Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Any news regarding that performance patch?

Cheers

Nothing public, I admit it's not great news for you but a few unexpected things have come up causing the patch to go slower than expected. If you email support mentioning you spoke to me in the thread I can add anyone interested to the beta test list when the time comes.

Edwin

XouuBoy

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Denmark
The Patch?

Well.. I have read this thread, and i am exciting of the patch to improve the performance on the Intel HD3000. I use the MacBook Air 2011, so i would really like that patch! Would be nice if you could PM me with info Edwin?

-Denis

Last edited:

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Tried it on my late 2011 MBP with i7 and top graphics option. Runs horribly on Mac with medium settings, about 20-30 FPS.

Put Windows 8 on with Boot Camp. Runs maxed out, 60+ FPS.

Haven't booted back into OSX since. Not missing it and its slowness a whole lot.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
Tried it on my late 2011 MBP with i7 and top graphics option. Runs horribly on Mac with medium settings, about 20-30 FPS.

Put Windows 8 on with Boot Camp. Runs maxed out, 60+ FPS.

Haven't booted back into OSX since. Not missing it and its slowness a whole lot.

Something seriously wrong with your computer, because it runs maxed out on my mid-2010 iMac at 40-50fps.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Something seriously wrong with your computer, because it runs maxed out on my mid-2010 iMac at 40-50fps.

Well, no, because I tested it twice. Once on a frequently used installation and once right after a fresh reformat. Same crapness each time. Boot into Windows 8 first time, I get maxed out 60+ FPS.

Nothing wrong with the computer's hardware.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Almost a year since the game has released. Is the patch still being worked on?

Thanks,
Simon

The patch was put on hiatus while we waited on some driver improvements that will help. The time it has taken to patch the game is not Feral's finest hour however the work we have been doing with the driver companies for a few games in development should mean that we have some good methods we can hopefully use to give Mafia 2 a boost.

Their is a beta list if you want to request to be on it when the time comes.

Edwin

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Well, no, because I tested it twice. Once on a frequently used installation and once right after a fresh reformat. Same crapness each time. Boot into Windows 8 first time, I get maxed out 60+ FPS.

Nothing wrong with the computer's hardware.

I know this is an old post, but it was a software issue. It was updated a few weeks ago. Before the patch I'd get 10-15 FPS in CS:GO maxed out. Now I get 70-110 maxed out.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I know this is an old post, but it was a software issue. It was updated a few weeks ago. Before the patch I'd get 10-15 FPS in CS:GO maxed out. Now I get 70-110 maxed out.

Was it a driver update or a general OSX update?

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Was it a driver update or a general OSX update?

It was just an update in the MAS... I forget what it was called, and I can't find the MR article on it. Pretty sure it was a few hundred KB big. A lot of people were complaining of terrible performance, especially on the Steam forums, but this fixed it.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Better late than never, I suppose. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the heads up. :)

marieweaver132

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
Mafia II

Mafia II is a multi platform, action video game from 2K Games and featuring a deep mobster driven narrative packed with both behind-the-wheel and on-foot action.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Okay, so I ran the Benchmark on my new hackintosh.
It's a i7 3770k Quadcore 3.5Ghz and EVGA GTX680 Superclocked. That's the best Ivy Bridge CPU together with the best single-GPU card.

I got a solid 40fps on averge, but this is still ridiculus, given that I can play Battlefield 3 with details on Ultra 1920x1200 with about 80FPS!

Just for you guys as information.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Well, I can only wish you Feral guys good luck and congrats for the effort in bringing more titles to the Mac platform, so that we don't have to resort to RIDICULOUS workarounds such as Windows virtualization or Boot Camp.

Besides, I have to admit that most if not all Feral releases I have bought perform really well and are devoid of major bugs or incompatibilities - hopefully other Mac game producers will strive in that direction as well..!

What exactly is ridiculous about running Windows in bootcamp? I'm very grateful to have this option, which I exclusively use for games.

ukraine55

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Awesome Game

Played on my 3.2GHz Quad with 8GB Ram 27" iMac when I had it. Highest graphics and no issue other than the higher fan speed noise. No Lags!

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
What exactly is ridiculous about running Windows in bootcamp? I'm very grateful to have this option, which I exclusively use for games.

Installing Windows on Macs is an absolute NoNoNo for some fanboys.
I did it same as you with my Mac. That was a very good move from Apple to let us install Windows that easily.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
I did it same as you with my Mac. That was a very good move from Apple to let us install Windows that easily.

I agree that it is very easy to run Windows on a Mac and those who need or want to run it should be very happy. I guess I would be one of those "fanboys" that will not run Windows on their Mac, but it is nice to know that I could. It's funny, I have been a Mac user since the mid '90's and I am almost 40 and being called a "fanboy" at this age makes me feel like a kid again.:D

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

Those who want to run Windows to play games should just go ahead and buy a PC instead of infecting Macs with that vicious plague.

I run a lot of modern games on my Mac with no emulation or virtualization needed.

Besides, Barefeats has already shown that any Mac port competently done runs as well as on Wndows - in the end, anyone buying Windows versions is just helping destroy a heroic native market for Mac games.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Those who want to run Windows to play games should just go ahead and buy a PC instead of infecting Macs with that vicious plague.

I run a lot of modern games on my Mac with no emulation or virtualization needed.

Besides, Barefeats has already shown that any Mac port competently done runs as well as on Wndows - in the end, anyone buying Windows versions is just helping destroy a heroic native market for Mac games.

Why would you want to have two computers if you can keep one?
Windows doesen't affect the Mac partition because they are formatted differently. If you get a virus on Windows, OS X will still work.
If you want to play a game that isn't available (and the majority of newer games isn't running on OS X), then go and install Bootcamp.
But if there is a game on OS X that I like to play, then I buy it. To keep that native market you said.
But on the other hand, which games are completely portes?
Colin McRae Rally Mac and DiRT2 are the only ported games on my Mac that run as good as they would on Windows. With all other games (CoD4, Mafia II, GTA San Andreas), I need to put my graphics on a strangely low level.

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
Sooo... what about that patch? I try to play on a Retina 15'' I7 8GB ram and a Thunderbolt display but it's very laggy...

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Sooo... what about that patch? I try to play on a Retina 15'' I7 8GB ram and a Thunderbolt display but it's very laggy...

What's you GPU?
If you have a HD4000, even a performance patch is not gonna help you, it's just not made for gaming. If you have a GT650M, yes, you'll need a performance patch.

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
What's you GPU?
If you have a HD4000, even a performance patch is not gonna help you, it's just not made for gaming. If you have a GT650M, yes, you'll need a performance patch.
Both but how can I know if the game actually uses the GT 650M while playing? OS X should switch automatically...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.