Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Ok Folks,

If you can fit an 7.9 inch iPad Mini in your hand, then there is no reason why Apple could not introduce an iPhone with a 5 inch screen. It should be even easier to hold this than the mini. Lets get the ball rolling Apple and put out a 5 inch screen iPhone for March 2013.;)

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Ok Folks,

If you can fit an 7.9 inch iPad Mini in your hand, then there is no reason why Apple could not introduce an iPhone with a 5 inch screen. It should be even easier to hold this than the mini. Lets get the ball rolling Apple and put out a 5 inch screen iPhone for March 2013.;)

enjoy your 5, don't talk about the 6 yet, its getting ridiculous to keep speculating on things we don't have input/control over.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
It is ridiculous, though Apple's strategy seems to be to lock down everything between 3.5" and 9". We'll see how this goes, but am starting t get a mid-90's feel from the company.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
The 6 is 2 years away. The 5s is probably the next one released [speculation] sometime next year, and will most likely look the same as the 5, with better internals [ala 4 to 4s].

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
IP6 prototype

B10BA1D7-82AD-498C-BC02-870114E8F939-13487-00001191E9B63915.jpg

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Ok Folks,

yes lets go 5" phones, the 4" is awkward enough.
I usually place my smartphone in the main cupholder of my F–150 while driving, and I can’t think of a more fitting unit of measure than the width of that cupholder. It sounds a bit odd, but the Note 2 is too large to fit inside, it kind of just flops around. If my cupholder can accommodate a 64 fl-oz (1.89 L) double gulp diet coke, but not the Note 2, I think that’s saying something profound.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6386/samsung-galaxy-note-2-review-t-mobile-/2

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I think they'll keep the 4" screen for a while. In fact it makes you wonder what else they could really do with the external specs.
They could come up with a watch sized phone. Go smaller instead of bigger. ??
The iWatch? iPhone Watch? iPhone 6 with a twist, one that fits on your wrist. Hmmm, maybe not. :p
Maybe they could go really retro, back to the days of the first ever mobile phones and come up with the iBrick Phone...... or maybe not. :D

Now my question (rhetorical of course) is will Apple sort out their naming convention and call it by it's generation number or still pick whatever they think works.
I mean it would be easier if they referred to the generation number as they did with iPhone 4.
Calling the 6th gen iPhone the iPhone 5 is confusing enough for a lot of people.
They should call it iPhone 7 instead of iPhone 6.
Ahhh, whateva Apple. :(

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
If you can fit an 7.9 inch iPad Mini in your hand, then there is no reason why Apple could not introduce an iPhone with a 5 inch screen.
That's a leap in reasoning... Certainly they could release iPhones in all sorts of sizes. Could, however, isn't the issue and this topic is already a dead horse.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
With the iPad Mini being released. I don't see the iPhone's screen getting any bigger. If anything, the may make it wider. But probably not. Anything significantly bigger then you will be in iPad Mini territory.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Ok Folks,

There is a difference between holding in one hand and operating with one hand. With the mini you can hold it and scroll around or turn pages. On an iPhone you can actually navigate around the device.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
There is a difference between holding in one hand and operating with one hand. With the mini you can hold it and scroll around or turn pages. On an iPhone you can actually navigate around the device.

thank you.. someone with some sense.

OP buy an ipad mini and dont worry about a device 2 years from now

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
My sources tell me that the iPhone 6 will be released in February 2013 to get the product cycle back to the beginning of the year. It will be a simple spec bump with a new coating that will be more resistant to scratching.

The iPhone 7 will come out in 2014 and will feature a 4.25" screen. The camera will be upgraded to a 10.6MP and have 16:9 resolution pictures (it will also include a "timer" feature to take pictures automatically). The home button will be removed and all of its functionality will be moved to multi-touch gestures.

sevendust

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
My sources tell me that the iPhone 6 will be released in February 2013 to get the product cycle back to the beginning of the year. It will be a simple spec bump with a new coating that will be more resistant to scratching.

The iPhone 7 will come out in 2014 and will feature a 4.25" screen. The camera will be upgraded to a 10.6MP and have 16:9 resolution pictures (it will also include a "timer" feature to take pictures automatically). The home button will be removed and all of its functionality will be moved to multi-touch gestures.

why don't they just release a new product monthly then? or perhaps weekly? hehehe. Is apple gonna be the "new" Nokia wherein there's always a new release?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Probably what they should just do is introduce an iPad minipad and maxipad that has voice celluar as well as data.

The phone would be via headset only, because holding up a big thing next to your head is so 80's. :)

That way you have three sizes all with phone capabilities.

I don't see Apple going bigger than the iPhone 5 any time soon.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I concur with this^^.

I would love to have a 4.8 inch or even 5 inch model with full 1080P Retina Plus or whatever it's called.

That would be a real upgrade in my book.

My guess is that the 5s will be the same form-factor as the 5 and that the 6 will either be the same or *maybe* bump to a 4.3".

I also hope the 5s will come out in june/july 2013 and the 6 in june/july 2014.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
I still am not getting this whole huge screen thing, I have an iPhone 5 and the 4 inch screen is cool, but i was ok with the 3.5 inch screen too. its still a phone, want a bigger screen get an iPad.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
Honestly, I think Apple needs to skip the 5S this time around. Not because of competition, because there can be an android 10x better but because of the luxurious feel people will always be drawn towards the iPhone, but rather simply because people are getting tired of these small updates. We want something radical and different which would suggest the change of apple since Steve jobs death.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008

Unless your source is a ghost wearing a turtle neck I would not make any bets on this.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
"one size doesn't fit all"

Apple learned that kinda with AT&T. Now its on Verizon, Sprint, and soon T-Mobile because people want options.

This is just like screen sizes.

Some might like a smaller 4-inch size but others want a bigger phone. It makes no sense for Apple not to release multiple screen sizes.

4-inch (free model)

4.3-inch (base mode)

4.8-inch (pro model)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.