. Yet it saves me having to pay for 2 monthly phone contracts (iPhone + iPad) or saves me having to carry another personal WiFi module (that I need to worry about charging and bringing separately etc.).

I actually think that this is the future. A mobile Internet device, likely a 7" or 10" tablet, with a bluetooth headset (or earphones with mike) and a phone number attached to the device. Much rather than a mobile phone.
For now, perhaps, with my setup I am a bit ahead of times. It might be too early.

Last edited:

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
I do. While the iPad 3 has LTE, it is not supported everywhere and I end up on 3G a lot. For VOIP 3G seems just fine. Not nearly as taxing as video chats, yet even video chats work reasonably. Some stuttering when you move while the video call is in progress. If you move fast, e.g. on train or car, then calls can interrupt sometimes and you have to call back. Did not find this a problem while walking.
Skype calls or Facetime work great on 3G as long as you have enough signal coverage.

The real problems are more the inherent limitations of this setup.
- You need friends that are OK to send emails instead of SMSs.
- Then you need to check your emails constantly at times when you are about to meet friends - as they might just email you that they're late or ask you where you are or where the meeting place is, etc.
- Also some companies have issues when you are not able to provide a phone number but just an email address. Ran into those a few times.
If you do not have a Skype number you could give them your work phone number, if you have one and if it is OK to receive personal calls there. (Which is what I do).
But this might not work in all situations for you.

I am on this setup since about 6 months.
Stopped using my old iPhone 3G and have not yet upgraded to a 4S or 5, or any other mobile phone for that matter. I might never.

I found that on the whole a constant Internet connection is more important to me than a phone connection. So I decided to get an iPad with 4G/3G instead of an iPhone as the Internet experience, even on the iPhone 5 due to its much smaller screen is a lot worse IMHO. As an Internet device the iPad is still the best iDevice.

So far I am OK. But it is not always convenient, I admit that. Yet it saves me having to pay for 2 monthly phone contracts (iPhone + iPad) or saves me having to carry another personal WiFi module (that I need to worry about charging and bringing separately etc.).

I actually think that this is the future. A mobile Internet device, likely a 7" or 10" tablet, with a bluetooth headset (or earphones with mike) and a phone number attached to the device. Much rather than a mobile phone.
For now, perhaps, with my setup I am a bit ahead of times. It might be too early.

i think i am with you sir...

regarding the downsides you mentioned... consider getting a google voice number. it ties in with your gvoice chat and there are many ios programs that use the service. it will allow you to have a normal phone number to sms from, receive to, dial from, and receive voice calls to.

i think when my contract is up on my 4s i may just jump att and go data with the mini.

r.

MacDaniel2004

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Gvoice?

i think i am with you sir...

regarding the downsides you mentioned... consider getting a google voice number. it ties in with your gvoice chat and there are many ios programs that use the service. it will allow you to have a normal phone number to sms from, receive to, dial from, and receive voice calls to.

i think when my contract is up on my 4s i may just jump att and go data with the mini.

r.

I'm confused. I thought Google Voice just gave you a phone number that when dialed, rang all your other phone numbers. But since there is no phone/phone number attached to an iPad mini, how does Google Voice ring on the iPad mini?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I'm confused. I thought Google Voice just gave you a phone number that when dialed, rang all your other phone numbers. But since there is no phone/phone number attached to an iPad mini, how does Google Voice ring on the iPad mini?

you need another app to make/receive calls like talkatone. the google voice app on its own won't do it.

alzapa

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
I have already put a plan in motion to replace my iphone with a idea kind of along the line of yours.

I am using a normal cheep phone on a prepaid plan; and I am paying 30$ a month on that for unlimited text and talk. And I will be adding my mini soon which will add 20$ a month for data from Verizon. Saving over 600$ a year on my stupidly over priced Iphone plan I had with AT&T :)

I say go for it and replace that phone if saving money is your motivation, but if its convenience I would stay with the Iphone. I like your ideas with calling with skype and stuff, but it seems so much easier to just buy a cheep phone and have a real number.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Excellent thread. I currently have my unlocked att iPhone 5 for sale to go the ipad mini LTE route because I NEVER make/receive calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.